5.0 out of 5 stars SO FAR SO GOOD
I've had it for about a month and so far very pleased with it.

Lots of functionality for such a small item. Very easy to use. As well as the play/menu/volume buttons on the side the whole front panel forms a forward back up down control for menu and track navigation.

Published on 2 July 2008 by S. J. Chapman

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaudible - avoid!
I bought this because £30 for 4gb seemed like a good deal. I wanted a basic, temporary mp3 player to keep me going till I've got the cash for a better one.

The player is as described by others: quite attractive, small and light, and easy to use. It does NOT have a radio, even if the description above mentions one.

But I am tremendously disappointed...
Published on 6 Nov. 2008 by S. Smithwhite

5.0 out of 5 stars SO FAR SO GOOD, 2 July 2008
S. J. Chapman (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player (Electronics)
I've had it for about a month and so far very pleased with it.

Its really easy to drag and drop files on to it, just plug into any PC (I have used it with xp and vista) and its recognised as a storage device, no need to load the software that comes with it. The player recognises the mp3s artist/title info but you can also set up a directory structure if you want. You can then navigate tracks using either their Artist/Title tags or using your directory structure, very useful if you have files without tags.

Build quality seems pretty good for a small plastic unit, so hopefully controls will stand up to repeated use.It looks good, nice mirrored effect on the front. (though this will scratch if I keep putting it in my pocket with keys and change!).

Battery life is very long, I haven't kept proper track of it so I don't know if it is as high as the claimed 20 hrs but it certainly lasts a few days at an hour or two a day, and charges quickly through the usb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking, small, reasonable sound, average features, 18 July 2008
S. J. Manser (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player (Electronics)
- Obviously the supplied headphones are low quality, so using this with my £50 Shure ones instead
- Sound quality better than average
- The unit is smaller than a custard-cream, I like that
- Expertly made, shiny front
- No radio, although mentioned in book
- Fast forward very good compared to others
- Rechargeable through USB
- Drag and drop your music via USB, no need for iLunacy or SonicStank :)

BEFORE FIRMWARE UPDATE (v2.04):
- Annoyingly does not resume playing at exactly the same point after pausing for a couple of minutes, like my old Sony Bean did
- Takes a minute to turn on

AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE (v3.00):
- If re-used within a few minutes it resumes at correct point
- and takes only 11 seconds to start playing
- If left for longer it doesn't resume and you have to go through the menu and choose Resume Last, which starts at the *beginning* of the track you were on, not at the point where you paused it. Weird and annoying, especially if you are playing a long track, like a mix.

Overall I like it but just a bit annoyed about the resume. The update utility and firmware can be downloaded from [...] and its very easy to do. Don't dip it in your tea!

4.0 out of 5 stars What you need to know..., 15 Aug. 2008
P. Teeling "Bones" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player (Electronics)
I bought this a little over a month ago and i feel that there's some things that you should know if you're looking to buy this. I have never written a review before but feel that people should know in detail what they are getting.

I purchased this because I simply wanted a cheap MP3 player, and specifically not an iPod (expensive and my one i bought a few years back has just stopped working over time!) If like me, you have all your music in itunes then this becomes a very big problem. On itunes the songs are all stored as m4a files and when you download them to this player they are not recognised and you cannot play them. This player only recognises MP3 Files which meant I had to go through my entire library and convert them before they would play here. It was very very time consuming and very very frustrating, most probably because this is not explained anywhere and i had to figure it all out for myself!!!

However, once I'd done this, the player works very well. The drag and drop system is very efficient. It can take quite a while to go through all of the artists if, like me, you have a fair amount but the music quality is very good, probably better than my old iPod.

Unfortunately, there is no radio attached, which is a bit rubbish because it tells you that there is

Overall, it gets 4 stars because of the quality of the sound and the fact that it looks fantastic. It could of been higher (in fact it is probably closer to 3.5/5) but the sheer frustration of that earlier problem annoyed me greatly. Decent purchase though

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 8 Oct. 2008
Ashley Robinson "Chortle" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player (Electronics)
Firstly, i will say that i updated the firmware to 4.something as soon as i got it (anyone can do it, google is your best friend), and so i know nothing of the pre installed firmware.

I have had this player for ~2 weeks now (bought it on offer for £30), and i can truly say it is a brilliant mp3 player.

Drag and drop - No software needed, so much better than Sonicstage, iTunes, etc. Can sync it with WMP11. Also quick transfer rates compared to other supposedly USB 2.0 players.

Size - When i received the package, i thought it was a dvd...the player is 2/3cm squared, ridiculously small. May not be ideal for those who like chunky/weighty mp3 players.

Buttons/Menu - I like the placement of the buttons around the side, and the inclusion of the screen as the main navigator (ie, up, down, left, right) is ingenious. Intuitive and easy, and all solidly built. The menu is uncluttered, clear, concise and responsive, all of which i feel are essential.

