5.0 out of 5 stars Watertight & comfortable - can't be true, can it ?
Published on 22 Jan. 2010 by Small Scale

1.0 out of 5 stars These don't work for me
Published on 14 Dec. 2010 by Ignatius

5.0 out of 5 stars Watertight & comfortable - can't be true, can it ?, 22 Jan. 2010
Small Scale "small_scale" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Aqua Sphere Seal Mask (Sports Apparel)
Conventional swimming goggles just don't do it for me, given the way they seem to suck your very eyeballs out of their sockets. When I saw these Aqua Sphere Seals I was a little sceptical on how much bigger they would be. Well I can tell you it's a bit like wearing a very lightweight skiing goggle rather than a swimming google. As a result, peripheral vision is excellent, and the softly contoured mask seals very well around the upper cheeks, temples, nose, and forehead. A slight press onto the face is all you need to effect the seal, and thereafter they stay watertight and very comfortable. No more bulging eyes ... bliss.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best goggles I have ever used, 15 Aug. 2012
Dazllyou (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aqua Sphere Seal Mask (Sports Apparel)
I have tried plenty of goggles in my time and whilst I had always been a fan of Speedos I moved on to Zoggs for a bit but I gradually became less and less keen on the 'latest and greatest' styles and technology for goggles that seemed to be coming out.

Speedos tended to be good for a bit but they never seem to fit my face liked they used to when I were a lad (maybe I have a fat head now I'm older?) and inevitably I would find that Speedos leaked gradually and the anti fog coating became less and less effective by the day - I would also say that the straps on Speedos are not as good as other brands. Zoggs were a similar story (although a noticeable improvement on the head fit and straps) they would be good for a while but like the Speedos would eventually start leaking around the lenses themselves.

I felt lumbered with Zoggs as no other brand I had come across had a decent fit to my eyes and head, but by accident I came across Aqua Sphere (on Amazon I think) and I read some glowing reviews for these goggles. I decided to give them a try. First off let me clear up some things for you

1. These are more like a hybrid of goggles and a diving mask, covering a significantly larger amount of your face and eyes than normal goggles do.

2. Because of the above your face forms an air tight seal around your eyes and it really is the best vision with the lowest amount of leakage I have EVER had underwater... better than some professional diving masks I have used actually!

3. These goggles do look a bit 'special'. My mate refers to them as 'Kanye's' because they look like the sort of crazy shades that Kanye West might wear. If you are a bit self conscious and it would bother you to have a big pair of face huggers on when you go for a swim in your local public pool then dont go for a pair of these, get the Aqua Sphere Kayenne goggles instead (note thats Kayenne not Kanye!).

4. I have seen many reviews saying that the Aqua Sphere Kayennes are much better than these but having owned both I would say for visability and reliability these win on both counts as the pair of Kayennes that I bought (when I managed to break my Seal goggles (see 5 below) like so many goggle brands were good for quite a while (longer than Speedos or Zoggs) but then the inside of the lenses started to mist up very quickly and it was downhill from there.

5. I did actually manage to break a pair of these Aqua Sphere Seal goggles but dont go thinking that they arent durable - when I broke them I was attempting to do a somersault into a deep swimming pool after drinking loads of booze in Egypt and taking into account the force I hit the water with, they probably saved my face some pain! After that incident the lenses fell out of the silicone casing and despite putting it all back together they never were the same again :(

OK I think I have suitably waffled on for long enough for you to make an informed decision on these goggles. In short - buy them they're really good and you can look a bit like Kanye West's aquatic twin!

4.0 out of 5 stars Goggle eyed no more, 1 Jun. 2009
Slightly larger than I had expected, but good strong seal and a joy not to have suction on the eyes from normal goggles.

