5.0 out of 5 stars an opera of life

Published 15 months ago by B. M. Read-Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars an opera of life, 3 Mar. 2010
Anthony Peter Swallow (Bruxelles, Belgique) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Glass Mountain [1949] [DVD] (DVD)
This is great : if you like good singing, nice music, a rollicking story (which ends the way it "should"), super shots of England, the Alps, Venice.... then this is for you. I love Tito Gobbi's voice and have had the melodies in my head ever since I first saw this film on TV at the tender age of 15 (I'm now 60!) It's in black-and-white, of course, so there's room for you to colour the film in with your own imagination - and you won't forget it. Put it on, sit back and relax to a former time when life was different :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Love Story, 7 Nov. 2008
S. Johnson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Glass Mountain [1949] [DVD] (DVD)
I think this is the first grown up film I ever saw. I thought it was wonderful then, and
I still do. It is the ultimate love story. Lovely locations - a pretty Thames side house, snowy mountains, the canals of Venice and the glittering Opera House. The music is magnificent, and it is a shame it is not of better technical quality. A charming couple played by real life lovers Michael Denison and Dulcie Gray with funny intimate dialogue, the striking 'other woman' who nevertheless has a lover waiting in the wings for her when she is over her infatuation with Michael Denison's character.There have been many love stories on film since this one, but this is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic memories, 22 Oct. 2011
A. PRIOR (Exmouth, Devon, England) - See all my reviews
I was but a stripling when I first saw The Glass Mountain, but the music remains with me still, decades later. Divine music, peerless singing and echoes of a much nicer time. This is a lovely film, losing nothing by being in black and white. We love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Olden Goldies are the best, 17 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Glass Mountain [1949] [DVD] (DVD)
Just wonderful film - beautiful music. Just don't make them like it any more.Atmospheric film of the time. Just fabulous. We were certainly better off before mobiles, texts etc etc were invented.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1940s Gem, 4 Oct. 2012
Nostalgia (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Glass Mountain [1949] [DVD] (DVD)
I vaguely recall seeing this film with my parents at our local picture house as a child - probably around 1950 - my only recollections of it being a "man-made" mountain (with hindsight, the construction on the theatre stage in the premiere performance of the opera towards the end of the film) and a plane crash which had a profound effect on me. Funny the things that stick in your mind, even after 60 years. Obviously, I was too young to appreciate the story but, having watched it again on dvd, I now can and do and thoroughly recommend it.
The story is of a composer who, having joined the RAF in World War II, is shot down over Italy, but is rescued by resistance fighters and is nursed back to health by a beautiful Italian girl, with whom he falls hopelessly in love. When he eventually regains his health and returns to his wife in England, he composes an opera inspired by the Italian girl and his experiences in Italy. However, he cannot forget the girl and determines to find her again but, ultimately, fate takes a hand.
The theme music has (along with that in similar films, such as "The Dream of Olwen") been a favourite of mine for many years and I shall be watching this film again and again. I also hope that many more films of that era can be reproduced on dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glass Mountain DVD, 25 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Glass Mountain [1949] [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this for my 87 yr old mother. She was so thrilled, she didn't realise you could get a copy of this very old film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by the sound, 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Glass Mountain [1949] [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD for my mum; I remembered that she loved the film years ago. We watched it together. Of course it was dated; I expected that, but my mum liked the story and the theme tunes. But the sound quality was appalling. My mum was quite worried that she was losing her hearing, but it wasn't her- I could hardly hear the dialogue either. When we turned the sound right up, it just became fuzzy.
I'm afraid it was a bit of a disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Glass Mountain, 17 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Glass Mountain [1949] [DVD] (DVD)
A lover of golden oldies, this has a good cast and lots of fantastic scenery. One of the better British movies of the era. And of course the dog's great.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Glass Mountain, 22 Mar. 2012
William Hardman "Bill" (Brisbane) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Glass Mountain [1949] [DVD] (DVD)
The Glass Mountain is an old movie but well worth watching and there is some very clever photography for it's age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah, they don't make them like this anymore, 4 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Glass Mountain [1949] [DVD] (DVD)
The beautiful, haunting theme music, the magnificant voice of Tito Gobbi, the age old story of love and loss make this a timeless classic. The central character, Richard Wilder, married to steadfast and loyal Anne, is rescued from a plane crash in the Alps by the beautiful and passionate Italian girl, Alida. As she helps him recover from his injuries they fall hopelessly in love. On his return to England his yearning for her continues to torment him. But there is also his love and loyalty to Anne. Does he follow his passion or his conscience? In the end fate intervenes to influence his choice. It is in a sense a morality tale. What do we do, what choices do we ourselves make when conscience towards another conflicts with our heartstrings?
Good performances from Michael Denison as Richard Wilder and Dulcie Gray as his film (and real life) wife. Valentina Cortese is especially memorable as Alida, investing her role with all the heartfelt passion it calls for.

The Glass Mountain [1949] [DVD]
The Glass Mountain [1949] [DVD] by Henry Cass (DVD - 2008)