4.0 out of 5 stars A Slightly Lesser Flavour
Published on 18 Feb 2010 by Mr. H Chinaski

1.0 out of 5 stars Say no!
Why would anyone ruin such a great game with windows live?Why so many good games have horrible drms?I only wrote this just to add one more lone star review.Say no to windows live,SecuRom and all kinds of drms and pimps.
Published 15 months ago by minimalistis

4.0 out of 5 stars A Slightly Lesser Flavour, 18 Feb 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bioshock 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
OK this is a review based on the game and not the DRM issues, Steam or the limited activitions. I disagree with all these things (except Steam which I personally find to be a superb service on the whole) and my thoughts regarding games publishers deciding how many times we can install and enjoy their games would'nt fit on the entire Amazon site. Just be aware that I am strictly against the idea. Anyway, having purchased and (agonisingly) download the game from Steam I am in a position to give an opinion based upon the actual game and not the issues surrounding it. So here goes.

The game is set 10 years after the ending of it's predesessor. After the downfall of Andrew Ryan and Fontaine, Psychologist Dr. Sofia Lamb has taken control of the under water city of Rapture. After wrestling control of her biological daughter Eleanor from the grasp of Big Daddy 'Delta' (who you will play as) she sets about controlling all the little sister's throughout Rapture. (sorry to anyone not following, go back and play Bioshock to understand my ramblings). At the start of the game Eleanor Lamb is now all grown up and wishes to be reaquainted with her Big Daddy and also stop her insane mother from destroying her beloved utopia. From this point onwards the events of Bioshock 2 take place and I would hate to ruin anyone's enjoyment by revealing parts of the plot, just know that although the story is not as strong as the original, it has enough twists & turns to entertain throughout the 8 or 9 hour playing time. However, my first complaint is of the prime antagonist (Dr Lamb), she is just not that prominant and her desires seem tame in comparison to Andrew Ryan's breath-taking plans. The use of radio-relayed messages to tell the story and give a little insight/backstory is still an inspired move but does also seem a little dated now after both the original Bioshock and the fantastic Batman: Arkyum Asylum implemented the idea so well. But all-in-all the plot and script is still of a high calibre and most should find it enjoyable.

One area in which the game has received a bit of a face-lift are the physics of combat. The game feels much more fluid than the original with the use of the right mouse button to execute plasmids (magic powers for the un-iniciated) and the left button for the use of various guns. The whole experience just feels better and gives you an unending amount of ways in which to dispatch your foes. One complaint which could be levelled at it is the fact that their are very few new plasmids to play around with and the ones which are new only become available towards the end of the main story. This is a problem I would also label at the rest of the game, it all feels like we've been here before with the developers seemingly taking the minimal amount of risk. The layout of the HUD (Heads Up Display) is exactly the same as the original, the game uses the same Unreal engine so it looks and plays the same as the original and the art design of the levels is exactly the same.

One risk the developers did take was to implement a new hacking method in which you have to stop a moving arrow within a certain area. The fact that you have to do said task whilst fighting off splicers (the zombie-like mutants) makes for a much more frantic experience than the first games 'PipeMania' inspired minigame. General fights are now also a much more chaotic and exhilerating experience, with splicers taking cover behind any object and trojectiles seemingly ricocheting off of all surfaces. Big Daddy battles are also a much more tactical excersise. You can now employ the use of mini-turrets and hacked security terminals to fight alongside you.

This sequel also introduces the Big Sister. These are basically various Little Sisters who have grown and taken their fashion sense from the diving suit prima-donna's The Big Daddy. Their goal is to release all the little sister's from their supposed incaptivity by the ambling Big Daddy. The arrival of any Big Sister fight is met with a banshee-like squeal which warns you of your impending doom, for Big Sister battles are the most challenging aspect of the entire game and the finish of any will be met with ahuge amounts of relief and a great sense of satisfaction.

Another disadvantage this game suffers from is the lack of memorable locations. The first game had many places which will live long in the memory like Fontaine Fisheries or Olympus Heights (who could forget Sander Cohen?). At the end of this game I struggled to differenciate one area from another, instead it all felt like one long level which by default makes the game feel longer and more laboured than it's predesessor. This is a shame as the idea of Rapture and it's epic innards are what most draws me towards this series of game.

