5.0 out of 5 stars A nice compact bag with plenty of pockets and cushioning
I wanted a small compact bag to carry around my Canon 1000D DSLR camera in and after browsing around the shops, this seemed to be the best option for me.

INNER DESIGN

Published on 10 Nov. 2009 by LY

3.0 out of 5 stars good but be careful on the sizing
PROS:
Overall this is a nice little bag in which to put a DSLR camera. The handle is nice,bag is light, and padded OK without making it too bulky.

CONS
First, the attachments of the shoulder straps to the clips, using a small pin to allow some rotation, seems rather flimsy and I am not sure how sturdy this will be long term. If the pin pulls out or...
Published on 13 Mar. 2011 by Sarah, England

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice compact bag with plenty of pockets and cushioning, 10 Nov. 2009
LY (UK, Glasgow) - See all my reviews

INNER DESIGN

The main compartment has two removable dividers which you can adjust by sticking them to the strips of velcro inside the bag. This is handy and flexible if you really needed to organise and hold items into place but at the same time, it can make removing items a little difficult because they tend to catch onto the velcro. The hot shoe did this quite often when taking out the vertically placed 1000D but, you do learn how to take it out without any difficulty eventually.

I've managed to find enough room to fit a 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-250mm telephoto lens inside. It feels well cushioned.

You'll also find two smaller pockets for memory cards inside when you unzip and lift up the hood of the bag. Even some space for something such as pens and pencils.

OUTER DESIGN

The hood overlaps the zips to the main compartment which means if it rains you don't have to worry too much about any excess water seeping inside to your equipment. Very nice touch.

Outside on the back of the bag there is a narrow pocket big enough for filters, batteries, lens hoods, small notepad etc. At each side of the bag where the strap clips onto are two elastic pockets which I don't really use but I found they're flexible enough to fit a bottle of Volvic water if you wanted to or just some rolled up pamphlets.

Last but not least, there is another two zipped up pockets at the front of the bag as you can see from the photo. Handy for holding the lens caps or filters when you just want to remove them temporarily. The bottom pocket where the clip is has a very puffed up cushion to it which makes any item inside feel safe and is big enough to hold a point and shoot compact camera.

A thick long strap is the main means of carrying this shoulder bag around and has a plastic non-slip padding on it so that it doesn't slide about on your shoulder on the move and minimise discomfort. The handle too is puffed up making it very comfortable to carry around even by hand.

SUMMARY

A nice comfortable to carry compact bag with plenty of cushioning and pockets for all those camera accessories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lowepro Nova 180 AW Shoulder Bag, 16 Aug. 2009
Mr. G. J. Buckley (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this bag for a Nikon D90. I wanted something initially to carry the camera fitted with the 18 - 105 kit lens only, but with room for a couple of additional lenses and a flashgun etc as I expand my kit. This was ideal, being neither too small or too big. It is very well made with lots of additional secure pockets for memory cards, filters etc. The bag also comes with a waterproof cover which pulls out of a flap in the base. The bag can still be opened when this is in place. A recent trip to Scotland with it's inherent variable weather proved it's worth. All in all an excellent buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got more in then I thought I would., 7 Jun. 2011
I bought this bag when I up-graded from an EOS 400D to an EOS 5D. Recently I have up-graded my lenses. I was surprised when I didn't have to up-grade my bag, hence this review.

So, what's in the bag? I have:

EOS 5D with BG-E4 battery grip attached.
A spare EOS 5D

PEC-PAD Photowipes for Photographic Emulsion, 100 Sheets 4x4
6 spare 5D batteries
8 spare AA batteries
Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap

It's all a nice snug fit and due to its size, one would never tell it has so much expensive equipment in it. This is the main reason I like it. It also as pockets for flash cards, lens pens, WB cards...

I wrote this review to let others know what it's capable of holding and I hope it helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 28 Sept. 2011
So I treated myself to a new camera the 600d and decided I really needed something to carry it around in and protect it when needed. I couldn't really be bothered going into a shop and looking at them, so decided I would make my decision off reviews of bags on here.

What I was after - I wanted a bag that would 1. protect and encase the camera 2. be water proof 3.have enough room for me to fit an extra lens and other bits without having to force everything together. Also we were going away on holiday so I wanted something that the camera could be in and out of, and when drinking wine / getting merry / on the beach it could safely be tucked in to.

Practicalities - so there are a couple of pull out padded walls in the main section so you can subdivide it, or pull them out completely. Thought this was a great feature. There is a nice big pocket at the front, and two small elasticated pockets at the sides. On the lid there is a nother zip pocket. So generally I found I had my shades in one side pocket, my purse and phone in the front one (its under the clip so very safe) and perhaps tickets / lip balm / other girly bits in the small zip one, with the camera in the main bit. This worked a treat for the whole week and I abandoned any handbags as the case was so practical and actually looked very nice (good matt finish, looks very professional / good quality).

