5.0 out of 5 stars worth the money
I purchased these as an upgrade from the Sennheiser HD448s.

I've had the K271 MKIIs a couple of days now. The sound has improved as I've worn them in and maybe it will improve further, I'm not sure.

Published on 17 Nov 2011 by I write reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Balanced sound, abysmal build quality
I bought a pair AKG cans about 25 years ago, and my last memory of them is of a faint wisp of black
smoke as the last of the brittle plastic that they were made of sublimated to what I believe is a better
plane of existence*, leaving me with but a bundle of duct tape no longer holding those few scraps together,
after a couple of years of light use...
Published 6 months ago by Flambo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the money, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: AKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones (Electronics)
I purchased these as an upgrade from the Sennheiser HD448s.

The AKGs aren't as comfortable as the lightweight Sennheisers; they're heavier and they clamp my head a lot harder, but I could still wear them for several hours. The up-side of the tight fit is that they do keep out a lot of background noise.

The most notable difference in sound is with the bass. Definitely more accurate. Now I can turn up the bass on my EQ and the bass in my headphones actually sounds clearer, as opposed to just boomier. I can actually boost it quite far before the AKGs complain.

Other than that, the sound is just better in general. I can't really articulate it without resorting to clichés such as "it's more open". Perhaps the dynamic range is a lot better. That is one of the selling points quoted on the box after-all. And maybe the large size of the cans offers better acoustics than in smaller closed-back headphones like the HD448s. Maybe the drivers are just a more generous size. Who knows, but they do sound good.

And they have a detachable cord, with two different cords in the box (straight and coiled to choose from), not to mention two sets of ear pads, great. Those are the accessories I want with headphones, not some cheesy "carry case" made of goat testicle fibres.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Fones!, 27 Jan 2012
LorenzoStDubois (Dumfries, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones (Electronics)
I've had some high-end headphones over the years (Beyer 990's, Grado SR 80's) but these 271's are a revelation. Not only is the sound superbly detailed and open, the build quality is great too. The above mentioned fones were great too but their Achille's heel was always the connection wire/plug weakening and eventually breaking. This was also true of my father's expensive Sennheisers and their replacement cabling was an equally expensive racket!
These AKG's come with two sturdy, good quality cables and a 1/4" SCREW-ON adaptor as standard, and a choice of earcups, so the whole package gives an impression of quality and longevity. The closed back design isolates the wearer from outside interference and fellow room dwellers from annoying buzzing! Superbly comfortable for this style of fone too.
Finally, my advice to prospective buyers of any product: stick to manufacturers who have successfully been in the buisiness for years, and forget new trendy makes-some of the names that came up during my search beggared belief!
Look no further if your budget stretches to around 120. Its a cracker!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid headphones, 10 Nov 2011
This review is from: AKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones (Electronics)
(Ir)Relevant information: I have been using these Akg 271 mkII headphones for one month now. I use these headphones at work connected to the cmoyBB v2.03 headphone amplifier which is fed from the NuForce uDAC-2. The music is most of the time in flac format. Other headphones I've used are the old Grado SR-60 and Akg K701 headphones.

I find these headphones quite comfortable to wear, at least for my typical 1 h to 3 h at a time usage. They isolate most of the sounds that is created by people walking by my office etc. For my ears the ear-pads are large enough so that they cover my ears completely, although the ear-pads are clearly smaller than the ear-pads in the K701 model. And while they isolate me from the outside noises, they don't leak the music I'm listening, at least not with the volumes I'm listening. My ears don't get sweaty while using these earphones, but I do feel that my ears get a little bit warm nevertheless. One nice usability feature is the built in switch in the head-band that cuts the signal to the headphones when you remove them from your head. This way the sound from the earphones doesn't distract your conversations if you have to remove the earphones for a short period of time. The build quality is good, but not quite as good as in the K701s. The flat headband of these 271s is something I do prefer to the one with bumps in the K701s.

The sound quality from these earphones is very high in my opinion. I really like the overall reproduction of the sound these headphones are capable of, although I do prefer a little bit more the more open sound of the Akg K701s. The bass frequencies are clearly reproduced in a more reserved manner with the 271 mkIIs, compare to the other headphones I have listened. It really does not mean that these headphones aren't able to reproduce the low frequencies, but at first they did give slightly thin feeling for their sound.

All in all, I would say that these headphones are highly recommended, especially for the situations very you really do need closed earphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly replicated sound on all frequencies, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: AKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones (Electronics)
They can feel cheap at times since the design isn't metal and the headband is thin and plastic. Can become a little uncomfortable; BUT LET'S FACE THE FACTS AND STOP BEING WHINY SHALL WE?!?!

Okay, the verdict: If the design was metallic chassis and a softer headband, the headphones would cost about 50-60 more if not 100 more. When we buy headphones what we are looking for is professional quality sound replication so that we can listen to and produce music at a high level of production quality. These headphones will offer you the same level of sound you would expect from a 200 pair of producer / studio headphones for the price range of 100-120. Bang for buck, these are the best headphones I have yet come across (the 120 beyerdynamics may be better since they are 80ohm impedence as opposed to the 55ohm AKGs).

Long story short, I could happily produce electronic music using these for the next 5 years or until I hit 100k subscribers on youtube. You really don't need any more than this unless you are a world-class musician or someone who is ridiculously whiny about the sound quality they get.