The multiplayer aspect of the game feels a little stilted and tacked-on for me. I don't beleive the game needed the added dimension that multiplayer brings and there are much better online shooters already on the market. The three modes of play are entitled Survival Of The Fittest (which is basically solo deathmatch), Civil War (team deathmatch) and Turf War (Capture and Hold). All are rudimentry and do their job well enough but I don't think I'll be giving up my time on Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress or Call Of Duty any time soon.

So in summary, I'd argue that the basics of this game in some ways surpass the original with much better fighting physics and the introduction of the dreaded Big Sister, but in so many ways it is the inferior sibling with the weaker storyline, dissapointing locations and poor antagonist being the main culprits. This feels like a proper sequel and not a rushed release and most people who enjoyed the original will find much to admire here as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Say no!, 26 May 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars No serial number supplied with this purchase, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Bioshock 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
The game arrived quickly, new and sealed in cellophane wrapping.

Installation went smoothly on windows 7.

Unable to play online or sign into windows live to update the game automatically or record achievements as no serial number is supplied.

No update on the disk and had to manual search for the 160M file.

I emailed barcode bargains. and received the following reply.

"The game itself can be played by yourself as you will know without any further codes, and to access the online version this can be done simply by contacting the makers themselves
The details are below

The reason they did not add these codes in the box is because it was re-released item at a fantastic low price, hence the price you paid, and have introduced this way of getting the codes. It is a growing trend with older games that have been reissued, If you are ever unsure of this issue in the future for a game, feel free to email me and I will provide the answer for you" Alice barcode bargains.

This maybe true for old games, I don't know as I have not experienced it before, but as it's advertised as "Games for Windows LIVE" but not supplied with a code to access windows live I'm not over impressed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the game, but for this edition without a keycode..., 13 May 2013
This review is from: Bioshock 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Not explained in the text, but this edition has no manual and it therefore singleplayer only.

You cant get a code out of 2K as the seller suggested for multiplayer, they wont give you one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story., 20 Dec 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bioshock 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Had I written this review after my first day of playing it I would have given it 1 or 2 stars. I wasn't that impressed with the original Bioshock. I didn't like the big arrow constantly pointing you in the right direction, and the vita chambers kind of took away the whole sense of urgency you need in a game. However, I saw it was cheap so bought it owing to the lack of decent PC games about.

It didn't start well. Windows Live sucks, and needed to be updated about 3 times before it would allow me to play the game. As this involved a download and a reboot each time, it was a pain.

Then, for the first couple of hours, I found myself plodding around distinctly familiar locations. It was all very pretty on my rig, and ran very smoothly, but it all seemed, I don't know, dull? Had it not been for the fact that I had no other game to play. I might very well have given up after the first day. However, I read a review on here that said things picked up after the first main level was finished, so I decided to carry on.

Sure enough, things did pick up. You get the feel of your plasmids. Your get a couple of weapon upgrades, and you take out some Big Daddies. All of a sudden, you have a Big Sister to contend with. Then you get the feel of the whole game. Basically, its a series of big levels. On each level there are three little sisters, which you need to adopt or harvest. I chose the good path, of adoption. to adopt a little sister, you have to kill her big brother first. How you kill the Big Daddy is entirely up to you, and this is a big plus point to the game as you can be as creative as you want. There are a plethora of attack styles so you have no excuse to get bored in that department.

Once you have a little sister, you carry her to a suitable corpse, and let her extract Adam from it. While she is doing that, you will come under attack from increasingly violent hordes of splicers, so you need to plan your defence accordingly again.

When a little sister has fed twice, you take her to a suitable vent, and make her normal, or harvest her for Adam. The more Adam you have, the quicker you can upgrade your plasmids. However, I chose what I assume was the good path, and set them free instead.

Every other time you do this, a big sister will appear, who is tougher than the Big Daddies. You soon know when they will be appearing, and again, you can plan your defence accordingly.

Thats the basic gameplay. In between the big battles, you have to hack your way around the underwater city, and have plenty of shootouts with splicers. My preferred tactic was using the swarm plasmid and a maxed out shotgun. However, there are many tactics available. Its up to your imagination.

