5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC
We saw this film last night and have to say its the funniest film I have seen in a long time. I came out of the cinema feeling emotionally quite drained. I lost someone close to me though lung cancer and so it touched me on a personal level, as I expect it will for a lot of other people.

It has you laughing out loud through most of the film, the beginning is...
Published on 21 Feb 2008 by T. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed lightweight feelgood movie
It's really virtually impossible not to like a movie with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson in it.. they add a sense of gravitas to anything they are in - and there is pleasure to be had in watching their contrasting styles spark off each other.
Published on 14 Aug 2008 by Mr. Stephen Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 21 Feb 2008
T. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bucket List [DVD] [2008] (DVD)

It has you laughing out loud through most of the film, the beginning is a bit depressing mainly cos they are finding out they are going to die but that doesn't stop any of the humour it just leaves you feeling odd because you are laughing out loud at two men dying and it doesn't feel right.
This is one film I will definitely be ordering, Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson were fantastic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed lightweight feelgood movie, 14 Aug 2008
Mr. Stephen Kennedy "skenn1701a" (Doha, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Bucket List [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Here, the play two men, both suffering from cancer, sharing a room at a hospital (in a rather contrived set up). After some preamble to fleetingly show that they are actually not well, they create a bucket list - a list of things they want to do before kicking the bucket, and since one of them is rich, set out to work their way through the items, learning about themselves and each other as they go.
It works because the leads are strong, particularly Freeman. Nicholson overplays, but then the writing does call for it. It does stumble however in the script department from time to time... For example, Freeman talking to Nicholson - "You once said you're not everyone. Well, that's true-you're certainly not everyone, but everyone is everyone." It's not exactly Shakespeare. The concept of terminally ill men skydiving, climbing mountains and traveling the world somewhat while barely catching their breath also stretches credibility. Morgan Freeman does his trademark stately voice over, which only serves to remind you of The Shawshank Redemption, and the comparison is not favourable. And while the male bonding is fun to watch and some of the one-liners funny, the warmth of affection Freeman narrates for the Nicholson character never seems quite justified by anything his character does.
Those quibbles aside, it's fun, warm and fuzzy round the edges, has some decent performances, and is short enough not to outlast its welcome. Not a classic, but thumbs up nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicholson and Freeman - The Dream Team., 17 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Bucket List [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I saw this movie with my wife a short while ago, and we both found it to be a very amusing and thought provoking story. Other reviewers have given a precis of the story, but would just like to add what joy to see two of the finest screen actors at the top of their game - a masterclass on how to deliver the goods. Hard to believe that both will soon be 71 years old. Go see.
(PS. I'm off the make my own bucket list.)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bucket List, 24 Dec 2008
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Bucket List [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
'The Bucket List' is a film showing two masters of their art in fine form. Both Nicholson and Freeman manage to pull off the perfect mix of comedy and poignancy in this film without becoming too cheesy or schmaltzy. The premise is actually very simply (2 terminally ill patients working their way through their own Bucket list) but manages to capture their relationships, fears about dying, philosophy about life and more besides in it's short but very sweet 90 minutes. I was kept thoroughly engaged the whole time and enjoyed every minute as they worked their way through a variety of experiences, from sky diving, getting a tattoo, to kissing the most beautiful girl in the world and a whole host of other things. This made for a fun film, with the right elements of humour and sadness and made a serious point about relishing your life without hammering the point home. It left me wondering about what experiences I've yet to try and with an all round good feeling. You can't ask much more from a film really. Great story, great acting and well worth a try.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 11 July 2008
This review is from: The Bucket List [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I settled down to watch this expecting slap stick fun with a thrown together script and production. What I actually got was a thought provoking piece with some outstanding performances and a slick professional feel. The writing is superior and you'll come away having been taken on an emotional rollercoaster you wont soon forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring some joy into your life, 27 Jun 2009
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Bucket List [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Two men in their seventies from utterly different backgrounds share the same hospital room in LA - and they both have forms of cancer that give them less than a year to live. When both go into remission they set off on an odyssey of indulgence doing things that they had always wanted to do, but had until now neither the time or opportunity to realise such dreams.

When you have two of Hollywood's most talented senior statesmen working around a story as touching as this combined with such expert direction and production design, it's almost inevitable that the result is a treat, for that is what it turned out to be. Nicholson plays an atheistic billionaire businessman, often married but with little to smile about even before his medical diagnosis. Freeman plays a God-fearing car-mechanic with a close and loving family whose only regret is a life-long frustration at not achieving the heights he once aspired to as a young man, having unselfishly put his family's security before his own desires. Nicholson provides most of the cynical black humour, Freeman the loyalty to his wife, religious faith and righteous philosophies. It's billed as a comedy drama but it's more than that; in fact it can be almost anything the viewer wants it to be, because I would suggest that different people seeing this film will take different meanings and memories away with them, depending on their point of view. The title of the film is not attractive but it is to the point: these two men draw up a list of wild or wonderful things to do before they kick the bucket. In some way it's a mini epic inasfar as the geographic span the film covers, because although the first half-hour or so is spent in a small hospital room, much of the rest is spent skydiving, racing cars and travelling to the south of France, the Pyramids of Egypt, on safari in Tanzania, at the Taj Mahal in India, up Mount Everest in Nepal, along the Great Wall of China and eventually in Hong Kong. Each location was chosen so that one or other of the two men could face up to a specific facet of life, and as one of them comments at the beginning and again at the end, the short time they spent together was a greater adventure than most experience in a whole lifetime.

