5.0 out of 5 stars STILL THE BEST FPS OUT THERE!
Published on 3 Feb 2010 by NeuroSplicer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what to make of it
The graphics are great, but there's one seriously annoying flaw.
I'll set the scene...

I'm there in my flak jacket with my M16, and I spot a dude in a loud shirt who I take offense to.
I sneak up on him and waste a full clip directly into his face. Nothing.
Then he shoots me with his BB gun and I die. That was on normal difficulty. What gives?
Published 17 days ago by JD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars STILL THE BEST FPS OUT THERE!, 3 Feb 2010
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Far Cry (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
2004 was a good year for FPS games. Both HALF LIFE 2 and FAR CRY were released. Whereas DOOM III and QUAKE IV came and went - mostly unnoticed, these two were here to stay. Nevertheless, whereas HL2 eventually got to my nerves with the whole STEAMed-you-need-our-permission-to-play-even-a-single-player-game blunder, FAR CRY was the game I loved the most and replayed again and again.

The graphics are just amazing! HL2 may have crisp and clear textures too, however, FAR CRY's are also realistic and detailed even at maximum resolution. The controls are intuitive and remapable - and take the character (Jack Carver) precisely where you want him. Running is fast and crawling is effectively silent. When greater distances are to be covered, vehicles are available to commandeer.

The weapons are beautiful: a mix of real and futuristic improvements. Ammo is never really a problem (well, with the exception of the Sniper rifle bullets and the RPG loads when they would really tip the balance in your favor) and, most importantly, the damage they inflict is TRULY BALANCED: both enemies and player go down with about the same amount of damage (you would be surprised on how many games this is not true - STALKLER for one...).

The story is interesting, the locales truly breathtaking and the horizon the further you have ever seen in any game! True free roaming is not actually available (try to round an island with a speedboat to circumvent same stubborn enemies and a black helicopter will chop you to pieces), however the taste is at the tip of your tongue the whole time.

The sounds and music have been worked on with care and they maximize the gaming experience.

My only (minor) objection focuses on the battles with the mutants: FAR CRY features one of the best enemy AI ever encountered. I truly savored battling human AIs - but was apprehensive when another mutant segment was coming up. The game is so realistic that it truly shines in real environments and opponents. Then again, it never lets you get bored either...

I am not an easy costumer (check out my other reviews, you will see what I mean...); nevertheless,

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Cry 2012, 18 Aug 2012
Paul (Gateshead, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Cry (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
This is the Best offline single player out.Allthough it says XP, there is a patch that now comes with it to run on Vista and Windows Seven. If you should find that your copy does not have this patch it can be down loaded from quite a few sites.I have been playing this game since it first came out and it still as surprises in store.Far Cry 2 is not in the same League.How did I Know about the patch, well my fist copy of the game had problems with sand & sea the same Color on Vista and Windows Seven So I bought a New copy from Amazon and was Delighted it came with the patch. I do play newer games as well but I always come back to Far Cry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Action, 7 Mar 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Far Cry is brilliant i enjoyed it very much and i'm only a gamer sporadically possibly die hard gamers would be more critical but for the odd evening gamer it is easy to play, the visuals are good and there is plenty of action

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent - I still play it compulsively, 23 Dec 2008
M. Appleton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Cry (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
My PC currently consists of an Athlon XP 3200+ CPU, a Radeon 9800 Pro and 1 GB of DDR (let the laughter commence), but this rig plays Far Cry with absolutely no problems, and boy am I grateful: this is one of the finest FPS ever released. Yes, it pales compared to current games demanding 2 grand's worth of kit, but then so does Resident Evil!

The graphics are excellent, with the jungle stages, in particular, standing out, and the environment is remarkably free-ranging (as opposed to the on-rails style of, say, Doom 3). Objectives can be approached with varying tactics, and enemies behave with uncanny intelligence (for example, summoning help rather than steaming in guns blazing). Weaponry is variegated, there are numerous vehicles that can be commandeered, and baddies include the human and the sub/super human.

I have only a minor criticism in that the SP mode is slightly too easy (even on the "realistic" difficulty setting), so FPS addicts will feel a bit short-changed. Not being one, though, I can play this game through any number of times without getting bored, so it represents the best tenner I've ever spent on games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong at this price, 3 Feb 2010
S. Misson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Cry (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Here you have an excellent game that will give you hours of entertainment for about the price of a pint.
I have played it though on several different levels and still find it an excellent game; one that I come back to again and again.
OK, hard-line gamers won't appreciate this game nor would the younger people. I am a silver surfer and enjoy it very much.
Buy it and have a go. If you don't like it you can always sell it on EBay!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what to make of it, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Far Cry (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
The graphics are great, but there's one seriously annoying flaw.
I'll set the scene...

I sneak up on him and waste a full clip directly into his face. Nothing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Class entertainment and affordable., 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Far Cry (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
I only discovered this game by chance in a shop a while back and got it really cheap. I wasn't expecting much when I installed it but within in minutes I was enjoying the whole experience. Its a wonderfully made game, Brilliant interesting storyline. Hours on end of gameplay it took me a week to complete, a huge array of weaponry at your disposal and a wonderful setting, a beautiful remote tropical island in the pacific with golden beaches dense jungles and high mountains all playable areas, the whole island scenery really adds to the game and gives it a brilliant atmosphere. I actually didn't want the game to end when i was playing it, it was that good. For a 2004 game it really was ahead of its day and rarely a game that has been produced since is better than it. Overall a huge seal of approval by me and no faults at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Cry was Brilliant, 14 Sep 2013
Mrs. Georgina Davies (north wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Cry (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
My husband loved this game. The graffics and the way it flowed from one scene to another. A really enjoyable game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Orignal but the best., 18 April 2013
This review is from: Far Cry (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
re-bought this game as great to play and better than Farcry 2 and 3. As often said the original is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 64bit compatibility, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Far Cry (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
I hope it's of some help to potential buyers: this game loaded on my Windows 7 64bit home premium (Quad-core Pentium i5) OK. There is an optimisation patch for 64bit systems that you'll find via Google and if the graphics freak-out when you first play then run the program as an administrator and your ready to go.
As for the game, I can only echo the sentiments of other reviewers - really good fun, good gameplay, graphics, sound, which is why I've installed it again on my new computer! Also, good old Amazon, at a great price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Far Cry (PC DVD)
Far Cry (PC DVD) by Mastertronic Ltd (UK Video Games) - Parent Code (Windows XP)
3.45