Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 June 2001
This is a very experimental, space rock. Expect white noise and lo-fi tracks (I tought my cd was defective because it sounded so low). I bought this cd because the reviews were geat.. but they didn't warn me about what to expect here, I'm not dissapointed either this is just too progresive and I'm not still prepared for the next step (I'm still trying to like Kid A from Radiohead).
But if you want complex, intertwining set of crawling instrumentals, shimmering soundscapes, and shards of noise look no further. This cd starts very slowly and at times it seems that they are not changing the pace...
Listen to it first and don't believe all the reviews posted around, this is a very special kind of music... not for me tough.
on 20 May 2000
Not being a fan of alternative music, after hearing about Mogwai from a videogame soundtrack and reading the reviews, I decided to take the plunge. This album has really opened my eyes to music other than R&B and hip-hop (+ 80's music). It is refreshing to hear something different and Mogwai have worked wonders with this album. My personal favourites are 'R U Still 2 in it', 'Tracy', 'Mogwai fear satan' and 'A cheery wave from stranded youngsters'. The best of these has to be the epic 'Mogwai fear satan', a thought-provoking 16-minute journey through a spectrum of emotions. The flute melody mixes beautifully with the light & heavy guitars to make heaven seem a perfect place for this song to be. Superb. The only criticisim I have of this recording is the very heavy guitars on a couple of the songs ('Like Herod' and 'With Portfolio') which for me, spoils them, and is the reason why I have given 'Young Team' 4, not 5, stars. But if heavy metal (or any other type of music for that matter) is your thing then don't hesitate - buy this now!