5.0 out of 5 stars 2 disc special edition - Sex and the City
I pre-ordered the 2 disc special edition from Amazon and as promised it was delievered slap bang on my doorstep on its official release date. Well done Amazon. Anyhow saw the film at the pics, fantastic. Decided to buy this edition and boy what a waste of money. Stick to the normal edition. I thought there would be loads of interviews with the cast but there was just...
Published on 26 Sept. 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment
They say brevity is the soul of wit. Unfortunately this is one of those films that reminds us of that. It also sharpens our appreciation for just how much of the TV show's appeal came from its deft, rapier-like precision. From really tightly written dialogue and spot-on editing.

Of course, whenever a half-hour show gets extrapolated into a full length movie,...
Published on 30 May 2012 by Theo

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW FOR A BLOKE, 14 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Sex and the City: The Movie [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly, I did not want to watch this film, my GF forced me into it, but I'm sooo glad she did. Gents, don't reach for the unhelpful button, I'm going somewhere with this I promise.

You see fellas; there is a technique to this. Buy this for your other half (counter intuitive it may seem, trust me you will not regret this). Instantly she will love you (particularly effective if purchased as an apologetic gesture). When the time to watch comes, get some snacks (popcorn recommended obviously) and sit down with your other half.

This is where you play your ace card. Wait until you are about 5 minutes into the film, get up and tell your other half you need the loo (as I did). At this point, make a hasty exit to the bedroom. Now, its time for some Xbox/PS3 or whatever you want to do for two and a half hours, the beauty in this is that at no point during the time period which the film runs will your other half know you even exist. Seriously, I got a few grand prix's done on f1 2011 and still had time left over to write this review. Gents, this film will be a hit with your missus so get it bought and enjoy your 2 and a half hours of uninterrupted bliss.

Rating: 100% (you can't put a price on peaceful time to yourself.)
Genre: Who cares... It does the job!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars don't let the critics scare you off, 14 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Sex and the City: The Movie [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
I gave this film a wide berth for ages because i'd read the sniffy reviews and read fans of the TV series on here saying it was a disappointment. Well, it just goes to show that you need to make your own mind up because this was considerably better than I was expecting. I admit the first 15 minutes had me thinking 'Oh no, the critics were right'. But the film soon settled into the familiar feel of the TV episodes. Some have criticised the film for being an extended episode of the original show...well, that's fine by me. There is too much girly hysteria in places and the product placement is shameless (note to producers: take flogging coffee shop chains and mobile phones this far and you lose all your credibility). But by the end you're as emotionally involved as in the best of the TV plots, making the film no disgrace to the original series at all. One last word: why does the DVD packaging have to be so screamingly pink? It's an insult to the audience's intelligence. We are not 8 year old Barbie doll collectors!

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Bloke's View, 29 May 2010
E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I hadn't watched the show since Series 1 all those years ago, but my other half and I thought we'd give it a go purely for the NY scenery. There's some nice location shooting and lots of lovely colours, but the bit where the main man just buys a penthouse in Manhattan on a whim put me off somewhat.

They're hardly people I could relate to. I suppose you could say the same about Dirty Harry, Tony Soprano and Jack Bauer, but I'm a man and like that sort of stuff, whereas this whole high fashion thing can surely mostly (in this PC world) relate to chicks.

So, if you're a bloke of the male persuasion it's a pleasant enough diversion, if over-long at 2.5 hours, and whilst the haute couture quotient is astronomical, the body count is minimal. I'm going back to watching Jack torture terrorists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy and sassy, 3 Mar. 2010
Good fun film, bought this to watch with my wife, who hadn't seen it before. She enjoyed, and I was happy to watch it with her, enough to keep me interested. Blu-ray quality pretty good, not reference level, but clearly better than DVD. Sound good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not excellent, 1 Nov. 2013
M. Wilson "KRW" (Midlands, uk) - See all my reviews
Sex and the city goes from TV into Movie Territory and while I couldn't wait to see what the fabulous foursome got up to next I can't help but feel they lost some of the original charm of the series in the transfer. It gets the full Hollywood treatment, you can practically taste the sequins.

A lot happens in this LONG film, Big Jilts Carrie at the Alter, Samantha Leaves Smith, Charlotte gets pregnant and manages to carry until full term. Miranda's marriage is in serious trouble as Steve cheats on her. I like how they take us through the seasons and Jennifer Hudson is a welcome change to the skinny Minnie's. There is a catchy soundtrack and the fashion is divine, there is just something missing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sex and the Seven, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Sex and the City: The Movie [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
A very good movie and I am glad I bought it, it was exactly like the `sex and city' episodes and I do wish it were longer. I personally wish that the pregnancy of Charlotte were more in depth. I felt it was rather rushed. The story behind Miranda was upsetting and at times rather depressing which was rather annoying as I expected a lot of comedy. The break up with Smith and Samantha was well executed and was brilliantly done, the humour towards Samantha and her weight was funny but I felt that it was insensitive to the audience, as I do not think any movie should promote `skinny'. Out of ten, I give this movie a seven. Worth the money, but I do not think you would watch it more than two times.