10/10 - Sound replication is superb. Stereo staging is superb. Frequency clarity is superb. EQ is flatter than my ex-girlfriend's chest (That's a good thing if you don't know much about audio engineering; a flat EQ is better for music production as it means EVEN BETTER sound replication).

Using these headphones you will hear the tiniest detail of every sound you listen to in perfect clarity. Listening to sounds of water I used to hear on certain video games I can hear the tiniest drips and splashes and it sounds absolutely brilliant. The 99.9% oxygen-free cable probably helps in this case too since it means virtually no information is lost in the transfer process from soundcard to your ears. Producing music I have noticed so many mixing mistakes I used to make when using the EQ and compression. My mix and master on my songs has improved twentyfold since I bought these headphones.

tl;dr 'BUY THEM NOW.' -Rykami

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tool and Pleasant, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: AKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones (Electronics)
These headphones are wonderful. Excellent as a tool to reference material and equally wonderful for the audiofile wanting an accurate representation of the original material. Reproduction of stereo image is superb. Those wanting boomy bass might be a tad disappointed but that is not to say that the bass is anaemic. Bought them to replace my DT100s for studio referencing work but in fact they now spend most of their time in my office for music listening. Build quality is very good but the cost-down process following the move to Chinese manufacture on the MKIIs is noticeable relative to the Austrian manufactured MK1 version. That said it is not where it matters (only stitching, branding etc.) and the sound quality is identical. Given the lower RRP it is a no-brainer compromise. As with most high-end audio don't expect them to be wonderful on day one. Took mine a couple of days of listening before the true quality started to showed itself whilst the diaphragms softened up. Modular construction and cable options are a nice plus.

Great headphones either for pro-audio use or for pleasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars AKG K271 Circumaural Studio Headphones, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: AKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones (Electronics)
My Sennheiser 565 Ovations, considered to be a standard for neutrality and detail are now 17 years old. I was recently in the British Library doing an online course, and the library uses AKG 271 studio headphones on all of their computers. I was so impressed with the sound quality that I ordered a pair online. I use them at home with a Meridian 203 DAC and an NAD 3020i audio amplifier, through the headphone socket. They are definitely in the same class as the Sennheisers. The bass, using the supplied velour earpads is rich, tight and deep, the midrange,while being less full than the Sennheisers, is crisp and incisive. This slight leanness in the lower mid might well contribute to the impression that they are slightly tighter than the Senheisers. The treble, however is very bright indeed, and reveals all the detail in a recording, warts and all. It can give the impression , of being slightly disorganised particularly with rock music. but this quality is largely benign and not intrusive. They also create a good sense of space,considering that they are closed-back headphones, and image well too, which seems to be largely down to the bright, incisive treble. They are well- built and do not give the impression of being fragile unlike the Sennheisers. Comfort is good, although I have not yet used them for many hours at a stretch. All in all a good buy and likely to last me for many years. With their occasionally ruthless exposure of fine detail, they may perhaps not be to everybody's taste, particularly if you like a warm,rich sound, however the bass is cetainly rich enough to avoid these cans sounding "cold" and has god punch and detail, too. I would recommend them to anybody who likes a bright, tight revealing, yet easy- to- listen- to sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always subjective, but great headphones for professional mix checking and listening enjoyment, 9 Nov 2012
A. Broadhead (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones (Electronics)
It is difficult to find anywhere to test out headphones before you buy, so it was a difficult process, and I searched for months before deciding. My choice was originally going to be the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) or Sony MDR 7506, but I'm glad I went for these instead. They are exactly what I wanted, and probably a better spec for the price than the Beyers.

I wanted a pair for listening enjoyment, but also mix checking in my project studio. I needed an uncoloured, balanced sound throughout the frequency response, and to be comfortable to wear for long periods. They had to be closed back to reduce spill for recording.

These have a great neutral sound, with a less pronounced bass extension than the DT 770 Pros. They are however, very tight sounding and accurate. The isolation from external noise is good, not the best, but then they are very light (unlike some other headphones). It's a good compromise, but for the most part I cannot hear people talking when listening at a comfortable volume.

They fit very well, with leatherette earpads. The box has a spare set in a velvet type material which looks comfy, but yet to try. They are fitted with an unpluggable straight cord from the left phone. This is great - most alternatives were fixed and coiled. The box includes a spare coiled one if you want, as well as a gold plated full sized TRS adapter for hifi and pro equipment. It's a screw on, which might make it difficult to replace if you lost it. The serviceable nature is great - and gives me confidence that I can use this for many many years to come.

1.0 out of 5 stars Balanced sound, abysmal build quality, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: AKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones (Electronics)
after a couple of years of light use.
Skip 25 years forward, and this sucker deciding to give it another go: this time I have been very careful, used
them only at my desk, never slept with them on, never dropped them; like I said, very careful.
They lasted one year, give or take a few weeks, same delicate piece of plastic as the other reviewer's, cracked
by what appears to be over-exposure to cosmic rays, or neutrinos, can't be sure.
I don't fault the shop, nor Amazon, but I am beginning to feel slightly sick about all the reviews on the net
that praise AKG's quality. Just my rant, cheers.

*Couldn't be worse than this, not in a Nork "factory", not on Venus.

4.0 out of 5 stars AKG headphones, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: AKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones (Electronics)
I think for the price they are a comfortable and clear sounding headphone. The frequencies are very clear and they do shut out most of the overspill of sound.

The only thing is that they cut off if you only wear them halfway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014