4.0 out of 5 stars What is a Garden?
From medicinal plants floating in containers on the Amazon to the almost plant-free zen gardens of Japan - the vast majority of the 80 gardens here bear little resemblance to the traditional British garden. This DVD challenges your concept of what actually constitutes 'a garden', and there are many times throughout the series when Monty Don admits to being unsure...
Published on 31 July 2009 by oooo Candy Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Great series
My ONLY complaint about this otherwise wonderful series, is that there is little CLEAR indication in the promo literature that this DVD collection is 'Region Specific', meaning, it will not work on North American 'systems'. I learned this the hard way. Not to worry though, I've managed to view it on my laptop instead. Not an ideal way to watch this GORGEOUS array of...
Published 11 months ago by canadada

4.0 out of 5 stars very easy viewing, 1 Feb 2009
Art "Art" (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Around The World In 80 Gardens : Complete BBC Series [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
!Around The World In 80 Gardens : Complete BBC Series

We spent much of January watching Helen Mirren in ALL the Prime Suspects, which are superb. Just before we finished the SEVEN years of it, we ordered this from Amazon, as we needed something less 'edge of the seat' !

We'd only seen part of one show, but have now seen 3 and can thoroughly recommend it if you want something 'easy on the eye', relaxing, and very well presented. A complete change of tempo from Prime Suspect.

Monty Don puts his EGO second to the show - a refreshing change in these 'personality overdose' years we live in.

Well recommended, but you might have to start saving up afterwards for some around the world tickets!

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 15 Nov 2013
I have enjoyed his other garden visits but this one does not do much for me. My main concern was the gardens he chose to visit in South Africa (I am a South African and live in the country) and could have suggested much better gardens to visit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Around the world, 14 May 2009
Excellent service as always. The dvd's arrived in fantastic condition and within the expected arrival date. They are very informative and a wonder to watch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry!, 22 May 2013
Evy Lindenborg (Denmark) - See all my reviews
Sorry, but this is too much park and too little gardens for me. I was bored so I didn't finish watching it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be so much better without Monty Donn, 8 Mar 2013
Great gardens poorly and superficially described by film and Mr Donn's comments. Inded, I found it better to watch with the sound muted.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference quality work by monty, 30 Mar 2011
An excellent 'reference quality' work by Monty on most of the gardens visited and only 'spoiled' by a few rather tenuous choices 'I think it IS a garden' - despite what everyone else thinks.. hmmmm.
Perhaps choosing 70 would have been more realistic?
DVD is really worth getting but i'd say leave the book on the self.
SR

4.0 out of 5 stars Worlds 80 Gardens, 30 Dec 2010
I have not seen this myself as it was a present that I sent to Australia. However, I have had delighted comments about the series and would therefore recommend this box set to anyone who enjoys Monty and his travels.

5.0 out of 5 stars keeps my husband quiet, 20 April 2009
L. A. Claybrough "mother of two" (Pontefract, England) - See all my reviews
hours of peace while my husband is in front of the tv,,, a must buy

1.0 out of 5 stars Around The World In 80 Gardens, 20 Feb 2012
I was disappointed with this DVD - it can not catch me and I fell asleep many times. So it took a long time to get through it.
Will pass it on to a charity shop. So they might earn a little money on it. Get I will certainly not see it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Around the Wrld in 80 Gardens, 18 May 2009
Ms. M. Dixon "Margo" (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
Can't really review this as I have not watched it yet - I did see the TV version so if it is the same then it will be good.