Format: Audio CDChange

on 8 July 2008
If, like me, you loved Clouds' debut released last year, Ledgendary Demo, you'd be eager to get your hands on this straight away.
For those new to Clouds; they are a damn fine heavy rock & roll band featuring Cave In guitarist Adam McGrath. They have a really rawkus 70s vibe about their songwriting & attitude. They're loving what they do and they're sure as hell going to share it with the world, nothing presented this more than the fantastic swinging riff in `New Amnesia' from the debut.

We Are Above You (great title by the way) is a more rounded and varied listen overall than Legendary Demo. Empires In Basements, the opener is quite a sludgy, Melvins-like riff and is alot more downtempo than anything from LD. The whole album has quite an anthemic, epic feel to it; huge harmonised choruses & big power chords.
The Bad Seat is a very melodic easy track that swings along led by the vocals; another great harmonised chorus. Slow Day is the closest I've ever heard to any band capturing the essence of Pink Floyd, it's quite uncanny. The epic, anthemic vibe, the chord progressions and espeically the vocals are reminiscent of David Gilmour wailing away. Yet heavier, of course!

You've also got the usual, rawkus tracks like Heisenberg Says, Motion in the Ocean, Horrification and Year Zero. All fantastic upbeat summer rockers. Although you get a sophisticated air from it too, rather than some braindead metal band playing as fast as they can; everything is measured and calculated whilst and also feeling very fluid and spontaneous. It's an exciting thing to hear.

Clouds came out of nowhere for me back in 2007 and I was again surprised to find another album out so soon after the last, surprised and damn well overjoyed.
I honestly can't find a major fault with We Are Above You, obviously it's not a modern classic or anything, lets not get carried away, but it sure will be up there in my favourite albums of 2008.
Recommended for fans of Torche, Scissorfight, stoner rock and even 70s rock. Brilliant music.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse