5.0 out of 5 stars Great shower radio!!
Published on 18 Nov 2010 by Gordon Howe

1.0 out of 5 stars AM radio? Not on this model for UK!
Published on 13 Oct 2010 by T Thornton

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shower radio!!, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: ICF-S79W AM/FM/Weather Band Digital Tuner Shower Radio (Electronics)
I got this as a gift for my wife. We had tried two other shower radios with very little success. In my experience it was not easy getting a shower radio at a reasonable price, but after looking at other reviews I decided to get this one. I have to say that it has been great. It has a good reception, the fact that is digital makes it easier to tune radio stations and the preset makes life easier when you are using the radio early in the morning. I would definitely recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reception - unlike most shower radios, 21 Mar 2011
Damon Rose (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have tried numerous shower radios and they all seem to be shockingly bad when it comes to reception. Despite the huge amount of radio stations in central london (where I lived until recently), I could barely pick any of them up on FM ... maybe Heart and the BBC nationals. It was enfuriating.

This Sony shower radio, however, picks up well on FM and AM. It's like a regular radio, not a novelty item like most shower models. In London I could pick up everything: 5Live, Radios 1 to 4, LBC FM and AM, Heart, Kiss, BBC London, XFM, Magic, Classic, Capital, Choice, the lot.

The presets are great. There are five preset buttons but you can store 15 channels (5 MW, 10 FM).

I've recently moved to Ipswich; my Sony radio came with me. There are fewer radio stations here and transmitters are further away. It picks up BBC Radio Suffolk, Town 102, Heart East Anglia, BBC Essex faintly and KISS East Anglia as well as the BBC nationals. Nothing outside the boundaries, just the staitions targeted at me as a dweller of this town.

On Medium wave: Despite the reports that it's aimed at the US market and hence a little off-centre when tuning in, it's really rather good. Bearing in mind all other shower radios are appalling, as discussed, this little issue is largely irrelevant. But I should note that it's irrelevant to me in Ipswich because it's a target broadcast area with a large population; in more rural areas you may have a problem on Medium Wave.

It's worth a punt. Really it is. And if you DO live in a rural area, and are keen to get BBC Radio Five Live on medium wave: buy it, get it delivered, tune it to as close to 909 or 693 as you can get, try it at night and during the day, and if you're happy with the reception then you're sorted. If not, send it back; being able to pick up Five Live is quite a big deal as it has rolling news and sport 24-hours a day.

One small thing ... the ariel is a very thin wire coming out of the back of the box. I have very recently broken it - it got jammed in a drawer and I pulled the radio not realising. The ariel very easily broke. This has reduced my ability to pick up FM but, as we all know, you don't need an external ariel for medium wave so it has not affected that. But a word of warning ... look after that trailing ariel. I might need to get a new one of these radios now.

Note: this is a good radio for visually impaired or blind users as it isn't menu-driven and so you don't need to see the screen. Once you've learnt to go up and down the bands and do a preset, you're there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for ICF-S70, 9 Aug 2010
We have two of the older Sony shower radios and needed another for the new en-suite. I was dismayed to learn they no longer made the old type as the new one didn't appear to have a hanging strap. I bought it anyway as there seemed to be nothing else remotely appropriate. I needn't have worried, it has one just the same and it has a lot of the good features of the old set, with some welcome additions. It still uses three type "c" batteries, so they should last ages (literally years), it has an automatic turn off, but with the option of varying the duration, unlike the old one which was fixed at an hour. The pre-set stations are very handy and it is more compact.

The only puzzling feature is the weather band, which only works in USA. Why import this into the UK, when it appears from the literature that comes with the set that Sony make a similar radio with long wave instead of the weather band. Surely that would make more sense to import as Radio 4 is still broadcast on long wave? Other that that it seems a good replacement for the old model and if it is as reliable, it will be excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bathroom radio, 23 Aug 2010
This was purchased to replace a old Sony radio for the bathroom which we had for many years. I was a bit dubious whether or not a new one would be as good as the old one, but this looks & sounds great! I would highly recommend it to anybody who, like myself, is addicted to Radio 4 especially when relaxing in bath or shower.

