on 16 October 2008
I have just purchased the samsung PS42A457P1DXXU and what a great tv. This is the first plasma ive bought and I had a normal tv before. The picture is great,tinkered about with the settings and in the end settled on the original settings but changed it to the movie mode and WOW..... a clear picture for watching anything from emmerdale to england footy. It was the price that swayed me to buy this but i'm not at all dissapointed. Lovely looking tv, adjustable screen angle and massive screen. Would reccomend to anybody wishing to spend 500 quid on a tv.
11 comment126 of 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2009
Brilliant Plasma TV! Lots of different settings for Picture and sound. Good blacks, very bright and vibrant nice colours. I've seen a few LCDs and I'm glad we got this plasma! The viewing angle is superb and you can still see it from any angle, even at the side or below lying down on the sofa. Ours is wall mounted (bought a bracket for around £30) and its quite a heavy TV, so it needed two of us to lift it on. We all think it looks much better on the wall and you soon get used to the size and position. The SRS truesound seems good to me, but I think if you want cinema like sound, you should buy a separate surround sound system, or connect extra speakers in the sockets provided. We've got our Xbox 360,(HD AV plugin leads), Virgin Cablebox,(AV), Wii, old video (both SCART) and Laptop (VDU D pin and S Video connector)connected. We're going to buy a HDMI DVD player or Bluray to use up 1 of the 3 available HDMI slots. The Samsung PS42A457P1DXXU for us, is very good all rounder and we're very pleased with our new shiny black TV! Great price, great TV.
on 10 February 2009
This TV is great, brilliant picture, easy to use and looks really, really expensive althouth it was a great price. It was Xmas pressie for my Hubby and it was very much liked. I would definately recommend plasma over LCD which was the one debate I had, I did panic about the ghosting but have had no problems yet, touch wood and have played wii on it.
on 25 March 2009
1st time we have had a plasma, always gone with an lcd before, but we're glad we did. This TV is amazing and fantastic value for money. You can't really tell from the picture but the casing is a very shiney piano black - v stylish. My partner is an aerial & satellite engineer which means he sees lots of different TV's and he is really pleased with our purchase. Would def recommend.
on 25 March 2009
Samsung PS42A457P - 42" Widescreen HD Ready Plasma TV - With Freeview
I searched all local stores and the internet to find the best price for this product and Amazon were the best for price by far, as i have used Amazon many times before for smaller purchases i was confident i would have no problem purchasing this TV, i ordered on a Saturday and the TV arrived at my home on the Tuesday, I can,t praise the service enough, the TV has lived up to all expectations , superb picture, easy to use and looks great, it was also very easy to set up, and if i can set it up anyone can, thank you Amazon and Samsung - FANTASTIC
on 26 January 2009
Had a Samsung 32 LCD before this and i am 100% Happy with my new purchase. I thought that 42 would be Massive, but after a few days the size just seems normal. The Blacks and Fast Action are Noticably Better than on my previous Samsung LCD TV and the picture is a lot more natural, like on old CRT TVs. The sound like on almost all LCD or Plasma Tvs lacks punch, but this is to be expected from a Slim TV. Go on Treat Yourself.
on 24 March 2009
I bought it to replace a 36 inch Panasonic CRT type TV. It is the third Samsung flat screen TV that I have bought and I would recommend them to anyone. I have both 36inch LCD 50inch Plasma and this 42 inch Plasm. They are attractive, the picture quality is excellecnt and I will carry on recommending them to friends. PS. I use the 36 inch LCD as my PC monitor+bedroom PC it's great.
on 8 May 2009
Overall this is a great TV. I love the picture. Having seen plasma, I am *so* glad I didn't get LCD - if picture is your top priority, at this price you can't beat the Samsung. As others have said the built in speakers are kind of naff, but I think all tellys have this, every one I've tried anyway. If sound's a big deal, you use an separate amp, or put it through your mini system, or if you're really into it you get a 5.1 amp and have all those spooky obelisk speakers around the room. I've got a separate amp, and it's great. But with this TV, the sound happens before the pictures! Something wrong here guys. Very weird. Google tells me I'm not the only one, either, so if you plan on having your nice big speakers wired up to for films etc you might want to figure this sound thing out. I haven't done so far, and it's driving me crazy.
on 30 March 2009
A great product. Sound from the TV itself is not the best, but when used with a Home Cinema System, it is fine. Picture quality is excellent.
on 30 May 2011
We searched the Internet reading forums and many many Customer reviews before we bought this TV. We have had this TV for the past 3 years, have never had a problem with it and it has the highest picture quality out of all our friends TVs.

If you are thinking of buying this TV then don't worry, it has been tried and tested and you won't find a better TV for pic quality, general quality, sound quality, response time etc.

There are many TVs out there that are just crap, don't buy a TV without looking into it properly. You won't go wrong with this one.