4.0 out of 5 stars What is a Garden?
Published on 31 July 2009 by oooo Candy Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Great series
My ONLY complaint about this otherwise wonderful series, is that there is little CLEAR indication in the promo literature that this DVD collection is 'Region Specific', meaning, it will not work on North American 'systems'. I learned this the hard way. Not to worry though, I've managed to view it on my laptop instead. Not an ideal way to watch this GORGEOUS array of...
Published 12 months ago by canadada

4.0 out of 5 stars What is a Garden?, 31 July 2009
This review is from: Around The World In 80 Gardens : Complete BBC Series [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
From medicinal plants floating in containers on the Amazon to the almost plant-free zen gardens of Japan - the vast majority of the 80 gardens here bear little resemblance to the traditional British garden. This DVD challenges your concept of what actually constitutes 'a garden', and there are many times throughout the series when Monty Don admits to being unsure himself.

The journey he makes across the globe is fascinating, with lots of history and cultural references added to the gardens he visits. Monty is an enthusiastic presenter, and he is quite honest with his evaluations..... and even when his opinion is not so forthcoming you can usually sense if he feels disappointment or pleasure about the places he visits.

I thoroughly enjoyed the series and I am glad I purchased the DVD, however I would have preferred if he had named more of the plants and trees we see around the world. Failing that, a glossary as an extra on the DVD would have been nice. Sadly, there are no extras at all. Sound is 2.0 Surround with English subtitles available.

Programmes:
01. Mexico and Cuba
02. Australia and New Zealand
03. India
04. South America (Brazil, Argentina, and Chile)
05. United States of America
06. China and Japan
07. The Mediterranean (Italy, Morocco, and Spain)
08. South Africa
09. Northern Europe (UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Norway)
10. South-East Asia (Thailand, Singapore, and Indonesia)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Travel/History/Gardening Series, 9 July 2009
P. A. Tamblyn "Phill735" (Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
I never thought I would ever buy a Gardening DVD. This series is awesome. The history and stories behind some of the gardens are amazing. The series goes into social history, buildings, art, farming, religion, engineering, cultural and political areas of gardens. from the floating gardens on the Amazon river to Tea plantations of India, there is hardly ever a dull moment. Highly recemended for anyone who likes a good documentary series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Gardens Around the World, 7 Feb 2009
J. Davenport - See all my reviews
My husband and I have always enjoyed Monty Don's enthusiasm about his
gardening and everybody's gardens no matter how small.
We watched some of the series on TV and can now watch this marvellous
series anytime of the year of gardens around the world each one always
gives us great pleasure. Well done Monty. We really miss seing him on
the TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Photography!, 24 Sep 2011
TSKJR (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this a year ago and tucked it in amongst my collection of DVDs for future viewing. What a mistake! I should have watched it immediately! Of all the DVDs I've seen (and I've seen many) this has to be one of the "top 5" most beautifully filmed. Now I watch it whenever I need a pick-me-up after an exhausting day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value with Mony Don, 26 May 2012
G. R. Hunt - See all my reviews
I was amazed that just four DVDs could contain so many hours of fascinating, enjoyable viewing, together with the usual intelligent and informative commentary from Monty Don on some of the worlds greatest gardens, all with such enormous variety and cultural background. Monty is right when he says that gardens are a real insight into the many different cultures and peoples that occupy our world, yet all demonstrae the common bond which we have as human beings in valuing the space and contents of gardens. A great value set of DVDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars This has to be the all time classic garden tour, 30 April 2012
My wife and I watched the whole series when it was first broadcast on the BBC and we were simply amazed at the astonishing variety of gardens in the various programmes. Did I know about Rousham? ( no - but even with Monty walking around in the rain, I know far more about it now!) Did I know about Sissinghurst?( yes - but Monty's visit and summary helped me completely recapture the experience and was so accurate and to the point! This is true of all 80 gardens visited - so much to learn and so many surprises on the way. Even though the DVD has been out for some time now, you can watch it again and again and discover new delights. If I have a favourite, it is South Africa with the extraordinary garden near Table Mountain. The combination of amazing colours captured in HD and the unforgettable sight of mist enveloping the top of the mountain. I could name so many other gardens which I never knew existed and I am drawn inexorably into a personal commuication and personal visit thanks to Monty Don's remarkable skill - he finds all the salient points and conveys them with such enthusiasm! I doubt if anyone will ever undertake such a marathon again so I really do award this series with the title " The classic Monty Don"!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not one for gardening programmes but..., 23 Jan 2012
I'm not one for your normal gardening programmes, however late one night flicking through the channels I intercepted part of the spanish gardens episode. After wich I made sure I caught a few further episodes. This series visits gardens around the globe, is well formatted, very informative on the designs and history, as well as being very easy to watch. Even if you don't like or can't go anywhere near gardening tools this is brilliant. Monty Don makes this very entertaining with his views and enthusiasm. I do not believe any other presenter could have pulled this proramme off so well. I Liked it so much I even brought a copy for my sister's birthday; She and her husband comented yesterday that they really love it. When I bought mine I think I paid about 20 and thought it was an excellent buy! its now far less than that, it's a 'steal'!
Will I watch it again? Over and over! My personnal rating 9.5 out of 10 enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This guy is a Don blud., 1 April 2014
You just do not know bout Monty Don. This guy is as middle class as it gets but gets the point across and educates without seeming up himself, or without being condescending. Some fascinating history in this as well as all the beautiful gardens. A bargain at the price. Only draw back is the money goes to the evil BBC but i guess i can live with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence throughout!, 13 Mar 2012
A beautiful series, good quality copy and immaculate packaging and posting. I have sent them to my best gardening friends and they cannot believe the excellence of this product and service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful tour!, 28 July 2014
Loved this series. I never expected to be treated to historical gardens around the world. Really took my breath away to see what is out there. It reminds me of an interview I watched on CNN once when they asked Sir David Attenborough if he believed there was life on Mars. To my memory, his answer was: "Nothing compares to the beauty, complexity and diversity of life on earth". I'd even written his words down so I wouldn't forget. They were so profound. This series will show you just that. Prepare to be taken on a wonderful trip of the earths' diversity of flora.