Format: DVDChange

on 3 March 2010
This is great : if you like good singing, nice music, a rollicking story (which ends the way it "should"), super shots of England, the Alps, Venice.... then this is for you. I love Tito Gobbi's voice and have had the melodies in my head ever since I first saw this film on TV at the tender age of 15 (I'm now 60!) It's in black-and-white, of course, so there's room for you to colour the film in with your own imagination - and you won't forget it. Put it on, sit back and relax to a former time when life was different :)
0Comment40 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2008
I think this is the first grown up film I ever saw. I thought it was wonderful then, and
I still do. It is the ultimate love story. Lovely locations - a pretty Thames side house, snowy mountains, the canals of Venice and the glittering Opera House. The music is magnificent, and it is a shame it is not of better technical quality. A charming couple played by real life lovers Michael Denison and Dulcie Gray with funny intimate dialogue, the striking 'other woman' who nevertheless has a lover waiting in the wings for her when she is over her infatuation with Michael Denison's character.There have been many love stories on film since this one, but this is the best.
on 4 October 2012
I vaguely recall seeing this film with my parents at our local picture house as a child - probably around 1950 - my only recollections of it being a "man-made" mountain (with hindsight, the construction on the theatre stage in the premiere performance of the opera towards the end of the film) and a plane crash which had a profound effect on me. Funny the things that stick in your mind, even after 60 years. Obviously, I was too young to appreciate the story but, having watched it again on dvd, I now can and do and thoroughly recommend it.
The story is of a composer who, having joined the RAF in World War II, is shot down over Italy, but is rescued by resistance fighters and is nursed back to health by a beautiful Italian girl, with whom he falls hopelessly in love. When he eventually regains his health and returns to his wife in England, he composes an opera inspired by the Italian girl and his experiences in Italy. However, he cannot forget the girl and determines to find her again but, ultimately, fate takes a hand.
The theme music has (along with that in similar films, such as "The Dream of Olwen") been a favourite of mine for many years and I shall be watching this film again and again. I also hope that many more films of that era can be reproduced on dvd.
on 17 August 2010
Just wonderful film - beautiful music. Just don't make them like it any more.Atmospheric film of the time. Just fabulous. We were certainly better off before mobiles, texts etc etc were invented.
on 17 October 2011
A lover of golden oldies, this has a good cast and lots of fantastic scenery. One of the better British movies of the era. And of course the dog's great.
on 25 October 2010
Bought this for my 87 yr old mother. She was so thrilled, she didn't realise you could get a copy of this very old film.
on 22 March 2012
The Glass Mountain is an old movie but well worth watching and there is some very clever photography for it's age.
on 4 September 2013
The beautiful, haunting theme music, the magnificant voice of Tito Gobbi, the age old story of love and loss make this a timeless classic. The central character, Richard Wilder, married to steadfast and loyal Anne, is rescued from a plane crash in the Alps by the beautiful and passionate Italian girl, Alida. As she helps him recover from his injuries they fall hopelessly in love. On his return to England his yearning for her continues to torment him. But there is also his love and loyalty to Anne. Does he follow his passion or his conscience? In the end fate intervenes to influence his choice. It is in a sense a morality tale. What do we do, what choices do we ourselves make when conscience towards another conflicts with our heartstrings?
Good performances from Michael Denison as Richard Wilder and Dulcie Gray as his film (and real life) wife. Valentina Cortese is especially memorable as Alida, investing her role with all the heartfelt passion it calls for.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2011
Absolutely brilliant, I saw this film in 1950 and it was as good now as then, service excellent and considering its not something you can buy in a normal retail outlet the price was more than reasonable. Highly recommended
on 8 September 2015
For purely sentimental reasons I got this DVD to see what it was like - it was the first film I ever saw as a small toddler taken by my mother to our local flea-pit because she wanted to see it. It's very much of its time but has worn well - a good film to share among the family on a Sunday afternoon [or any other time]. Well told, good acting and the great voice of the younger Tito Gobbi as the opera singer who brings the legend to life on the stage. The fact that it's in black and white really doesn't matter.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse