5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant suprise
I absolutely loved the first Bioshock and thought that a sequel set in Rapture, albeit eight years later, was going to be far too similar to the first. Initially, my first reaction to the new game was just that. However, as I played the game and got deeper into it I began to really appreciate the differences made.

Firstly, the weapons are quite different, the...
Published on 12 April 2010 by Mr. R. Grealy

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cool but not even close to the Bioshock 1 experience.
Pretty cool, entertaining, a good game and a lot of fun. And it is just that. Fun.

Not even remotely closed to the power of Bioshock 1 story line.

As an "independent" game, this would be pretty cool. As the sequel to the massive hit Bioshock 1 was, this sucks.
Published 6 months ago by R. F.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant suprise, 12 April 2010
Mr. R. Grealy "Rob Grealy" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BioShock 2 (Xbox 360) (CD-ROM)

Firstly, the weapons are quite different, the most interesting addition perhaps being the drill. There is also the rivet gun and the spear gun. A funky new addition is the remote hacker, which is used to shoot darts at remote units to hack them, but can also deploy turrets to help defend areas. The shotgun makes a return but is still rubbish in my opinion although the special rounds are a little different and can be quite effective. Also returning is the machine gun (though more like a gatling gun), the rocket launcher and the research camera, although it works like a movie camera this time.

I loved actually playing as a Big Daddy. Of course the player in the first game had to turn himself into a Big Daddy, but this did not affect the gameplay at all. In the new game, you sound, move and attack like a Big Daddy should. It always spooks me a little when the Little Sisters refer to me as 'Daddy' and look at me lovingly with those vacant eyes, but it does make the player feel more like a Big Daddy. I like the fact that the player actaully takes the Sisters to 'angels' to extract Adam. It can be quite difficult fending off enemies in this process, but the turrets, rivet traps, rocket launcher mines and spear traps all come in handy.

I found the new hacking game so much better. The old one, where you had to rearrange pipes, was pretty fun to play but was so repetitive and time consuming, and after 50 hacks or so I began to hate those blasted pipes. The new game features a skill stop game - you must stop the needle on a green area or a blue one, which gives a special bonus that could be a first aid kit or extra cash in a safe.

It was a little disappointing that so much was the same in the new game, such as the vending machines, most of the plasmids and tonics, and most of the denzien types. But how different could a game environment be that is set in the same underwater dystopian city. I found that Bioshock 2 was as addictive as the first in terms of gameplay. I also found the new storyline very good, but thought that the Dr Lamb character was fairly redundant. I think perhaps if the player had a direct affect on her outcome, as opposed to the actual indirect affect, then she may have felt more relevant. I'm not saying that she has no effect on the storyline at all, far from it in fact, but the developers could have made the relationship between her and the player alot more interactive.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I think those who love a good story and an addictive gameplay will love it. Those who expected a game which was totally new but at the same time a clear sequel to the first were perhaps expecting too much. I thought that the game was a fantastic sequel to the first and moved the Bioshock franchise forward - for example, we know now what it feels like to be a little sister and a Big Daddy, and we know more about the power rivalrys in pre-civil war Rapture.

I can't wait for Bioshock 3!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!... Again!, 3 Mar 2010
Max (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: BioShock 2 (Xbox 360) (CD-ROM)
Bioshock 2 is another feast for those with a richer taste in gaming. I've read countless reviews that state it's perhaps a little too similar to its predecessor, which I can't understand as a negative. To me that's a huge positive, for those that loved the first, another dive into Rapture is something to be relished.

This is a completely new premise and plot though. Now you get to experience the might of the Big Daddy (with dual wielding plasmids and weapons). It's a heap of fun, and definitely more action packed than before. You'll be protecting the little sisters as you would have seen in the previous game. Your role is that of the first Big Daddy to be paired with a little sister, however it just so happens that little sister was no ordinary girl. Again the game has you digging deeper into it's rich story and eventually gives you another hugely rewarding ending.

