Format: DVD|Change

on 15 October 2007
I am considerably over the age demographic for this show and I rarely watch TV these days, but this is a fantastic series.

Great acting, believable characters and stories, fantastic direction and a genuine spirit at its heart that makes you feel you are a part of the lives of these young people.

Most cleverly of all, it showed how all the young people were products of their backgrounds and upbringings and how they were actually more sane than their parents.

Can't wait to watch it again.
VINE VOICEon 8 July 2007
Skins isn't your average teen based drama it's funny, vibrant, spirited, beautifully poignant, ironic and at times rather whimsical. There are 9 episodes that make up this first series and each episode is dedicated to a certain character (or two as the case maybe); through their own episode we learn about the lives of each person. Learning what gives them joy and more often what problems are set to trip them up along the way of adolescence. The most interesting characters are not necessarily the most likable, Tony played by Nicholas Hoult is on the surface a promiscuous, womanizing, Machiavellian figure yet he displays much depth of character despite being rather horrid to those around him most of the time. Cassie on the other hand is wonderfully kooky. Her episode offers us a surreal journey as we see the world through the eyes of a troubled anorexic who despite going through much for someone her age still retains a childlike innocence. Other noteworthy characters include Chris who does seem to escape definition (although he does remind me of Pacey Witter somewhat), and Michelle who shines in her episode. A likable character who I found rather dull is Sid, but he's sweet in his constant bad luck nonetheless. The remaining characters are Abigail, Effy, Maxxie, Anwar, and Jal (among the parents who aren't credited). It's quite a large cast but each of their story arcs are interwoven into one another's stories in a coherent manner, and we learn with each passing episode how each character relates to one another.

Skins definately is worth watching, it really is not as trashy as it appears to be, or as it was presented as. Whilst Skins is over the top it deals with all kinds or serious issues and manages to be incredibly intelligent and thought provoking at the same time, not many shows can boast such a consistent blending of concepts. Obviously this show is not for everyone but it's incredibly well written and very entertaining -- also what's great about the show is its unpredictable nature. The last few episodes in particular display the range and darkness the show is willing to delve into. For anyone not already aware this series does portray a great deal of swearing, drug use, nudity and sex. In effect it's not for the prudish!

Since each episode is following the journey of a particular character said episode is named after them. Thus highlight episodes include: 'Cassie', 'Tony', 'Michelle', 'Effy' and the finale episode 'Abigail'.
on 7 March 2012
What can be said about skins that has not already been said well not alot but coming from an angle in which i had continued to watch the show from 15 when series 1 started right through to last Mondays episode and going back as its all coming to an end. What set series 1 and two apart from the latter series was the characters and its own self awareness it understood the teenage issues faced by many in the late noughties and transferred it to tv if in a somewhat over the top manner. There is a level of understanding and willingness to tackle controversial issues that had up to that point not been shown on British Tv no taboo was left untouched or unbroken but in doing so it normalised many issues that needed to be normalised . And above all else each character complimented each other and helped bring another level to the show through these most complicated relationships we all face parents, first loves and adds a relatability to it but never losing the fun and semi sort of freedom that we all face and enjoy when we are teenagers. Latter series would become more studios and in some aspects a parody of itself but this first series shows British life for teenagers and how complicated and messed up it can if a little Over The Top at times. In a way we can all see ourselves in one of the characters or no someone like them thats how good it was.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 June 2015
On the surface, you may initially believe 'Skins' to be aimed primarily at teenagers, with a lot of sleaze, sex, drugs and parties, and make no mistake, there is plenty of that to be seen from the start, but despite it's target audience and somewhat teen 'soap opera' feel, I believe this quirky little gem from the E4 channel can be enjoyed by other people outside the intended age market.

This is an excellent production which focuses on the lives of Bristol, South West living friends, good-looking, smooth-talking Tony (Nicholas Hoult), his best mate Sid (Mike Bailey), and all their other pals and quirky characters they meet in life. Each character, a highly interesting individual, is given an episode devoted in their lives, loves and conflicts, and we are able to understand why they are as they are as we are gradually given an insight into their home lives and back stories. The young actors do a really wonderful job in portraying them. Some good guest stars pop-up throughout the series, including Sarah Lancashire and Danny Dyer.

