Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 August 2008
True story here; you might even like it.
I'd never heard of Bloodbath before, although Opeth is one of my fav's.
Anyway, I was coming back to the Midlands from the Maiden Twickenham gig, and I got stuck behind 2 accidents on the motorway.
It took me 6 hours to get back - should've been about 2.
When I got back I was a bit miffed off, so decided I was going to pop in to HMV and get something nasty and aggressive to listen to.
I started off at 'A' in the metal section, and then I saw this album cover. And I thought to myself that the cover looked THE most metal thing I'd seen all year. So it was purchased.
It's been a long time since my metal choosing antics were solely based on which album cover looked the most METAL. There's a lot to be said for it judging by the result......
Jolly glad I did. Awesome full on death metal, seriously heavy pounding riffage, and a nice little surprise to learn it was none other than Mikael leading the charge and showing us his truly nasty side. No clean vocals here my friends, although he does confirm his standing as a true comedy genius - just wait 'till you hear the crowd banter between tracks.
Needless to say this has become almost a permanent fixture in the stereo (much to the annoyance of the wife), and the back catalogue is being stocked up.
on 11 June 2008
....value for money - the infamous wacken gig from '05 with the legendry line up of michael akerfelt from opeth dan swano and the guitarist of katatonia! need i say more? one off gig with this line up - cd and dvd of the same concert. dvd is amazing sound and quality, and to see them covered in blood is rather amusing! akerfelt is in full death metal mode, and the drummer is excellent too. a super band line up, and the packaging is awesome too!
The Wacken Carnage is a solid first live offering from Bloodbath, documenting their (then) only live show at W.O.A. in 2005. Though they have since performed a select few more shows (one of which is seeing DVD release on Monday), at the time this was a one-off deal, and is addressed as such in the 'twixt-songs banter of singer Mikael Akerfeldt, who leads this particular version of Bloodbath in their only recorded outing- Akerfeldt performs songs from all three Bloodbath releases, including the one he didn't contribute to (2004's Nightmares Made Flesh) and is supported by Dan Swano on guitar, Martin Axenrot on drums and Katatonia stalwarts Anders Nystrom and Jonas Renkse on lead and bass respectively. Axenrot's assumption of the drumming position in the band is what separates the earlier work (on which Swano played drums) from the material released since then, and it's a little odd to see both drummers onstage in different roles.

Anyway, what of the show? The performance is perfect throughout, of that there's no question. For their debut gig, the band is on top form for the full 55 minutes of their set, tearing through the entirety of the Breeding Death EP as well as most tracks worth mentioning from the two full-lengths. Presentationwise, things are a little curiouser. The audio is fine- that trademark BB buzzing guitar tone is present and accounted for, Akerfeldt's growling has considerable presence in the mix and Axe's drums are evenly and formidably represented. As for the video, well, the whole affair looks like a photospread in a 1990s issue of Kerrang! magazine- overexposed and robbed of colour. It seems to have been a conscious decision though to what end I can't tell. At times the image almost looks black and white, though the blood-drenched musicians' stained white shirts are clearly defined. It's not so noticeable until you twig the band logo behind the drum riser and realise it's an awful lot less visible than it should be had this filtering process not been applied so poorly. However, it's not enough to distract or more importantly ruin the show (which is well edited with an attention to observing musicianship and not just wildly capturing the 'concert atmosphere'): just thought it deserved a mention.

The CD is a nice touch but I'm never going to listen to it: the DVD's the main attraction here and to see these contemporary masters in action if a privilege. You could do a whole lot worse than pick this up as a fan of death metal for a solid account of a metal show without as much as a bell, whistle or pig's head to distract you.
on 29 May 2009
I'm getting on a bit (well, I'm 34) and thought I'd left my death metal days behind me but was drawn back to the dark side when I saw the superb front cover of this CD and found out the Opeth front man was on vocals. I probably didn't have very high expectations but I absolutely love this. I didn't expect a live death metal gig to have such a good sound quality and the fact that it comes with a DVD of the set is just an added bonus. Highly recommended.
on 1 April 2013
Man this is ferocious.
They must have been sweeping up body parts for weeks at Wacken after this. It must have been like the aftermath of a Mediaeval pitched battle.
I had to stitch back my right foot and my head after I first played this. magnificent.

Buy or fall to bits. Heck, Buy AND fall to bits.
on 27 January 2015
Classic death metal at its very best! Love this album.
on 8 December 2014