The game play is much faster than before, more difficult with deadlier enemies (i.e, Big Sisters and upgraded Big Daddies). However to meet this your combat system is so much better than before. Tons of new plasmids, loads of weapons, the fun is finding which one's you like best. For me I love to send a swarm of bee's into the splicers then pin them to the wall with a spike. Not only that but there are times when you'll need to protect little sisters while they are harvesting Adam (the substance that makes your plasmids). Here you'll have to be smart and plant traps to defend your spot.

The graphics are once again amazing. Some of the locations aren't quite as interesting as the first game, but they're still very impressive.

Bioshock 2 also goes multiplayer with a fleshed out experience that utilizes the games frantic combat and espionage tactics. There are a variety of options (from free-for-all to protecting the little sister etc). It's an absolute blast with enough customisable options (both character and weaponery) to keep you coming back. This certainly isn't some mini-game tacked onto the main story. Although the developers haven't pushed the boat out to any major degree it's a well accomplished multiplayer.

Overall this is truly a worthy successor to the best game I've ever played. I'm taking this one to the desert Island as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the Same, 9 Feb 2010
Richard Webb "Dr Richie" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BioShock 2 (Xbox 360) (CD-ROM)
I waited with some degree of excitement to play this game, as the original must rank of one the most innovative and enjoyable 360 shooters ever created. In this sequel, Rapture remains a great place to creep around, kill splicers and slowly build an arsenal of retro weapons alongside futuristic plasmids.

However, if we stack the vision required to create the original, covering its art deco aesthetic and pseudo-Randian philosophy, which laid the foundation for a frightening and anarchic post-utopian setting in which gamers could run wild , blow genetic mutants apart, and ultimately become one of them, this sequel doesn't really move the franchise forward much. It's fun, but the setting is essentially the same. A few new enemies and weapons are available, and the designers have picked a new philosophic bent around which to wrap the themes of the game which fits less comfortably in Rapture than that of the original game.

Don't let that stop you buying and enjoying the game, as I did. It's just that I came away feeling like this was a massive DLC add-on to the original instead of a fresh new turn on the incredibly inventive original.

5.0 out of 5 stars great game!, 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: BioShock 2 (Xbox 360) (CD-ROM)
great game pretty much like the first one so was not let down and got it for a bragain price!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Game!, 18 Feb 2014
Sarah (Willenhall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BioShock 2 (Xbox 360) (CD-ROM)
A great game! I love the BioShock series - they're fantastic, intriguing, awe inspiring, and terrifying at the same time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it for the price!, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: BioShock 2 (Xbox 360) (CD-ROM)
I first got tempted by this 2nd installment after reading a review which praised the aesthetics of the game and the scenery just as much as the gameplay and storyline...and then seeing it on amazon for under a tenner, who could resist that when most other games are pushing 40 these days?! Having not played the first one cannot compare to that but has a really sinister vibe which I like and the landscapes are brilliantly intricate even when you're just walking around exploring. I've only given it 4 stars as the controls are taking a while to get used to (probably from playing too much COD) and so i tend to die alot, but a game of this standard for under 10 pounds is absolute robbery so would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant again!, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: BioShock 2 (Xbox 360) (CD-ROM)
right, though i do agree with many reviewers that this game is very much like the original but for afew diferences i think it is an excellant stand alone game. I did play this a long time after the first one and would reccomend doing the same.
however again the deign and atmosphere is superb, the story and characters brilliant and you get a lot of game for your money. I got very involved in the story and some of the crazy characters are very well realized. the ending was just fantastic! at a pinch i would say the first game is the better but this is a very close second and i cant reccomend it highly enough. intelligent, cerebral gaming packed full of inventive weaponry and plasmids! top marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chapter in the Rapture universe, 31 Dec 2010
This review is from: BioShock 2 (Xbox 360) (CD-ROM)
Though there are not much twists as in Bioshock 1, which revealed the whole mystery of Rapture, through Jack's adventure, Bioshock 2 continues the story of the ruined city of Rapture in 1968. Anyway, this time, you play the role of the first Big Daddy, whose origins are slowly revealed throughout the game and who was also important in the conception of the Little sisters protectors. Not only that, you also have to deal with you own little sister's mother, who is not too happy to see that you are still alive. Through the game, you will meet old characters from the first game like Mrs. Tenenbaum, though for a very short time since she has to help other characters, whose adventures are DLC (downloadable content) through your XBoX 360.