But the thing that really swang it for me was the story that unfolded. I found it much more interesting than the original bioshock, and the ending was superb. Indeed, I would have happily sat through a film version of Bioshock 2, as it was pretty gripping towards the end.

Had I paid full price for this game, I wouldn't think this warranted five stars. Windows Live was far too clunkly, and really has no place in modern gaming. Give me Steam in preference any day of the week. But, at a budget price, this is a real steal. Once you have got throught the first chapter, and your character has beefed up sufficiently to have some fun, this game becomes a real blast. Oh, and the big arrow and Vita chambers can be disabled. I got rid of the arrow, but left the Vita chambers. Originally because I wanted to get through the game as quickly as possible so that I could play something better. However, as the game grew on me, I found I wasn't using it much anyway, and the only times I found myself in there was when I had forgotten to apply a medkit. This is a huge improvement in gameplay on the original game.

Its definately one for a mature audience though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Bioshock 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
After a couple of days playing the game it stopped working completely I tried many things but none of them worked. This was sold to me when it was a little broken I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game Bad port, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Bioshock 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
The game itself is good but not on the same level as the original Bioshock but the combat is enhanced and a half assed story but none the less it is still enjoyably just don't expect a strong multiplayer. But buyer be warned that the port is terrible and you will not be able to reload your plasminds unless you rebind then in the user.ini file but is is easy to change just look it up on Google or Youtube.
It is annoying that you have to sing into games for windows live to play and how crap the system is but the game is still a lot of fun to play and at cheap price it may be worth you're time if your a fan but if you're new I suggest playing the original as it is a much stronger title and infinite is not a good place to start as it is very different from the first two games.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good game but expect no GFWL key, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Bioshock 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
after a certain year 2K stopped shipping the games with a GFWL key meaning that you can never play the multiplayer part of the game which doesn't bother me as I do rather enjoy the single player, but it does get annoying having to hide the GFWL pop up upon running the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game is great but.. Oh no! Microsoft had to put their oar in.., 19 May 2013
Philip Lawson (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bioshock 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Great game, watch out for the swearing if you play it without headphones. What a pity Microsoft has to be involved. Install? No, you can install it but be prepared to fight if you want to play it. Why? Microsoft Live. Sign in to update.. No problem. Then it happens. "Please shut the game down to continue the update." Err, you can't shut the game down because the stupid message is in the way. Click to sign in and it tells you the update hasn't completed. Task Manager saves the day.
Still, Microsoft's big feet out of the way, and the game is superb. Even better than the original one. The game-play is smoother, the graphics, as expected, are much fancier and I found the controls easier fr some reason.
Got to hurry to complete it as there's another one available!

3.0 out of 5 stars Forget the other issues, what about the game..., 19 Oct 2011
K. Rosen - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bioshock 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Getting past the other review's concerns with windows live, number of installations and internet access required, heres a review of the actual game.

Having never played Bioshock 1, I can't compare it to anything other than itself and my love of gaming and to be fair it's a good game.
Two things really stood out for me, the sound and the AI:
You play as a deep seas diver clad "big daddy" and footsteps and water tinkling on your helmet are realistic and engrossing. Its not often a point of mention for a game but a deserved one here. As for the AI, the enemies run for health when being pummelled and hide for cover during attacks with great realism. They also spot you when you'd expect them to and you don't feel like the software has any unfair advantage.
The graphics are also very crisps, tip of the hat in particular to the effects when walking under a waterfall and when youve drunk too much booze! A finaly positive would be the difficulty setting, raising in true synchronicity with your character upgrade, however, there's way too much ammo lying around.
My main critisim of the game also comes in two main parts, it was too short and the enemies too few.
It isnt the shortest game ever but it leaves you hoping for more and when there's no huge battle at the end you feel a bit cheated. And the enemies are just to repetitive. I think theres only about 10 different types and no bosses. Some would argue that each large enemy attacks with different elements and styles but they are essentially the same with a different party trick.

Am I glad I bought it, yes. Am I going to recommend it, yes. Will I remember it next year, nope.

Bioshock 2 (PC DVD)
Bioshock 2 (PC DVD) by Take 2 Interactive (Windows XP)
3.29