1.0 out of 5 stars AM radio? Not on this model for UK!, 13 Oct 2010
T Thornton "chocky909" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Basically, I am not reviewing the item as a whole as I am not keeping it which is a shame because it seems like a very good quality item. However, this is the model for North and South America.and the result of this is that the AM radio is near to useless as the tuning is all wrong. I bought this mainly to listen to BBC Radio 5 Live which I cannot do. I'm quite annoyed that this isn't explained in the item description. In fact, why is amazon selling foreign electronics that aren't fully compatible anyway? I'm quite annoyed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Next to useless for UK buyers, 15 Feb 2011
Gledders (Chelmsford, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd like to start off on a positive. This is a lovely unit which is solid and great quality.
Sadly it is let down by something that most people will not understand. That is something called Tuning Steps.

For instance in the UK, AM radio tunes in steps of 9KhZ, USA tunes in 10KHz.
This may not sound a lot, but it directly impacts on UK/European listening.

Say you want to listen to Talk Sport. It broadcasts on 1053 and 1089.

With this unit with 10KHz stepping, you can only tune to 1050 or 1060 and 1080 or 1090.
This can be a problem if you don't get a strong signal.

OK enough of the technogeekery. This is the American spec radio which includes AM/FM and Weather Bands.
We don't use the weather band in Europe.

Amazon are selling the wrong unit in UK, which reflects badly on them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 5 Oct 2010
Really great little bathroom radio. Easy to set stations. Neat & tidy. Easy to keep clean. Very easy to navigate between saved stations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio, 14 Sep 2010
Great radio, easy to set up and use. If only my wife didn't change the station every time I leave for work ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Basically it's the best shower radio available, 27 Dec 2011
Brammer (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
When our ICF-S70 radio stopped working after more than 10 years service (the moisture finds a way in eventually) I was dismayed to find that it was no longer available, and NOTHING of equal quality was available either. With a family of four it had probably become the most used radio, so we tried many cheaper alternatives, all useless.

I imported the ICF-S79V from the US at great cost five years ago, and have just bought the S79W via Amazon for half the price I originally paid.

Yes, this model is aimed at the US market and the "weather channel" is redundant, but it is still the best shower radio that is available, and I have searched long and hard. The presets are very useful, the sound is loud enough to be heard over the shower if you want to use it away from direct moisture, and the batteries last for ages.

As for earlier comments that this shouldn't be available via Amazon because it is a US product, then I am thankful that the retailers that use Amazon don't think in such a short-sighted manner. As far as I am aware there in no UK version available anywhere. Some of the comments that AM doesn't work are misleading. The tuning on AM is only in 10KHz steps, but I have no problem listening to 5-Live on 910, and TalkSport on 1090. It might be a problem for some with poor reception, but I guarantee that listening to TalkSport at 1090 on this will be more successful than trying to tune in to 1089 on some cheaper alternative.

I use the radio on a shelf in the shower itself, and it does get a fair amount of water bouncing on it. I suspect it is slightly more susceptible to moisture ingress than the S70 due to the location of presets and controls on the top. After 5 years service our S79V started to fail, but after taking it apart and drying it out on a radiator it is fully functioning again.

Edit: After a year of continuous use I can confirm that our ICF-S79V radio is still operating perfectly, and allowing my daughter to annoy me by leaving on Radio 1 at full volume. Thankfully the presets enable a rapid change back to Radio 4.

Also, in response to another reviewer I should add that the S79W that I own does have an auto-turn off function.

Press "on" once and it will remain on until switched off, press "on" twice and it will power on but then switch off in 60 mins, press "on" three times and it will power on but then switch off in 45 mins, and so on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 2 April 2011
I first bought one of these about 6 months ago, and have been so impressed I've now bought one for the holiday home too.There are many so-called 'shower radios' out there, and yes, some are cheaper than this one, but its very much a case of 'what you pay is what you get'. This is a quality product, with excellent reception on FM - which is what I wanted. It runs off 3, C-type batteries, which last for ages, and the cord on which you can hang it from the shower fitting is also a nice idea. Its also narrow enough to be free-standing on the corner of the bath, but probably safer hanging.. There's even a little suction cup so you can extend the wire aerial and stick the end of it to the bathroom wall.Nice retro style design too, and it certainly looks good in the bathroom. Tuning set up is intuitive and easy, and all the controls are clearly marked and not at all 'fiddly' - which is what you want if you're trying to alter volume or change channels with soapy hands. Well worth the 5 star rating. Nice one, Sony. Thankyou.