Battery life - I charged it when i received it, and i haven't charged it since! Been used for an hour or two every few days over 2 weeks...very happy. Charges through USB, which again is perfect for me.

On the whole, i really like this mp3 player, i did everything i could to avoid ipods (not a fan of having to use proprietary software) and this is ideal. I have had a few mp3 players before (cheap usb stick things, and a creative zen micro) and this out does them all. Highly recommended (if you update the firmware, that is).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, 10 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player (Electronics)
Great product, ideal size, easy to use and good battery life. Sound quality is good and for the price it's got a lot of memory. It pays to shop around as I managed to pick up one for £35 (only a fiver more than Amazon are asking for the 2GB version) I won't say where I got it as they will delete this review but to give you a clue it was from a high street chain named after a large rock flying through space. No real problems with use, can take a few seconds to load up the first time you turn it on after putting new files on it. As for the malfunctions others have mentioned (deleting files when down button is held down) this is simply the way you delete files. Avoid holding down the down button or put the key lock on and this problem is avoided. All in all a great little product for the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaudible - avoid!, 6 Nov. 2008
S. Smithwhite (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player (Electronics)

But I am tremendously disappointed. The output volume of this player is ridiculously low, at 3mw per channel (compare that to the iPod's 30mw!). It is impossible to hear music anywhere near traffic, on the train etc, and even on a quiet street it's quite irritating to constantly want the music just a bit louder. (Note that I don't have the volume limiter setting turned on - I am listening at absolutely the maximum volume this thing can produce.)

If you want to listen to music in a library, then this may be the cheap player for you. Otherwise avoid!

2.0 out of 5 stars gremlins, 18 July 2008
This review is from: Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player (Electronics)
If you press the play/pause to pause a track and accidently press the down click at the same time there is a software malfunction and it deletes the track? then there is a loading track problem and things just get worse. Tried reset key but problems continued. Could be that one faulty machine as everything else is worthy of praise.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage from Start to Finish, 19 April 2009
This review is from: Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player (Electronics)
This product is complete junk.
The control button layout is difficult for 'man sized fingers' to use, plus having different buttons on different dimensional plains on such a small box is a surprising uncomfortable and counter inuitive way to lay out controls.

The construction is not sturdy, robust or durable, the screen scratches on contact with anything metalic ( the screen is both navigating tool and a 4-way control button...looks cute, and is a really dumb idea since you are continually using it - trying to get the blessed thing to work - and thus doomed to scratch and wear it heavily, thus rendering the screen unreadable in a short time.

The software doesn't work, the online updates dont work, the software version control doesn't work, the drivers dont work...it doesn't work!

The manual warns you that the internal rechargeable battery has a limited life, but there are no instructions on how to replace the battery....

The thing locks up (currently attached by USB to my computer which can see it, can download files to it, can play those files on my PC, can erase those files from the PC....but can I get it to play the things itself independently from the PC? can I...add your own expletive!
Does the reset button work? does it... add yur own expletive again!

Buy something else, anything else, I have had very good experience with Samsung MP3 players in general in the same price range
Philips GoGear SA2820 2Gb MP3 Player
Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent player, no question., 19 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player (Electronics)
I recently bought this little player and was extremely impressed almost straight away. After using dynamite to extract the player and other equipment from the extremely well made packaging i was surprised by how light it was. I previously used the zen stone and it was very similar.
Installation and quick use was done in seconds and i was loading albums onto as soon as the charge complete.

The sound quality was good but i adjusted the presets (i found the hip hop setting to be the best non-custom balance) and there was way more bass than i expected. Ditch the headphones and buy another set, the difference is immense if you even spend £20 on another set (i have yet to find an mp3 player with good standard headphones).

The neckstrap is okay but i use this for work so it gets in the way if you aren't sitting down all day. The extra long USB cable is also handy but best of all is the battery life. So far i have played it constantly at work with pretty heavy music for nine solid hours and it barely goes down to half bars.

A couple of very minor niggles get in the way but nothing to put you off buying this player. I highly reccomend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why can't engineering firms write software?, 1 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player (Electronics)
I bought this item early November.

It's got great volume and sound (at least when used with Sennheiser CX 400 - High Quality Noise Isolating Ear-Canal-Headphones - Silver).

You can synchronise it with WMP or drag and drop with Explorer (no need to use the likes of Sony's appallingly bad software).

I would have given this item 5 stars if it weren't for one bad point: whichever version of the Philips Device Manager I use, I cannot get it to update the player's firmware. I emailed Philips, from their support site, on 8 Nov and they promised a reply 'within 4 working days'. I'm still waiting.

Having said that, the player works fine and I'd still recommend it if you want a small, light, no-frills shuffle-like device.

Philips GoGear SA2840 4Gb MP3 Player