1.0 out of 5 stars These don't work for me, 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Aqua Sphere Seal Mask (Sports Apparel)
I bought these on the basis of the positive reviews so I thought I'd better offer an alternative experience. For me there are two main criteria to consider when buying a pair of goggles. First that they don't allow ANY water in. Second, that they're reasonably comfortable. Unfortunately these goggles, when worn by me (I wouldn't say I have an usually shaped head or face though I am slightly slim) allow water in - not huge amounts but enough to be an irritant - even after just one pool length of ordinary front crawl. I have tried tightening the wear as far possible but they still don't work. For this reason I have resorted to my old goggles which although leaving an imprint on my face they serve their primary purpose. All in all, quite disappointed as this mask wasn't cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can see clearly now...., 22 May 2012
This review is from: Aqua Sphere Seal Mask (Sports Apparel)
I wanted to replace my old goggles because I found the pressure around my eye socket was sore, they left marks that took quite a while to disappear and to get a good seal it felt like my eyeballs were being sucked out of their sockets! When I replaced my old goggles with this pair, I realised that another issue had been that I could not see clearly with them. These on the other hand are great! The water now appears to be crystal clear and bright! There is no leak in the 30 or so minutes that I wear them and whilst they leave a bit of a mark on my forehead and cheeks, it seems to disappear more quickly. I certainly don't experience any of the discomfort I had with my old pair. I can highly recommend these goggles and will be buying additional pairs for my children to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more comfortable than traditional swimming goggles, 6 Nov. 2012
J. S. Hardman "Consultant software developer ... (Near London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Aqua Sphere Seal Mask (Sports Apparel)
This Aqua Sphere Seal Mask was recommended to me by a top swimming organisation. Having used traditional swimming goggles previously, and scuba masks when diving/snorkelling, I knew which I preferred. So when I saw the Aqua Sphere Seal Mask, which is like a really sleek diving mask (but without the nose being inside the mask), I had to give it a try. I'm very glad that I did.

I chose the Transparent/Crystal Clear Lens version. When it arrived, I went to do the usual seal test that divers do with masks, but this mask sealed even better. I didn't need to breathe in to hold it in place (which wouldn't have worked anyway, as the nose is outside the mask) - I just pressed it to my face and it stayed there, without using the strap or any pressure to hold it. Incredible.

When I first used it - a quick rub of spit inside and a quick rinse to prevent it steaming up, pulled the strap over my head, and off I went. Incredibly comfortable, and with the transparent/crystal clear lens, I soon forgot that I was wearing it. It is so much more comfortable that traditional goggles, that it is hard to describe the comparison. And there is no pressure on the eye socket, which is great.

Whilst swimming breaststroke, butterfly or crawl, I swim in a head-down position, so my face is in the water unless I am breathing in (so much better for the neck and back than the heads up "keeping hair dry" position that many people adopt). During breaststroke I tend to do a dolphin motion, alternately going beneath the surface and then coming up to breathe. As a result, my face is under water far more than most people whilst swimming. Does any water get into this mask? Yes, a very tiny amount does, but so little that it is only when I roll over to do backstroke that I notice it. I suspect that those swimmers who adopt a heads-up posture when swimming will notice water getting in even less.

Good value. Very comfortable and practical. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goggle-eyed, 4 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Aqua Sphere Seal Mask (Sports Apparel)
I'm a complete novice, but I thought these goggles were excellent. When it says watertight seal it means watertight seal. I'm very happy with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Water Tight, 8 Jun. 2011
I just got back from my first swim with my new purchase and...

They are a great and comfortable alternative to goggles (which just don't agree with me), with just a little press onto my face to make the seal they remained water tight (and fog-free) all the way through my swim. I even dived in a couple of times and although a little bit of water got in, it did not interfere with my swimming in any way.

The lenses are great and I could see all the way from one end of the pool to the other without any distortions.

Worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aqua Sphere Seal Mask - Black/ Clear Lens, 27 July 2009
A good product that is ideal for open water swimming and triathlons. The seal is leak free and comfortable for those `going the distance' depending when you swim it may be also worth considering the tinted variants of these goggles

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs some experimentation to adjust correct, 25 Feb. 2011
Mr. Stephen Lewis (Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a superb mask.

It took me over two weeks of experimentation and adjustment, however, to avoid leakage.

Unlike goggles, I found that the mask works better with the mask adjusted to fit tightly. I push the bottom of the mask as far down my nose as is practically comfortable. I swim a couple of lengths and then repeat the fitting. After that it will remain leak-free for hours. It is better not to hard push it into the face to achieve a hard suck on the flesh. A light push is far better.

Aqua Sphere Seal Mask