5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing bit of kit
I bought one of these in 2003 and used it right up until september 2010 when i lost it, there was no damage, it never once blew inside out (and it took a massive hammering in all sorts of weather), the automatic mechanism didn't break and all in all I thought it was great.

Published on 20 Sep 2010 by Krystan Honour

3.0 out of 5 stars Compact Commuting Brolly
I walk between 5-10 miles per day and have used this umbrella a lot - hope this helps.

Published on 11 Jun 2012 by A.McGrath

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing bit of kit, 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: Fulton Mens "Open & Close 11" Deluxe Folding Umbrella (Luggage)

It performed its primary function and kept me very dry and easily fitted into my man bag (a normal sized messenger bag). I liked it so much I brought a direct replacement which as time went on is now cheaper. I would reccommend this to anyone needing a compact umbrella who is out in very wet conditions. I does feel light but as I said before the only reason for replacing it was I lost it :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Compact Commuting Brolly, 11 Jun 2012
A.McGrath - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Pros: Strong, reasonably well made, (the umbrella has blown inside out at least 4 times (an occupational hazard) and several of the frame links have been bent when this happens. However having bent them back into place (requires a pair of pliers or strong fingers!) it continues to function as normal). Nice button on the handle to open and semi-close the umbrella. Compact, easy to carry.

Cons: I think its basic shape (lower profile) and size (98cm/38.5 inches extended) cause it to 'catch the wind', probably more than other umbrellas I've had. These factors, I believe, cause the INCREASED TENDENCY to blow inside out. I've found I tend to have to fight with it, when other people look quite comfortable with theirs in the same conditions.

The handle: The palm of my hand measures approximately 4 inch/10cm, the handle length to the crook is 3 inch/8cm (approx). This means my index finger is naturally above the handle. As you can see from the picture the crook is also 'flattened out' and not circular, as in most other brollies. After about 20 mins it becomes uncomfortable, but not painful to hold.

I would certainly buy another Fulton umbrella, but would probably select another model.

UPDATE: 14/05/13 After using this umbrella for approx 19 months, with many hours use, today it terminally broke - R.I.P. I now have to buy a replacement and I've decided upon this one: Fulton Magnum Auto Men's Umbrella. I will review it after sufficient use to form an opinion. To sum up then, the 11" Deluxe is really a commuting brolly, short distances, heavy rain but LIGHT winds etc. I really liked and will miss, the semi-close feature and its compactness. It has withstood some 'relatively' heavy conditions and has been battered and bruised in the process. Overall, (taking into account the inversion issue) it's coped well. Because I need both a compact brolly and walk a lot, I probably require more than its design criteria accommodates.

UPDATE 2: 5/11/13 The saga continues... Having replaced the 11" with the Magnum, which broke almost immediately. (A big disappointment - although it's better balanced than the 11", it's not as strong and is certainly less practical - I obtained a refund). I've now opted for this Fulton Jumbo Open & Close Umbrella. Although I've only had it for just over two months and have used it about 10 times, already it has proved better, hands down, than either the 11" or the Magnum. It's more stable, enormous by comparison and is the only brolly out of the three to keep me totally dry (no wet arm syndrome) It has the open/close button (really like), and although longer than the 11" at 37cm/14", (Magnum 48cm/18"), it is probably more compact due to the straight handle, and still easily fits into my bag, not so the Magnum.

Any negs? Although the handle has a nice foam padded covering and is about 4" long, (which arguably may have been better with a crook), some may find it a bit awkward to hold in the wind and a bit cumbersome in crowds. However, I'm really pleased with it and would certainly choose the Jumbo as top out of the three.

UPDATE 3: 4/09/14. Final one, honest! Having had the Jumbo for almost a year, the open/close button failed whilst out walking. This meant that I could no longer close it. As I couldn't fix it I contacted Fulton. Having spoke to a helpful member of the customer service team, they agreed (in this case) to provide me with a replacement which arrived within two days. The quality of any company, for me, is its 'after-sales service' and I have been impressed by theirs. Also it's still the best out of the three and although coming close, it has never inverted or has been wind damaged in the weather conditions I've been in.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice umbrella, 1 July 2010
Very good quality umbrella, which is small enough to pop in my work bag. Quite hefty & chunky, which belies its quality. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, 10 Feb 2011
Al. (England.) - See all my reviews
Has a nice quality look and feel.

Comfortable handle that is easy to grip.

Auto system works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing., 14 Aug 2014
Since purchasing this umbrella a few weeks ago, I have been quite literally unable to be rained upon.

It's been a rainy few weeks, as is often, unfortunately, the case during a British summer. Despite this, every single time I have stepped outside with my new Fulton umbrella at the ready, the rain has ceased. Immediately. This has happened so many times now that I have no recourse but to conclude that the umbrella itself is responsible.

Pros:
- Seems sturdily built
- Power to alter the weather within a several-mile radius

Cons:
- So called "auto-close" only actually closes the device halfway
- A little on the heavy side

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 7 Feb 2014
I have only used it in light rain so far and I hope that it stays strong in winds for which I bought this expensive one. It is much heavier than I expected and carrying it is not so easy. I love the way it opens up so quickly on the push of the button. I may review my review after using it through adverse weather.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't take long to stop working!, 20 Nov 2013
Having read the positive reviews, I went ahead and ordered this item. It was great for about a month, until the mechanism broke and now it will not open fully.

3.0 out of 5 stars It keeps me dry, 9 April 2013
Well I was a little disappointed first time out in the rain and wind, it blew inside out, but recovered, after a bit of a fiddle, it might state deluxe, but the build is anything but!!!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong (and therefore heavyier than others), 9 Mar 2014
This umbrella is for grown-ups. Its mechanisms are powerful and it feels v sturdy. But that makes it a step heavier than other less robust products. Life is all about trade-offs

3.0 out of 5 stars It's as good as any other umbrella of this type (and more ..., 18 Aug 2014
P. MCKERRACHER (Carshalton, UK) - See all my reviews
It's as good as any other umbrella of this type (and more sturdy than some) but it still blew inside out and bent one of the spokes the second time I used it. I managed to bend the spoke back without breaking it so it still works.

The most annoying thing is the velcro tie that holds it closed. It's too loose, so it keeps slipping and letting the umbrella partially unfurl. The velcro part doesn't extend far enough to hold it tighter.

Overall it's no better than the competition and not worth the extra money in my opinion.