5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely, the dance music album of the year so far!!
Published on 4 Jun 2008 by Ironmonkey

3.0 out of 5 stars The Worst thing I could probably say about this is it's
OK...

Presumably the added crackle plays well for those who choose to sport an ironic full-facial-fungus, and purport to have always preferred the holy !!VINYL!!
Published 9 months ago by groucho

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely, the dance music album of the year so far!!, 4 Jun 2008
This review is from: Los Angeles (Audio CD)
Quite simply stunning! Dark, mysterious, twisted, deeply bass thumping, completely and utterly mystically original. What is it about Flying Lotus's sound that really puts the hook in me? His music is the equivalent of a nightmarish psychedelic trip through the London Underground. You are rocked, jolted, rattled and blinded by the complete miasma of sound, noise and off-kilter subterranean bass rhythms. `Los Angeles', Flying Lotus's second long player, is an intricately produced, detailed composition. It is the experimental and maturing sound of black America embracing electronic music, a peculiar brew of thundering Hip Hop beats, Jazz and the blues. In this age of lap top musicians and MP3 DJ's, Flying Lotus literally soars above the competition.

I've not heard anything like it. I very much like it and I implore you to buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly accessible, 3 Jun 2012
This review is from: Los Angeles (MP3 Download)
As I jumped into Flying Lotus' music with Cosmogramma and the Reset EP, I knew that I liked his style of music composition, but he isn't always the most accessible artist to listen to, especially with Cosmogramma. When listening to previews of the tracks on Los Angeles I feared that it was a step to far - each track seemed to be too schizophrenic and the whole album had no particular direction to it.

Fortunately I took the plunge and bought the album, as when listened to in it's entirety they all work very well together. I would actually say that this album works better than Cosmogramma, given that more tracks are allowed to form their own flow before mutating into something else. As such, I'd probably recommend this as a newcomer's first entry point into Flying Lotus. If you like groundbreaking beats you should find a lot to love in this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting 'Ambient' Music, 7 Jun 2011
This review is from: Los Angeles (Audio CD)
I listen to this album frequently when studying, writing, coding or reading. It stops me getting bored without being distracting. An excellent record, very intricate and unusual. It might not be to everyone's taste though, so listen to some tracks before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal record, 13 Mar 2009
Ian Shine (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Los Angeles (Audio CD)
This is one of the most absorbing albums I have EVER heard. Crunching sounds are recycled across the record and all the tracks are mixed together to create the sense of one amorphous whole, rather than a series of separate entities slapped together to make an album.
For those who don't know, this is an instrumental hip hop record that evokes the beats of Roots Manuva and Red Snapper, but it's about 10 times more interesting than both of them. The range of sounds and the way they're blended together is gorgeous, danceable, and avant garde. There are elements of glitch on there, and in that respect it recalls the work of Oval, although it is still firmly lodged in the hip hop sphere.
You have to listen to it to understand how transcendently brilliant this record is, and preferably do it on a good pair of headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cacophony of Awe, 7 Dec 2009
This review is from: Los Angeles (Audio CD)
Yesterday morning I awoke to find this album sitting on my kitchen table. Despite the fact that I had never laid eyes on it before, I knew it had been there forever.

I lowered myself to the floor and pressed the disc to my cheek; it was unnaturally cool. Disorientated and confused I lay there, paralysed, as an almighty cacophony broke about my person. Jangling, bitter, discordant and utterly beautiful, I wept like a child until it past and dusk once again settled its mantle of calm about my shoulders.

For this reason, the fact that I own no other possessions and to combat the dreadful low-frequency throb that fills my soul when I am not awarding marks to things, I give this object five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Los Angeles!, 7 July 2008
Mr. S. H. Parkin (Brighton, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Los Angeles (Audio CD)
I'd only heard the odd track by Warp's new prodigy Flying Lotus from what i presume were his previous releases, and they gave me the impression that this was an artist with an idea on how to take glitch-hop and turn it into his own 'thing', but didn't have the focus to push it through.

How this album proved me wrong. On reading a couple of positive reviews comparing his to prefuse 73, who is a personal favourite, and claiming that he was 'inspiring a new generation of warp-heads', i bought the album and am thoroughly gratefully i did.

The mix of inventive percussion, skipping glitchy beats, synth patterns, and hints of vocals really comes together, and is bound together by some really slick and beautiful production, which elevates him above most of his contemporaries in my opinion. He has not been bound by the trademark 'warp' sound, and has crafted one entirerly of his own.

On first listens the album seemed a tad samey or the tracks indistinguishable, but that feeling is soon done away with on multiple listens, and each track is revealed to have it's own layers, feel, and rhythm, as this is very much a rhythmic, percussive album. Also, the work seems cohesive, rounded, and together, which is to Flying Lotus's credit, as the tracks merge into each other seemlessly.

Overall; a contender for album of the year, and highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Worst thing I could probably say about this is it's, 2 Oct 2013
OK...

Tried to like this, but is trendier than needs to be, don't hear any new ground being broken, just musical masturbation really - the soundtrack to a thousand brooklyn dinner-parties, albeit sporting some nice retread beats and jazz-like stylings, so 6.5 for me, and I'm in a generous mood tonight...
Tread carefully, it's almost awful(ly cool) ZZZzzzzzz...

2.0 out of 5 stars I must have been sent the wrong album!, 25 Jun 2008
This review is from: Los Angeles (Audio CD)
On reading the two reviews above I decided it was worth getting this album. What a mistake. If you can get over the incessant and distracting artificial crackle that has been added onto the majority of the tracks you are left with a mish mash of sounds that don't really stick together. The album doesn't really go anywhere - as for the beats, I found they had an annoying 'out of time' feeling. Avoid!

Los Angeles
Los Angeles by Flying Lotus (Audio CD - 2008)