2.0 out of 5 stars Totally downbeat, 19 Sept. 2008
C. Longton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sex and the City: The Movie [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
What a shame! As a hugh fan of the series I found this a very downbeat last last chapter to the wonderful story that was SATC. Without giving too much away, the majority of the movie was taken up with wallowing in quite depressing emotions, with very little happening in either the main or back stories to offset this. Unfortunately the end reprise came too late in the running time and consequently was not able to not resurect the mood set in the first quarter (let alone the original series). In addition the minor characters, especially Stani, were shamefully under used. Whatever happened to his previous partner? No attempt was even made to explain this. Sadly a triumph for the financial backers over what should have been a wonderful ending. Where was the sparkle? Where was the pazzazz? Where was the writing??? Charlotte was the only one vaguely true to form. Left with an empty feeling and the image that most of these ole gals were simply 'settling'. Horror of horrors! Deeply disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too depressing to bear, 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Sex and the City: The Movie [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
I realise that I'm not the target audience for this film, and I admit I couldnt bear to watch the film to the end. I'm posting this just to express an opinion on the tone and style of the film rather than on the plot.

This, I honestly believe, is made by people who hate and despise women. The characters in this film, especially Carrie, are shallow, witless, self-obsessed parasites with no concept of a world outside their own pampered lives. The thought that these people are meant to be aspirational role models for women horrifies me.

I stopped watching soon after the scenes where Mr Big bought Carrie an apartment. the spectacle of a woman in her 40s talking in a little girl voice to the man she has sex with was repellent. Her vacuous joy at being given a multi-million dollar apartment by her sugar daddy (with a huge closet to hold the thousands of dollars-worth of weird dresses and shoes she's obtained) was nearly as bad.

I haven't seen much of the TV series, but from what I saw it wasn't as extreme in tone as this - are there hidden ironies in this that I just didn't get? I hope so but I doubt it.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you loved the TV-show...You might find this a complete let down, 21 Aug. 2010
Mr. A. E. Hall "brother_of_sadako" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sex and the City: The Movie [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
Before I start, I am well aware that most people will simply rate this review unhelpful purely because it is critical. But please read it and see why I don't like this movie; I'm sure others feel the same as me.

I got into Sex and the City quite late on, half way through the sixth and final season in fact. As a single, straight man, then in my early 20s, I spent years dismissing the show as just a chic program...until I actually gave it a chance. I have seen every episode of the series at least three times and love the great characters and the intelligent and witty stories; they comprise hours of fabulous fun.

Sex and the City the show is also an extreme rarity: An American show that knew when to end and ended in style. The final episode is one of the finest episodes ever made of any drama, sitcom (or whatever other classification you give it) and culminated in a perfect ending. The final scene with a final look at the four women and their relationships was pure gold. It doesn't matter what happened next because when the show ended, all four characters were in a good place.

So it was that a movie picked up all the tied up ends and continues stories that, from an entertaining and narrative point of view, had already ended. What was more, they were all quite depressing, predictable and far-fetched:

Miranda, the hard faced cow of the show finally softens enough to let a man near her with the feisty and rough diamond Steve. Steve puts up with all manner of behaviour from Miranda and stays loyal despite how badly she treats him. Yet in the film, in a bizarre twist, he cheats on her and she leaves him. This is both implausible and depressing.

Samantha is the sex beast of the show, ploughing through men and eating them alive. In what is only her second serious relationship of the show, she finally settles for Smith, her toy boy. Young, successful, handsome and hunky, Smith is both strong enough to handle Samantha and kind enough to win her heart. So they decide after a rather tedious subplot to split them up. This serves only one purpose; to bring Samantha back to New York despite the fact that it would have been better to leave them on the East Coast in and keep them together, more entertaining and less depressing.

Charlotte, the perfect princess of the show gets in right second time around in the most unlikely of men with Harry. Her part in the film is pointless; the show ended with the knowledge that she and Harry would adopt a baby as she was extremely unlikely to ever conceive. The film ends with her (now in her forties) getting pregnant, completely by chance. We are expected to believe that while the 35 year old Charlotte had a 15% of getting pregnant, being over 40, her oven can be bunnified. Unbelievable and very predictable.

And finally Carrie. The whole six seasons saw a 'will she won't she' tale with Mr Big. The beauty of this though was that you genuinely believed the 'won't she' part. We were constantly given red herrings like the hilarious politician who liked to pee to the serious relationships with Berger, Alexander Petrovsky and of course Aiden which you really thought would work out. But with the film, you KNOW she is going to end up with Mr Big and so the two hour 'won't she' is as unengaging as it is transparent.

The film drags on for two hours that you saw coming but never asked for, is very unsatisfying and totally unnecessary.

For me, the whole film can best be summed up by one scene near the start of the film. Finding out that she must clear out her wardrobe, Carrie does a fashion parade for the girls, trying on a variety of outfits that she wore throughout the series. Now what is the point of this scene? Does it tell us something we didn't know about any of the characters? No! Does it advance the plot? No! It is five minutes of fluff to show off some pretty clothes. And the clothes, just like the whole movie, were better in the series and superfluous this time around. The perfect ending of the show continues and flops. If you loved the series for the fab fashion then you will find this a treat: Shoes that had my wife drooling and me hiding the credit card, dresses straight of the catwalk and glitz and glamour. But personally, Carrie and co could have swapped Dolce and Gabbana for George and Tesco - I wouldn't have cared and probably wouldn't even have noticed. And as for the Manolo Blahniks? She could've worn Clarks for all I care. If you loved the wit, humour, drama and brilliant stories that made the show such a hit then you will find none of them here and will be well and truly bored as was I.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 disc- Special Edition, 5 April 2010
This movie did the tv-series well. Sex and the City has never appeared more glamorous, more go-getting, more funny, inspiring and dramatic. I was happy to see that funs would be given the option of buying the 2-disc special edition (which I did) and was very happy with, both, the special features and the movie. Will definitely be watching this more than once. Go on, add this to your cart, you know you want to :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

Sex and the City: The Movie [2008] [DVD]
Sex and the City: The Movie [2008] [DVD] by Michael Patrick King (DVD - 2008)