on 3 November 2009
HOMM 3 & 4 both released under 3DO quite long time ago and they are still fun to play.
Not only for me, you can see there are millions of fans and hundreds of fan sites over the Internet, active.

For HOMM 3, it still stays one of the best SLG games around and the expansion packs are worth having.
HOMM 4 and the expansion packs are O.K. too. (Though personally I like H3 much better.)

And it definitely worth the money having both of the games and expansions in such a good price.

If you are new to the HOMM series, this DVD is a good start to go with. Don't expect them to be like today's strategy game.
They are not visually stunning and technically complicated. But if you play them a little longer, the beauty of this game will reveal - simple yet worth exploiting.
on 18 April 2012
Anyone who has yet to try a turn based strategy game could do worse than try out Heroes of Might and Magic III and IV. Previous knowledge of the series isn't required and in fact, most fans think that the third instalment of the series is the flagship product.

Installation on Windows 7 isn't a problem. I think another reviewer has mentioned some issues with Heroes IV and I would suggest running the program in compatibility mode if necessary (right click the shortcut or exe and adjust accordingly to XP).

Gameplay centres around a turn based structure. You will belong to a certain faction and be able to build something each turn which will allow you access to purchase creatures for example. These can then be used to form an army which will be led around the map by a hero, collecting resources and fighting enemies, with the general aim to capture the opponents castles (their base or HQ) and vanquish enemy heroes.

For the price this is a great product. The only annoying thing is that you need the DVD to actually launch the game. This can be inconvenient and you can circumvent this by looking for a "no cd patch".

A great buy overall.
on 7 February 2009
Great games although the fourth part of HoMM saga is much worse than the third one. They brought too many innovations to the game and players can be confused a little at first (especially if they played HoMM I through III). Even the newest HoMM V is better. However I still recommend those games regardless of some shortcomings of HoMM IV. These games aren't new and so they are inexpensive. For this little money you get great adventure for months. Totally worth it!
on 10 March 2009
Bought the package primarily because H3 was included. Installation easy, you need the DVD to play. Anyhow, great to have H4 for the sake of having a complete collection.

H3 is excellent for those who emphasise on working with their brains: to use their imagination to complete the fairy-tale reality of H3, to maintain their kingdom and lead the battles. Overall, the Heroes were NOT intended to be 3D-realistic, by the original creators (3DO, not UBI) (wiki). Compared to H3, H4 is a disappointment in relation to AI, battles and especially music.

So, as H3 is the valuable game in this package, go for it, only if you like to do all the thinking for yourself. If you go for this, you might as well get the unofficial expansion Wake of Gods for free from the internet, which adds much more to the complexity and graphics of H3.

The only issues with H3 are with multi player over the internet - you might need hamachi for that. Otherwise, it is compatible with Vista.
on 2 February 2015
Put simply, these two are amongst the best games I have ever played, on any console, and I have played and completed A LOT of games.

I don't think me adding to all the neverending praise that HoMM3 received is necessary - it is a perfect game and a classic that will be played for a long, long time yet by many.

However, for me personally, whilst having the perfection of HoMM3, I actually prefer HoMM 4. I am not sure why, to be honest, but it is as if they took something perfect and made it... even more perfect. The inclusion of heroes in battles, the ability to transport creatures, the unique graphics, and the great, great soundtrack... I have spent endless hours playing HoMM4 and will spend even more. Granted, the expansion packs were something of a let down, but the game itself is amazing.

Two brilliant games that will not let anyone down.
on 9 April 2014
okay, so these games are in the same series, but there are stack and stack of differences.
3 has more castles, actually has creature upgrades and has a better variety of creatures heroes and maps, my favourite of the two by a whisker.
4 lacks some features like the creature upgrades and the citadel and castle features are way over priced as they dont effect creature growth like they do in 3 or 5.... however this game is probably the best game to start off on, its a bit simpler because of some of the missing features, also the skills are really logically laid out and i think teach you better about skills than some of the other games, which i had to fumble through a bit at first.
would have given it five because its two awesome games at a low price, but my boyfriend managed to get 1-5 for £5 .... git ! so i know they are out there for less :(
on 6 April 2012
I bought this sometime back, and delivery was prompt; it came a few days later.

Initially I was sceptical about whether this could run on my windows 7 system, seeing that the previous review stated problems with it. However, as it was 3 years ago, I figured that there would not be any problem and took the risk.

Glad I did. Both heroes run pretty well on my computer and mine is 64 bit as well. Game play is as good as I remember it to be. It was the disappointment of 6 that made me return to 3 and 4. In my honest opinion, I think that these 2 are the best out of the entire heroes series.

However, if you are looking for 1 - 5, I would advise you to get that collection, also from Mastertronic.
on 25 May 2013
Heroes III was and is a great game that, in my mind, has aged gracefully compared to other games of its age. The graphics are technically outdated, but they fit the game so well that it does not need to have things like 3D animation or high resolution. It isn't completely perfect as a game, but it does draw you into the world that you're visiting for however long you play. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in Strategy! Having the addition of IV that, while slightly more mediocre in terms of drawing you into the world of the game, can be a lot of fun too, certainly isn't bad at all. Good value for the money!
on 14 April 2011
This is a classic turn based game. I used to love it and have often thought about getting a new copy as the old one is long gone. It really does live up to the memories. Certainly nowhere near the standard of new games but then that is not the point of buying an old game like this. Great fun but does become quite repetitive after a while. Very experienced games will probably find most of it a bit too easy - but pretty good level of difficulty for me.
on 9 February 2010
the game itself is brilliant i love it just had to call microsoft as it was sharpen all the time every so often. They couldnt help so you have to save game every so often, otherwise you'll loose your mission