4.0 out of 5 stars good - but not as good as Wait for Me
The first album was new and had a rawness to it which made it great. This album is good but the songs are not as catchy. I've a feeling they'll grow on me! Still worth the money though.
Published on 22 Jun 2008 by S. Tuck

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as I hoped.
I loved 'Wait for Me', the first album by the Pigeon Detectives. Almost every tune was catchy, with a strong chorus and a sing-a-long quality that makes every listening equally enjoyable. I had high hopes, therefore, for 'Emergency', the second album by the same band.

Published on 31 May 2008 by Babelmonkey

4.0 out of 5 stars good - but not as good as Wait for Me, 22 Jun 2008
S. Tuck "bozibo" (uk) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as I hoped., 31 May 2008
Babelmonkey (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emergency (Audio CD)

And it's good. Tracks like "She's gone" and "I'm a Liar" are toe-tappingly great, and you'll be humming them all day. The album is also more diverse, which might not necessarily be a good thing: there are a few slower numbers that, although decent enough, aren't quite the Pigeon Detectives' forte.

What I was disappointed with was the way that with some songs, they seem to have lost their ability to fashion a sing-a-long chorus, but with others, they try too hard to make it so. For example, "I'm a Liar" features one of the best verses you'll here from the Detectives, but it's somewhat spoiled by the forced "Ba-da-dum!" chorus. Still a great song, but not as fantastic as it could've been.

And that sums up the whole album really. It's by no means bad - none of the songs are tedious or boring, and there a few absolute gems. In fact, it's good. But there was the potential for it to be great, and that has in many places been missed.

Bear in mind that this is all a matter of taste. Many listeners may love the different style of chorus, or the slower songs, and that's fine. But for me personally, "Emergency" wasn't as brilliant as I had originally hoped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pigeon Detectives Rock, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Emergency (Audio CD)
Never ever disappointed with their music - they are a brilliant band - would deffo be an 'emergency' if it wasnt in my collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Emergency (Audio CD)
does exactly what you want it to do, its an album full of clanging guitars and catchy hooks that'll have you whistling along for days!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound !!, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: Emergency (Audio CD)
One of those albums you never skip a track on, seriously love this band!!! Can't believe this isn't a well known band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emergancy., 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Emergency (Audio CD)
If you enjoyed 'Wait for Me' there's no reason to not enjoy this. It's different enough to not feel like going over old ground but is still reassuringly familiar - there are a couple of tracks that could easily have been on the first album.

It's all good but the best stuff seems to be at the end so if you aren't impressed at first stick with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Emergency, 26 Oct 2010
M. Kidwai "Machineman" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emergency (Audio CD)
I think the reason why the album is called emergency is because they had very little amount of time to make the album. I my opinion this is not one of the best albums ive ever heard, it probably has about 3 ok songs that you might listen to more than once.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great British album by a underrated band., 28 Aug 2010
Ms. P. Mcguinness (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emergency (MP3 Download)
As anybody who has heard this album's title song knows, this band is extremely capable of putting out some great songs which fit the band's energetic persona perfectly.

However, whilst listening to this album, I realised the band was also capable of the more 'emotional' range of songs whilst still avoiding that great problem with a rock band, a thoroughly depressing album.

My favourite tracks on this album are:
'Making up numbers'- as I sit here writing this I can still hear the beautiful clever lyrics to this song, one that really 'gets under your skin'. I do wonder why this track is so far down this album's running order, although perhaps this is because it is so far away in sound from 'Emergency.'

'Keep on your dress'. I felt that this had the greatest similarity to the band's previous offering, Wait For Me, although I preferred it to many on there.

If I have a criticism for this album, it is that, at some points, it can become a little 'samey'. I vastly preferred it to 'Wait for Me', which I felt was reasonably boring due to this, but there are points in the middle of this album's playlist that I feel tell the same story of a boy and a girl going through a breakup. This is not to say that the tracks aren't great, they are perhaps just great in the same way.

All in all, a fantastic album by a great up and coming northern band, who are, in my opinion, unfortunately unheard of by many.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kicking pigeons?, 29 Nov 2009
This review is from: Emergency (Audio CD)
The first couple of listens and this album is pretty good. Lively songs with a certain amount of instant appeal. But a bit too much instant appeal. Two weeks after first hearing it I can't bring myself to listen to more than one or two songs at a time. A fast burner with no hidden depth to the music.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tepid follow up to a promising debut, 16 Feb 2009
A. Henderson (Catalonia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emergency (Audio CD)
Having enjoyed their first offering, this second album has a distinctly 'rushed out' feel to it. The formula for most of the tracks is definitely indie guitar rock by numbers with one track much the same as the previous one. Where the album really falls down as that it lacks the stand out singles of it's predecessor. Forgettable!

Emergency
Emergency by The Pigeon Detectives (Audio CD - 2008)