It is, of course, just a story for the purpose of entertainment but I thought there were plenty of issues to make us all ponder about our own mortality, and perhaps in particular the two things we should aim for while we are here: to have joy in our lives, and to bring joy into the lives of those around us. It's easy to be as cynical about such ideals as Nicholson's character is about love, money and religion but if you accept it, keep an open mind, then there is plenty of joy to be taken out of this film. Despite the ostensibly sad subject - terminal cancer - there is actually very little sadness itself here, instead it is mainly thought-provoking, amusing and in many ways uplifting.

The extras on the DVD include something I personally have never seen before - a full-length re-run of the whole film with regular 'post-it' style notes on screen providing snippets of information about the actors' real lives, the locations, the special effects and much more. It was so interesting I just had to watch this film again immediately after the first run, and I can't remember the last time I had a DVD and felt willing and able to do that! Indeed I don't often give out the full 5 stars for DVDs but in this instance I have no hesitation. It's a gem and will live long in the memory.

Benefits of the high-definition Blu-Ray screening were at their most enjoyable for the magnificent scenes shot in the Himalayas and Egypt.

In summary: a funny, moving and intelligently written film that entertains in many different ways. Worth buying, not just renting, as you might want to see it several times.

--------------------------------

*Comments from a deleted review of same Blu-ray*

On 27 Jun 2009 Spider Monkey said:
A very comprehensive review OEJ, which I whole heartedly agree with. In fact I was just buying this as a gift for someone! I enjoyed this film immensely and also heartily recommend it. Thanks for taking the time to write a good review.

On 26 Oct 2009 Lark said:
Great review man, probably one of the best DVD reviews I've seen to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars the bucket list, 16 July 2012
This review is from: The Bucket List [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Having recently been diagnosed with advanced, incurable cancer, I found that I could identify with the characters in the film, as it was very true to life, except that I am a lot younger than they are. I found the film highly amusing, and well acted. Anyone who has had chemotherapy can see the funny side of the side effects, and of course anyone who is "terminal" is advised that if they want to do anything then do it "now". I have my own Bucket List and I hope that I get to visit the pyramids, plus one or two other personal things, before my time is up. Healthy or not, one never knows when one's time will be up, so I advise that everyone write their own "Bucket List" and act apon it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hilarious, bittersweet and enlightening experience., 23 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Bucket List [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Towards the end of this film I was literally in tears. Few films can truly grab you by the heels and drag you into experiencing and living, crying, laughing, alongside the characters. This film can. It has the potential to change and affect lives. Everyone should see this film before they die. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Ultimately and in essnece, on the most basic level it is saying that disregarding our differences, we are all human, and face mortality and death in very much the same ways; even though people may have lived radically different lives.
A million stars...

5.0 out of 5 stars an emotional rollercoaster!, 18 Mar 2008
Jasmine Grant (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bucket List [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Just seen this film! absolutely fantastic! the characters (Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson) are both complete opposites but both in the same boat. i.e: dying. it really hits home how ultimately and at a real basic level we're all the same and want the same things. Jack Nicholson is the real cynical, tough talking single guy and Morgan freeman the thoughtful family man, but at the end of it you love them both because they're human and they touch your heart. For any guys out there who think this is just some sentimental slush fit for only girly girls then ill say give it a go, it was a guy who actually lent me the movie. you wont be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the most moving film I have ever seen., 3 July 2008
Mr. TC Kong (Peterborough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bucket List [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
If you've read this far, then you'll have already seen the other reviews of "The Bucket List". So I won't bore you with another synopsis. However, this is the most moving film I have ever seen - and over the years, I have seen quite a few!

When this film first came out at my local cinema, I had intended to go and see it then, but didn't quite get round to it. So I was pleased to note that it was one of the films on offer on the plane at the start of my recent holiday to New York.

Although billed as a comedy, I found that The Bucket List [DVD] [2008] was more entertaining than hilarious. That may be, in part, because the underlying premise of the story (two ageing men being told that they have terminal cancer and only a matter of months to live) is in itself intrinsically sad. Nevertheless, it is heart warming to watch the relationship between the two main characters, Carter Chambers (Morgan Freeman) and Edward Cole (Jack Nicholson), develop from being complete strangers to being the very best of friends. And the obvious loyalty and devotion of Cole's PA, Tommy/Thomas - "Actually it's Matthew, but he finds it too biblical" (Sean Hayes) is also very touching. Especially when you realise at the very end of the film that it's him climbing the mountain at the very start of the film.

Now, in this respect, I'm a typical bloke. I don't cry during a film. Ever. OK, I can appreciate the sensitivity of some moving scenes, and my eyes may have started to well up at a poignant ending to others. But when Edward Cole presented his eulogy at Carter Chambers' funeral, my eyes didn't just well up. I didn't just shed a tear. I sobbed! I found the whole ending (from the reading of Carter's letter to Edward, through Edward's eulogy, to the realisation that Tommy was the one climbing the mountain at the start of the film, carrying Edward's ashes to be buried next to Carter's) so beautifully moving, that I could not help myself.

If you are not moved by this film yourself, then you have no feelings at all, and I pity you!

The Bucket List [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
The Bucket List [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free] by Brian Copeland (Blu-ray - 2008)
9.66