4.0 out of 5 stars Oh I shouldn't but I do like this!
let's get this off my hairy, neanderthal, roots rock loving, Zeppelin obsessed chest, this should not be my cup of tea. This is slightly out there, a bit leftfield and a bit poppy. However, after a few listens it appears that I get this. Think of Bjork, Royskopp and even The Eurythmics and you are starting to get a feel for what to expect from this album. It has...
Published on 19 May 2008 by David J. Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Kooky, but...
My first thoughts were all Icelandic, along the lines of Bjork and Emiliana Torrini, but Lykke Li is not that like them upon repeat listening.

Certainly the 'little girl'-esque vocals put one in mind of Torrini, as does the slightly other-worldly diction, but ultimately, I found the lack of enunciation off-putting rather than charming.

The...
Published on 20 May 2008 by C. Porter

5.0 out of 5 stars Going to be huge!, 25 Feb 2008
James Elliman "he likes music" (Harrogate, North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
Thought I would get in her first to recommend this album, as she is going to be massive, and deservedly so.

The album has a brilliant mix of catchy tunes, minimal, yet warm and melodic. You heard it here first! Buy it, I promise you won't regret it.

Happy listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected...., 5 Mar 2008
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
I didn't really know what to expect but his album instantly struck a cord with me. She has such a great voice + great tunes = best album I've heard for a long time. It's great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Background music..., 19 Jun 2008
Mr. M. P. Duffy (Littlehampton, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you like music for the sake of catchy tunes then this was made for you, and if you like to sing along to songs but have no memory then fear not as the lyrics have all the inventiveness of a loaf of bread. Personally I like songs that actually say something or are about something, even if I disagree with the sentiment, whereas these 'songs' (for want of a better word) have very little in the way of lyrics, which is somewhat of a godsend as her voice becomes quite tiresome very quickly. This is music made for the masses, and I'm sure it will do well for that very reason, but it's not for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars An acquired taste!, 18 May 2008
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is great if you like your music highly synthesised and the vocals minimal. The actual arrangements are not too bad and have a very fragile quality. Mostly the beat and backing carries the album - the vocals, as I said, are minimalist. I found the sound and overall feel of the tracks to be quite repetitive and after a while I got fed-up and irritated by them.

This is definitely one I won't be listening to very often - once in a blue moon probably! Just not my cup of tea I'm sorry to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Internal damage to CD jewel case., 26 May 2011
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
The external packaging was OK, but when I opened the CD, the spindle that holds the CD in the jewel case was damaged (5 of the plastic tabs were broken). Could you please send a replacement clear CD jewel case to make good? Otherwise your service has been faultless.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea., 19 May 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I grew up in a large family and I listened to all kinds of music from a early age. I like pop music and I didn't like this cd. After the few times I listened to this cd I hoped it would grow on me but it didn't, sorry not my cup of tea.

3.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking AND slightly irritating, 13 July 2008
IWFIcon - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
As the old joke never went, you don't have to be Scandinavian to musically conquer the UK, but it helps. Hence Swedish 22-year-old Lykke Li and her debut album Youth Novels.

Much of the anticipation for this album is down to recent single Little Bit. Listening to it it was almost a "Young Folks with a bit more of a dancey vibe" (not surprising considering it bears the influence of co-producer Bjorn Yttling, one third of Peter Bjorn and John) but I couldn't quite make my mind up whether it was charming and ever so slightly adorable or whether or not it was highly irritating. On balance, it just about worked it's way into the former category. The question, to my mind at least, was whether or not an entire album could follow suit.

Alarmingly, I only got two tracks in, with Dance, Dance, Dance to get worried that the album was going to fall firmly into the "irritating" camp. With it's similar sensibilities to Little Bit, but zero of that song's charm, it's not something I can enjoy listening to. Quite frankly, I couldn't find the skip button fast enough.

But thankfully, there is more to Lykke Li than this would suggest. I'm Good I'm Gone does sound, ahem, a little bit like something Feist would do, but there's no denying it's a catchy tune; Tonight is a melancholic and sparse track that underscores her strengths. Breaking It Up's vocal chorus makes it stand out and she saves the best for last with Window Blues. The spooky backing and simple two-note piano riff combine to make an excellent end track (and as you know, I can never resist a girl speaking/singing in French).

There's enough of a variety of good tracks to make this very much a worthwhile listen; sadly there's also just enough that's irritating and cloying. Still, first time around, you can't expect everything to hit the mark.

1.0 out of 5 stars Music for dead people, 18 July 2008
P. Bryant (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
I can't think of a single reason why anyone would want to listen to this tedious stuff, except maybe Swedish indie-pop completists. Well, there might be one, you never know. I was hoping this album might be in the interesting tradition of Black Box Recorder, St Etienne and Goldfrapp. electropop with cool female leads and interesting experimental edges. I was wrong. If a dummy in a shop window could sing, Lykke Li's is the voice that would emanate from its blank countenance. And since she double tracks everything, it's like listening to two shop window dummies at once. Well, if the song is strong the voice doesn't matter too much. But the songs are ghastly. Their idea of melody is to shuffle the same four notes around, and their other idea is to repeat every line 25 times a verse. There's not a single memorable hook, not one pleasing solo, and a total absence of anything resembling rhythmic energy. This is music for dead people, and even they would chuck it off the cd player, except they couldn't because they're dead. Lykke sings "If you wanna complain, I'm not the complaint department" over and over again. She's right. I need to find out who thought this person was worth giving a recording contract to, then I need to find out who hired THAT person. That's who I should be complaining to. Playing this cd several times (just to make sure) I once again found it hard to believe that great pop acts still languish around without any kind of record deal - the one that sprang to mind is the brilliant Sophie and Peter Johnston who also make electronic pop with a cool female lead. You can search Amazon and not find anything available by them. Ain't no justice.

Youth Novels
Youth Novels by Lykke Li (Audio CD - 2008)