5.0 out of 5 stars delicious!
Im not a huge fan of foreign films, i prefer to watch whats happening on screen rather than reading subtitles below it, but i borrowed this newly released film from a friend who persuaded me i would enjoy it.
Set in Lebanon the film is not what i expected. It was the perfect blend of comedy and sweetness and sad and heartwarming. The story follows a group of women...
Published on 13 Sep 2008 by K. S. Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Caramel
Sadly this movie turned out to be a bit of a let down and certainly not worth the £10 I spent on it. I didn't find the story particularly engaging as there are so many characters that it doesn't allow for any of them to be explored fully. As a result I wasn't attached to any of them and couldnt bring myself to care deeply about what happened to each of them. The...
Published on 10 Nov 2008 by RD

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, funny and sweet, 2 Dec 2009
Purple fox (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
Beautifully shot and subtly acted, this wonderful film gives a funny and moving insight into the lives of its modern Lebanese characters. The story revolves around five women working in a beauty salon, but even the peripheral characters, men and women alike, are subtly described personalities that seem to feel real feelings.

I have not been to Lebanon, so I cannot comment on the film's accuracy, but the picture it painted was of a country torn between modern liberalism and enforced conservatism; of characters torn between love and honour, happiness and dignity.

The characters are lovable and very human. Each is battling with their own sorrows and challenges that unfold, but the film is buoyant with their friendships, their dignity, and their senses of humour. The cinematography is absolutely beautiful too, with sensual colours, attention to tiny details, and some hilarious cuts between analogous scenes.

Many moments made the cinema audience laugh out loud; one that sticks in my mind is the inaugural event of a man entering the salon for treatment, when the ladies stand around him, arms crossed and frowning with heads on one side, as they silently consider what procedures to deploy on their unusual client... Remembering his expression as he awaits his fate, and as their eyes alight on his facial hair, makes me giggle even now! Especially since I now know what the caramel is for...!

5.0 out of 5 stars Caramel, 19 Feb 2010
A. Al-aali - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caramel [DVD] (2007) (DVD)
although Caramel is in spoken Lebanese language, the DVD has many options for subtitles. Watch the film first and then and only then listen to the director speak of the making of this film. The director speaks in English.

The film is not simplistic because it implies how different Leabanese sects are coexisting despite all the wars, politics and corruptions.

extremely interisting and highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!, 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Caramel [DVD] (2007) (DVD)
A beautiful film that shows much promise from its director Nadine Labaki. The film shows us the life of 4 women working in a salon in Beirut and there individual problems and aspirations. The plot is wonderfully done and soundtrack is beautiful, I very much recommend this film!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bitter sweet caramel, 5 July 2011
A. B. Radford (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caramel [DVD] (2007) (DVD)
I enjoyed watching this film particularly the colour ... it's really strong. However the sub-plots within the film are all quite sad except possibly for that of the lesbian character - but we're not even quite sure about that. In fact at the end of the film I wasn't quite sure of how any of the stories would resolve, but just a feeling that their lives were quite sad.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem!, 18 Feb 2011
This review is from: Caramel [DVD] (2007) (DVD)
Whilst housesitting at my daughters, I discovered this film amongst her very eclectic collection. Having never seen or heard of the director I was in no hurry to watch it and left it until the last week of my 5 week stay. I was absolutely delighted! It was funny, poignant and so, so true of woman all over the world.The characters were believable, very likeable and, coming from a country where women have such freedom, I emphasized with their predicaments. If your looking for a pleasant way to spend an evening, even if your not a fan a foreign films, I would heartily reccomend you watch 'Caramel'. It will definatly be joining my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Aug 2014
Gr8 price product communication and swift delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, genuine and touching, 29 Jan 2009
This review is from: Caramel [DVD] (2007) (DVD)
Having read a glowing review of Caramel, in which the reviewer urged men, as well as women, to see it, I ventured to the cinema with my husband. Although slightly nervous, I needn't have worried - the only complaint he made was that I hadn't arranged a full meze afterwards. Although it ticks many of the 'chick flick' boxes, there is so much more to this film than just a lightweight feel-good movie. It's very atmospheric and Beirut seems hot, intruiging and exotic. The relationships are beautifully written, and genuinely touching. The messages of friendship and support run through the film as does a strong moral code. At no stage does this seem heavy-handed. There are sad moments, but many joyous ones too. I recommend Caramel for many reasons, not least as a view of Middle Eastern life far removed from the strife and sadness we witness in news bulletins on a daily basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Female Kinship, 4 May 2009
This review is from: Caramel [DVD] (2007) (DVD)
At first glance, one might think this is yet another chick flick. However, there's more to it than your average chick flick. Simple story line - relationship of 4 close women and also the addition of two sisters who live down the road. All 4 women have their own issues and problems and dilemma they face day to day.

There's nothing spectacular with regards to the storyline but certainly I got myself really engaged with each of the character and the spirit of female kinhood (if you believe in that sort of thing) and friendship. I like the fact that even within different culture, place and generations, the humanity spirit are essentially similar.

May not be everyone's cup of tea. It certainly not about Beirut and life there. It's more about social reflection and female relationship between generations. It's not meant to have a start and certainly not an ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a wonderful film about women and there lives, 5 Sep 2008
R. DONLAN (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caramel [DVD] (2007) (DVD)
I am really looking forward to this film coming out on DVD, as when I saw it at the cinema I thought it was wonderful. It was so refreshing to see a film about women not all young and glamorous but normal women getting on with there lives & loves.

This film centred around a salon in Lebanon is very well balanced it just seems to have the right number of characters. Along the way we get to know and care about them all as we follow there situations and hope that all of them will get what they need from there lives and not neccesarily what they desire when we first meet them. But i won't spoil any of the film by giving details, just watch and enjoy.

It is also refreshing to see a film set in Lebanon which shows it in a positive light and shows what I truly believe that people are alike all over the world, with all the same feeling, problems and desires.

If you like me you enjoy films where you get to know the characters pull for them and care what happens to them this is a film for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Caramel, 24 May 2009
This review is from: Caramel [DVD] (2007) (DVD)
A Lebanese film about Lebanon today- a generous and warmhearted slice of life centering on women, friendship and love at a hair salon. I found it's gentle self deprecating humour very refreshing, and thought the acting superb. It has something of a Middle Eastern tinge of a 'sex and the city' and will delight a wide audience.

Caramel [DVD] (2007)
Caramel [DVD] (2007) by Nadine Labaki (DVD - 2008)