4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite guitar hero PS3, but still pretty damn good!
I'm sure people will be wondering how they could possibly port over Guitar Hero from the main consoles down to the DS. You may be worrying that this is just a cheap copy missing many of the main ingredients that makes guitar hero so fun, but let me put your mind at ease and tell you that this game is surprisingly good!

The guitar peripheral plugs into the...
Published on 5 July 2008 by Mr. P. R. Lancaster

3.0 out of 5 stars Portable but with problems...
first of all some basic info which i think people appreciate but don't find in many reviews:

Game has 3 separate save files to save data.
Multi-card 2 player mode (Multi-card meaning each person needs a game cartridge and Fret board add-on)
Published on 19 July 2008 by Peter Joll

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite guitar hero PS3, but still pretty damn good!, 5 July 2008
Mr. P. R. Lancaster "Paul" (Greater Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Guitar Hero: On Tour - Guitar Grip Bundle (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)

The guitar peripheral plugs into the bottom of the DS and brings the four coloured buttons, the usual version has 5 but I'm not really missing the extra one.

The touch screen is used to 'strum' on the strings of the guitar and this is where the game manages to make you feel a little like you are playing a real guitar.

The tracklist is mainly recent songs (less than 10 years old) such as All the Small Things (Blink 182). They have brought over some songs from other Guitar Hero games which makes the experience even more familiar eg Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Pat Benetar) - the tracklist doesn't contain as many songs as the other versions - only 26 songs, but they are mainly original versions (only about 4 or 5 covers) and good quality.

You can play in 'Quickplay', 'Career Mode' or 'Guitar Duel'. Quickplay and Career Mode are the same as in all previous versions of the game.
'Guitar Duel' is brought over from Guitar Hero 3 and is the 2 player version which must be played locally (not online), they have added some unique features to this DS version. Whilst GH3 duels required you to press certain keys on the guitar to fend off 'attacks' - the DS uses its touch screen to create a much more fun (and sometimes more challenging) experience.

The attacks that someone may inflict on you are very creative and include:-
'autograph' - where a fan demands an autograph, you have to quickly scribble down your name before you can continue playing.
'fire' - where your guitar sets on fire, you blow out this fire literally by blowing at the screen (picked up by the microphone)
'flip screen' where the 2 screens swap places, which disorientates you a little, making you likely to miss a few notes

Overall I can't imagine them having done a better job with a first version. Maybe if they release a sequel, they may consider online play but this is a small criticism for what I consider an excellent game!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun but hard on the hands, 27 July 2008
Ms. L. Scott (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I don't have any of the previous GH games not having the consoles, but have played them at friends places. So when this one came out and I was buying one for someone else I figured I should one for me too!

It takes a few goes to get into the swing of it, but the tutorials are pretty helpful. There's some decent songs to play through and I cleared the easy level in just over an hour or so, laughing most of the time how bad I was. Now I'm working on medium and hard and suddenly those 'easy' tracks really are easy! It's quite addictive trying to master each of the songs and all round good fun.

However the fret board does present some challenges. I find mine doesn't sit so firmly in the slot and has a tendency to slip out just a fraction, but it's enough to diconnect the game. The buttons are also very close together which makes it harder to actually hit the right ones. It only takes up around 2/3rds of the DS length, so maybe they could have afforded to make it slightly bigger. Also, serious hand cramp! After about fifteen minutes of playing you need to take a break. For right handed users, most of the work is done by the left which in day to day use doesn't get such a workout. I find it most comfortable leaning my arm and hand on a flat surface, like a table, to keep it straight.

All in all I think this is a good port over of the main game, and providing you don't want to sit for hours and play hardcore, it works fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Portable but with problems..., 19 July 2008
Peter Joll (Hereford, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars

Game has 3 separate save files to save data.
Fret board includes a changeable cartridge pieces to allow it to fit into either DS or DS Lite (This is because GBA/DS add-on packs would normally stick out about 1cm on the DS Lite).
Strap, pick stylus, and stickers are also included.
Fret board has a changeable skin (more ways to make money I guess).
Fret Board consists of four fret buttons instead of the usual five.
The pick stylus is replaceable and can be bought from any good video game store.

Now onto my actual review:

The concept is great... Take the popular game franchise and make it portable. The game itself is not bad, the graphics are decent for the DS, and the strumming on the touch screen isn't too hard to get use to. you also have four buttons instead of the usual five which in theory should make the game easier and ideal to some players.

"Decent" and "reasonable" are the words that best suite this game as although the idea of taking the franchise portable is great for fans on the go, there really isn't anything new. You get a few features that only the DS can provide such as using the microphone to blow out a fire in duel mode but the game is let down by the difficulty in actually playing the game.

The problem in playing the game lies mainly in the plug-in fret board. For younger players this may not be a problem, but for teenagers and older, the Fret board can be very uncomfortable and painful just to play through a single song! I found it somewhat challenging to hold the fret board where i could both strum and see the screens, and remain comfortable. The frets are also a lot smaller than the original games, which is understandable, but in my opinion, just a little too small for most adult players. I also find the blue fret's position difficult to hit when you consider the length of the pinky compare to the rest of your fingers.

another thing that should be noted is that should you accidentally slide the fret board out of place, and disconnect it, you will need to turn the power off and on again. This can easily be done if not careful, but does not appear to be a problem if it happens when the DS is closed.