Many issues are dealt with 'Skins', touching upon all of the typical situations that most teenagers have experienced, from bullying to substance abuse, making it highly relatable and completely watchable. I couldn't wait for the next episode as I came to care about these kids and was eager to see what antics they were to get up to next. Once again, us Brits showed them how to make a gritty and engaging drama.

This three disc DVD set contains the complete nine episodes of series one, broadcast on E4 originally between January to March 2007, and lots of extra bonus features including 'Ancillary storyline' for every ep, video diaries and the 'Director's cut trailer'.
on 20 May 2007
I'm another American who loves Skins. I thought this show was intelligent, thoughtful, sentimental, vulgar, over-the-top, subtle, and completely obnoxious. Totally, totally worth importing, I think. It just really works on all levels, and although I gather it's not everyone's jam, it's mine, and I'm a well-adjusted, twenty year old boy. Highly recommended viewing.
on 1 November 2007
Now with Sky+, I must admit to not really knowing what's new on tv now as I record everything to avoid commercials. I came across this on the Amazon website and it sounded good so I gave it a go, and it is by far the best show to be put on British TV in years. Its not some depressing soap opera set in some slummy neighborhood and it is quite realistic, I'm not sure why anybody would say otherwise if they have been a teenager within the last 10-15 years - I have to add that I loved the teenager who signs their name with Ms and thinks there is too much nudity and swearing. My teenage years were a lot like this in parts, lots of sex with both sexes, drugs, parties, needless swearing (which makes it appropriate swearing here). The characters are all great, I don't really have one that I'm not interested in as they all have such interesting backgrounds & quirks. I also really liked how they would take one character and delve into their life to explain their behavior. I wish to god we could produce a normal season of 20-26 shows per year, what on earth is with a 9 episode season, but I'm still glad I took the time to watch and I can't imagine anybody not being drawn into this show.
on 25 March 2007
I watched every minute of this series when it was on TV and cannot wait to sit down and watch it all again.

The storylines are engaging, and while sometimes going into the realm of being OTT (but in a good way) they always seem to be based in reality.

The characters are a genuine mixture of friends, instead of the groups of clones usually found in TV land, verging from the lovable (Sid) not so much (Tony) and slightly unbalanced (Cassie).

This is one of the few programs where I'm yet to hear a single person say they dislike it. It has certainly replaced Shameless (1st + 2nd series especially) as being my favourite show.
on 27 June 2013
This arrived on time but I found that when I tried to watch Episode 4 it simply did not have it on. It was as if the episode was not on the disk. Every other episode works fine and normally so I have not sent it back because I think that it will be too much hassle.
I love skins! It is an absoloutly amazing series and you should give it a go if you haven't already. The only reason I have given it 3 stars is because of the faulty DVD.
on 13 August 2015
4 stars. The casting of a bunch of unknowns was a big risk but I think it worked well. The show had a Myspace site set up to share more things about the characters which I don't think had been done before. Quite a lot of the season is wild and fun but set within the bounds of reality, they live in normal houses and the dialogue is very well written. The romance if you want to call it that centers around Tony-Michelle, Cassie-Sid & Chris-Angie. Sid and Cassie easily being the sweetest characters. Anwar, Maxie and Jal felt a bit like supporting characters in the series but it wasn't too bad. Chris probably had the best episode where's he's set up as the party animal with problems. The weakest episode is the Russia one in my view. The school setting, the parents and lots of the jokes helped keep the show feeling grounded and real, overall I'd say it was pretty good, extra marks too for originality.
on 13 March 2007
While Shamless was a thoroughly adult orientated show, skins is somewhat the same however uses the minds and forms of hormonal young adults.

I have watched the show in and out every week and was impressed with the way that the writers established the characters and the storylines. In now its 8th week, the plot has thickened as we now watch the dangerous underworld that Tony is dragged into.

This is my favourite part of the story as it is Tony's realisation that he rally does love his ex-girlfriend and he has destroyed his relationships with his friends by the typical teenage antics.

While the acting of the supporting cast is at times quite shoddy and amateur, the main charcters really pull it together well and make it and understandable and inspiring show to watch.

Kudos!