5.0 out of 5 stars Movie magician, 16 Oct 2010
This review is from: Syndromes and a Century [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
It's always a cause for celebration when- 1) a moviemaker comes along with a entirely new way of story telling through the medium of film (a medium so mired in cliches we're almost primed to expect certain conventions) and 2) finds a way to get on film aspects of our existence that we never imagined could ever be articulated. (Well OK, they could be articulated, but are never thought important enough to most directors). Even the non religious among us, must at some time reflect on what we call 'spirit' and the 'mystery' of our existence, and have thoughts on the past and the future... and yet without being overtly religious, how many filmmakers have made that the centre of vision? It helps in that sense that Weerasethakul is Buddhist... and this film is again, like Tropical Malady, a film of two halves. You see the same young man interviewed again, but in a different setting. Things repeat but you see them from odd angles. Nothing is ever spelt out. But what is mysterious is never mysterious in the David Lynch sense. There is nothing to puzzle out. Things exist, but thinking logically about them only gets you so far. Watching a Weerasethakul film, makes you always think, that perhaps there is another one of you, living your exact same life, somewhere else in the world, who is you and yet is not you. I somehow come out of his films thinking that my potential for living has somehow doubled!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious and beautiful, 27 May 2012
This review is from: Syndromes and a Century [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
Apichatpong Weerasethakul (yes, I copied and pasted the name) is one of my favourite directors, though this is not my fav film of his, I think it's an excellent film nonetheless. Maybe a good film to start with when coming to this thai director.

Syndromes and a Century [2006] [DVD]
Syndromes and a Century [2006] [DVD] by Apichatpong Weerasethakul (DVD - 2008)