All in all you have a game which is fun to play if you can find a way to hold it comfortably, has decent graphics for the DS, and contains some good songs (some are from previous games though). One thing that is missing that i particularly miss is the artwork on the game screens fret board. This is however somewhat made up for by having your guitar of choice on the touch screen to strum.

It is entertaining and definitely worth a look, but at the end of the day, being able to take it wherever is just a gimmick and the game will never be better than the console versions. Get the game if portability is something that you would appreciate or perhaps if the console versions are too expensive, as in all fairness, this game and plug-in fret board package doesn't cost more than most other brand new DS games. But if you already have any of the games in the franchise, you're not missing out on much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suddenly I realise what everybody is raving about, 25 July 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game yesterday under the encouragement of friends with X-Box's and PS3's who said it is amazing. I've tried it on different cosoles in game shops not really knowing what I was doing therefore had a doubt in my mind that it would be too difficult to play, but after an hour I was rocking in career mode playing songs like 'All The Small Things' by 'Blink 182', and 'Helicopter' by Bloc Party, amongst other great modern and older songs. To be honest if my fingers weren't aching so much I'd be on it now - that's the only problem; if you play on it too long your fingers and neck start to ache and you need to take frequent breaks, but it is still worth it! When everybody was raving about Guitar Hero 3 I didn't know what all the fuss was about, and now that I've played it on DS (I know it's not Guitar Hero 3, it's 'On Tour', but basically same thing) I know what they were going on about. I'd reccomend this game to anybody who is in to good old rock music, even if they are unsure that they will be able to play it, because they will be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitar Hero: On Tour, 20 July 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game when it came out (18th July) and i must say i absolutly love it! I have never had a guitar hero game before and i love the way its so different and it works so well! I found myself addicted to it in a couple of hours and getting into music that would never have listened to before! I also love the fact that you use a plectrum type stylus to play!

Unlike another reviewer i found the add-on (with the buttons) easy to use and iam 21 so i would say i have big fingers!

To conclude i think that any guitar hero or NDS fans should buy without hesitation. I cant wait to play this on holiday and look like a complete idiot! hahah!

4.0 out of 5 stars One hell of a game but can get uncomfortable :(, 22 July 2008
B. Lewis "PokemonOverdose" (llanelli, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this game today with the 'Guitar Grip and pick stylus' which i have to say works very well; if you are going to play it for long sessions then i suggest resting every 15mins or so. One other thing that annoys me is that the grip doesn't really say in slot2 very well (the slot at the bottom of the ds). Not sure anyone else agrees with this i dont know.

Like many other people have said, my hand doesn't feel very comfortable holding it. When i go and press the blue button, i have to stretch my little finger to press it properly, this can also get unconfortable.

But overall i have no complaints about the game. It is one awesome game, i have played all of the other guitar heros on PS2 and xbox 360 and this is basically the same except for the graphics. Also i love the way you can shout 'Rock Out!' in to the mic for star power! yeah

10/10 for gameplay
8/10 for graphics
6/10 for Guitar grip

Over all 8/10 Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Take your pick !, 26 Aug 2008
Amazon Customer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I honestly thought people were joking when I heard Guitar hero was coming out for the DS. However my daughter (aged 12) being a big fan of the PS2 version bought it and loves it!

The game itself is as good as the PS2 version, with all the different modes and unlockables. The controller is excellent - a work of genius though sometimes I struggle with the yellow button, having long fingers! You need to get the strap nice and tight for best results. The "pick" is pretty cool too and stores safely in the back of the controller when not in use. I actually find it a bit easier to use than the guitar version.

It won't take the place of the big screen versions (the small display and low volume lessen the fun a bit) but GH fans who need their fix on the road (or at work!) will enjoy this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun to play but only for short times painful, 27 Feb 2009
Mrs. Joanne Froggatt (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is much better than I expected when I first got it out of the box I panicked a bit as I am left handed but there is a leftie option and everything changes around. It is very intuitive to play even for a relative oldie like me. Wouldn't use it in public though the addon with the buttons is massive plus would feel a bit silly shouting rock on at certain points of the game.

One word of caution after only 15 minutes or so of play my wrist was in agony so take plenty of breaks and ease in gently. If it starts to hurt stop.

4.0 out of 5 stars You can teach an old dog new tricks!, 3 Dec 2008
Gillian Hotine (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I own several puzzle-type games for my DS so was rather surprised (and flattered) to receive Guitar Hero on Tour from my son for my 59th birthday this week. Thought he'd maybe bought it for himself and my other son to use. However I'm loving it, have no problems with the grip, and although the music so far is not the sort of thing I know, I'm progressing well and haven't touched my 'serious' games since owning this one! I do agree you can't play it for too long without getting an aching hand but it's very addictive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricy but loads of fun., 12 Aug 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game having never played any other GH game and found it brilliant.

I understand why some reviewers found it uncomfortable to play, and that the grip can sometimes slide out of the slot. I found that pressing my left thumb against the right shoulder button (not used in game)prevents the grip from slipping as I'm holding the ds and the grip at the same time. I also found that when I have my thump in this position, it's comfortable to play and I can hit the able button easier.

If you take a little time to play around with holding the grip and finding what is comfortable for you, then you shouldn't have any problems with the game.

All in all it's a very addictive and fun game.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Guitar Hero: On Tour - Guitar Grip Bundle (Nintendo DS)
Used & New from: £0.01