4.0 out of 5 stars Oddly attractive
Published on 30 Sep 2008 by Al Berni

3.0 out of 5 stars Toto, I don't think we're in England anymore
FLASHBACKS OF A FOOL ostensibly begins in my general locale, Malibu, CA. Even the pricey toys of the rich and famous are present - drugs, alcohol, and multiple air-headed bimbos. And, within the film, forty-something actor Joe Scott (Daniel Craig) is being burned out by them all. So much so that he suddenly finds himself on the unemployable "A" list. Then a call from Mom...
Published on 19 Dec 2008 by Joseph Haschka

4.0 out of 5 stars Oddly attractive, 30 Sep 2008
This review is from: Flashbacks of a Fool [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
This film had a lot of minor flaws, which could have been major ones, except for the fact that it had bundles of charm, which made it oddly attractive to me and the person I went to see it with. It was very much like an old stlye british drama that could have been made in the sixties ("Spring and Port Wine" springs to mind). However, I appreciate that many people do not have the patience for such movies nowadays. These days the public seem to want all-action, or violence, sex or melodrama. Anything more slow paced and gentle just won't do. I am glad Craig is the sort of actor who will lend himself to this type of work and I would applaud him for it.

Certainly if you were a teenager in the seventies it helps to appreaciate this film. To quibble about the title, as there there is only one flashback, is a bit of a nonsense really. The characters were interesting and the soundtrack great. The acting was pretty good as well. The strain of just being an adolescent was portrayed well, even though there were a few things that maybe hung together a bit tenuously.
One bit of dialogue was, I felt, not of the time it was supposed to be and that was when one of main characters referred to another as being a "retard". This was not a word (in my teenage world) that was used, and my friends and I knew a lot of obscenties. Most of this world is perfectly believable, however, and when the female lead explains the meaning of 'Jean Geanie' I remembered reading the article she reffered to myself, in the New Musical Express (I think it might have been written by Charles Shar Murray).

I really loved this film and it did take me right back, and made me wonder, sadly, where all that time has gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really wondeful film, 14 July 2008
L. Rainey "Lyn" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flashbacks of a Fool [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
I wonder if this film went over alot of peoples heads who weren't teenagers in the 1970's, I was and thought it captured the era brilliantly, the soundtrack is amazing and I thought that the insight into present day Hollywood when you face no longer fits was very intersting.
I thought Daniel Craig was very good in this role and it was refreshing to see such an actor not in a 'blockbuster'
Personally I was suprised that this film was not a bigger sucess and would recommed it, especailly to poeple who lived through and loved the 70's.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'd be a fool to miss it..., 31 May 2008
S. Boggild "Sam" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flashbacks of a Fool [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
I really loved this film. I was in two minds whether I should see it or not when it came out in cinemas, as I had heard only bad things about it. I thought I'd give it a go anyway...

First of all, I don't think this is a mainstream film, hence the bad reviews! It probably only made it onto the big screen because it stars Daniel Craig.

Personally, I think this is one of the best films 2008 has offered to date, and the sound track is amazing!

If you like This is England, Little Miss Sunshine, or Everything is Illuminated... or if you're a Bowie or Roxy Music fan, I definitely recommend this film to you!

It will make you laugh, and cry! There are some unforgettable scenes, and the costume is fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn | Unlearn | Relearn, 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Flashbacks of a Fool [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
A wise man once told me that we are all products of our childhood and at a young age, I did not quite grasp what he meant, yet as I got older and started to understand human psychology better.... I slowly began to understand the impact our childhood plays on our adulthood. All those compliments we hear, to all those putdowns we endure. From your first lingering kiss, to the final embrace with a loved one... they all shape our future habits and behaviours.

The film centres on Joe Scott, a washed out film star, who heads back to England after hearing about the death of a close childhood friend. The journey back home brings back memories of his childhood growing up with his mother, sister and aunt. He has flashbacks about his first love Ruth and also about his sexual encounter with the married Eve.