All the locations in Bioshock 2 are new environments that have never been explored in the first game, so you're in for a treat with the locations' visuals. The game's atmosphere is still as scary as ever, especially as you haev to deal with a new kind of sister, a more dangerous one.

Finally, it would be important to know that your character's actions will have more of an impact in your ending than in the first one. So be careful if you want to play a good ending, or a neutral one, or a bad ending.

By the way, I have read on the internet, and I do not know if this is true or not, that Sheryl Lee, who played Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks, did some voices for a splicer who, around a fire, talks about Jack's fate. If it is true, then I wished they could have given her more roles in the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to Rapture, 3 Dec 2010
Mr. Martyn Poole "Rubix78" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: BioShock 2 (Xbox 360) (CD-ROM)
When I heard there would be another Bioshock I must admit I was a bit on the fence, my first thought was how they could improve on what I thought was one of the best and original FPS around and the answer was they couldn't.
Not stating at all that this is a bad game because it's just as fun and rewarding as the first but not much has really changed making this game more of an add on than a completely new game experience.
The fact you are a big daddy this time really isn't that noticeable after awhile, sure you here big clunks when you walk or loud thuds when jumping off a ledge but until you see your reflection or shadow it just feels the same.

I am pleased to say that the hacking system is far easier and better than the first which also includes the new remote hacking darts which are a godsend. Leveling up your person and weapons are just the same and a few better weapons to help you hold off splicers like traps, security bots and turrets. I must add that I love the spear gun, it's so much fun that if used right you will never run out of ammo because once you spear a splicer to the wall you can just pick your spear back up and there is nothing like seeing a spicer sail across the room and hit the back wall.

Because you play as a big daddy this time you can adopt little sisters from their previous big daddy's once you dispose of them. Once adopted you again have the choice to save or harvest them which in turn leads to different endings but before you do that you can take them to collect adam from dead splicers but this leads to an all out assault which you have to protect your little sister while she does her business.
The game starts off a bit challenging but I found like the first, once you gain more money and level up a bit you will sail through the game even on a hard level setting.

I will end saying that the online games I have played have been fun and enjoyable and is a welcome addition but the single player is more of the first game but still enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Dumbing Down of the Franchise, 16 Sep 2010
Felicity (South-East UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BioShock 2 (Xbox 360) (CD-ROM)
My title pretty much sums up the gist of this review. This game has improved the weapons and plasmids from the first Bioshock games (keeping the basic principle but making them much more satisfying, on the whole, to use) to the extent that I am almost willing to ignore the moronic storyline. I won't delve into the plot itself here, but it is a far cry from the intricately woven plot of the first game, but I suppose the developers needed some excuse to move you from one location to the next.

The locations themselves are beautiful, with the kind of detail and texture that will leave a real impression with the player. We are perhaps given less range in environment types than we were given in the first game, but the underwater sections really are arresting. However, the characters are not as distinctive as those that appear in Bioshock 1; this can probably be attributed to the weak plot. In some cases, I wasn't even aware that I was having a 'boss' encounter until I realised that the enemy I was fighting had an unusually high health meter.

Comparisons aside, Bioshock 2 is a very good game. The plasmids and your weapons and hacking skills make for riotous sections of fighting, and when you're not drilling Splicers in the face you have a chance to examine the gorgeous scenery. You are given a real sense of the Big Daddy's weight and power, but also the claustrophobia of the suit, through various touches, and the drill hand is disturbingly satisfying to use on your larger enemies. The 'moral' choices that determine the outcome of the game are somewhat clunky, but then few games manage to make these things truly interesing (Silent Hill 2 is one example). Buy buy buy, even if you haven't played the first game, and even if you have.

BioShock 2 (Xbox 360)
BioShock 2 (Xbox 360) by Take 2 Interactive (Xbox 360)
8.95