A brilliant film, which will no doubt bring back fond memories of your childhood too! A wonderful performance by the whole cast, including Harry Eden, who once again delivers a mature and show stealing performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me right back (when you were young), 28 Oct 2008
G. Kelly "Gerry" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flashbacks of a Fool [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
Sometimes you see a movie and it makes an instant connection with your own life - you know immediately that you've watched something that you are going to remember for a long long time. Flashbacks of a Fool was for me just such a movie. It's a beautifully composed and poignant story about a choice made in a moment and the consequences for a lifetime.

Daniel Craig carefully resists an easy opportunity to cash-in on his success between Bond movies and just push out a clichéd action flick. Instead he delivers an understated but sensitive performance as a washed-up actor with an un-reconciled past, leaving space for an excellent supporting cast. Harry Eden playing the adolescent Daniel Craig character is exceptional.

There are some unanswered questions in the story but these actually serve to make it a better film. The cinematography and editing are outstanding - watch the version of the beach scene, the turning point in the movie, which was kept in the final edit compared with the deleted scene on the DVD. It's a stunning example of why less is more with movie editing. The 70s music and the period had an extra special resonance for a 40-something like me.

Overall a superb movie and one I can highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than it was given credit for!, 25 May 2010
L. Hargreaves "Loupy Lou" (Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flashbacks of a Fool [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
I never heard one good thing about this film when it was released. The critics were so quick to tell us what a flop it was. However being a fan of Daniel Craig and independent/non mainstream films, I decided to give it a go. I really enjoyed it. No it is not family viewing, but then again there is a 15 certificate on it so this should be quite obvious.
It was shot and acted beautifully! The boys who play young Joe and Boots are fantastic.
You didn't have to grow up in the 70's to appreciate this film. Just keep in mind it is not a mainstream blockbuster kind of movie, it's a sad and poignant tale of friendship and loneliness.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unforgetable, nostalgic and beautiful film, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: Flashbacks of a Fool [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
This movie was one on of those random ones you just watch, but end up being absolutely blown away by. Everything from the acting to the writing is SPECTACULAR. Daniel craig proves he is in fact a fine actor, and the wonderful young guy Harry Eden is promising. My only objection is that the movie finsihed farrr tooo sooon. Thats how good it is. The music, the scenery, the costume, is just all wonderful. It has stayed with me longggg after ive seen it. Wonderful. Go and see it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie!, 14 April 2013
Stella Bella (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flashbacks of a Fool [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
A must see especially if you are a Daniel Craig fan! Loved it and the music as well. Brought back memories of a long time ago....

5.0 out of 5 stars I really loved this film, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Flashbacks of a Fool [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
Had very low expectations of this film but I absolutely loved it. Wonderful locations and a nice story coupled with great acting from both the adults and teenagers. Well thought out story which makes you think about cause and effects. Nicely written, with great characters. Daniel Craig fans will love it, as will anyone looking for a story of childhood and regret.

4.0 out of 5 stars was it just teenage angst?, 29 Aug 2012
The comments for this film seem to overlook the underlying and, at times complex, storyline. Teenage angst, but the small world of Joe Scot is collasping, the fight with his best friend, the loss of his newly found love, the sudden realisation of the responsibility of his affair with a married women together with the death of a young child are too much and the flashback scens whilst Joe floats in a "sensory deprivation" state adds to the emotional turmoil.painting a picture of guilt ridden existance and fear of his own actions. The news of his best friends deat are the catalyst to evoke the childhood memories and the core of the storyline.

The visit to England, to his mother, meeting his grown up sister and finally confront the one girl who meant so much..allows Jos Scot to exorcise his demons. The events, the grave of the child and her mother, the history of events since his speedy departure help to satisy the demons. The closing sceneid poignant, and help to bring closure. The sudeen breakdown of the grieving widow on reading the two lines from the Roxy Music song give realisation to her feelings, the relaxed and calm figure of Scot on the plane underline the effects.

The script is witty, and includes gems that help to unfold teh enginma, the defination of coutage detail on the car journey to visit the brave yard give greater clarity to his need to esape his childhood backbround.

the people, the idylic surroundings all contigute to make this a strong emotional tale of addressing coming to terms with your own demons.

Flashbacks of a Fool [DVD] (2008)
Flashbacks of a Fool [DVD] (2008) by Baillie Walsh (DVD - 2008)
5.51