Size - I would find it hard to believe that anyone would not like the size of this bag, its very compact but holds a few handy bits plus your camera, and room for extra lens too. Perfect. I think this bag and I will be friends for a long time.

ps. the waterproof jacket for it is genuis, and you would never know it is there unless you go looking for it :)

pps. the strap is very comfortable and easy to adjust immediately - i.e. with one hand when you're walking along

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well . ., 3 April 2010
I have a D90 with the kit lens (18-105mm) and also 70-300mm zoom, so was looking for a suitable bag that wasn't too large but would be able to carry the camera, lenses and other accessories - mindful of the fact that I would probably be getting a Macro lens at some point as well. Also I wanted the D90 fitted with the 70-300mm zoom to fit in the bag.

Having found a positive review from someone also with the similar camera kit I took the plunge and bought this item already having a Lowepro Zoom AW case and knowing the great quality of their products. When it arrived I suppose I was a little disappointed with it being larger than I had in my mind that it would be, but it does perfectly what I need. I've arranged the inside of the bag so that I can fit the camera + 300mm zoom, which it does and can still zip the top down. I'm a little concerned that you can feel the end of the zoom on the bottom of the case, which is decently padded but it means needing to be careful when putting the bag down on a hard floor since it would be impacting the lens if put down too hard. There is still space in the bag for another lens and all my accessories easily are stored as well.

For anyone with this combination of camera I would recommend the bag. It's not going to be suitable for carrying with you when hiking (which is one function I was hoping the bag would fulfil), but as a moderate size "do it all" camera bag it's definitely great quality and does the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Camera Bag, 1 Mar. 2012
This is a nice compact bag for a DSLR with a useful 'pac-a-mac' style waterproof cover. It's well padded for protection, and has several pockets for memory cards, filters, etc. My only gripe would be the comment "Capacity - 1DSLR, 2-3 lenses and a flash unit". This I'd like to see! I put a Canon EOS 600D with std 18-55 lens fitted, and a Canon 75-300mm lens in the main section - JUST! There is no room for manouver - which suits me as it won't move around...but it certainly wouldn't hold another lens and a flashgun unless you stored them in the unpadded side pockets. Fortunately I don't have any other accessories (yet) so this bag will suffice - but if you do have other lenses you may like to consider a larger bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect investment!, 3 Aug. 2010
Mr. L. F. Mazzeo (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I had a lot of difficulties deciding on the right camera bag for my DSLR + accessories. I really liked the style and layout of the Lowepro branded products and I'd heard great reviews suggesting their bags were very well made and offered all round padded protection. I was not able to find the 170AW on the high-street. I knew the 160AW would be too small (shallow) and I certainly did not want a large cumbersome bag such as the 180AW etc. Although, the sizes quoted on the website were confusing, I took a chance on the 170AW. Believe me I was extremely pleased! The bag will accommodate a Canon EOS 450/500/550D body with EF-S 18-55mm and/or 55-250mm lens mounted. There is enough space for 270EX Flashgun, second lens, battery chargers, x4 SDHC cards, x2spare batteries, AUX leads. The external front pocket is also very convenient for mobile phone & car keys etc. The stretchy side pockets are great for odds n sods or even drinks bottles. The padded shoulder strap and grab handle makes it very comfortable and a joy to carry.
I would also like to add that Amazon.co.uk were absolutely brilliant in replacing the first faulty bag. The original order was returned using the self-return process without a hitch and a new replacement bag delivered by 1st class post!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nova 170AW Just right, 26 Oct. 2011
Roosta (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
I already have a Lowepro Rezo 180AW which is a great bag, plenty of room for Nikon D5100, 70-300mm lens, flash unit, filters, chargers, lens hoods and all the little bits and pieces you tend to accumulate. The only problem with that is sometimes you just don't want to carry everything around with you. That's why after investigation I went for the Nova 170AW. I wanted something that I could put the camera and the lens in that was a little less obtrusive. This is where it gets interesting, don't get me wrong the 180AW is a great bag if you have loads of kit to carry around the cons to it are
The 180 All weather covering doesn't cover the rear of the bag.
When you have the All weather covering in place you can't get into the bag without removing the top partially to unzip.
The access into the bag is the opposite of what you expect (the flap over the top is not the way in), you have to unzip around the top, this you can get used to though.
The Nova 170AW however, the All weather cover goes completely around and you can still get into the bag to get your kit without removing the covering
The access is what you expect the flap over the top is the way in and the top fits over the top part of the bag. Apart from the internal room which I think you would struggle to comfortably fit more than a full size DSLR and a zoom lens into you do get a full length zipped pocket on the rear, 2 elasticated open pockets one on each side, a zipped pocket on the flap on the front, a slightly deeper zipped pocket underneath the flap on the front, a zipped pocket on the top of the lid inside and 2 velcro pockets for cards on the flap inside. Downside the strap buckles are plastic but I'm not sure you would get enough into the bag to overstress them anyway. Would I recommend the 170AW, if you want a day bag to carry your essentials in yes, if you want to carry more than a camera and a lens and somewhere to put your phone and car keys, think of going to the 180AW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of bags, 1 Nov. 2011
However many camera bags I have, I often find that the ideal bag doesn't exist for a certain job or trip or combination of gear. I do have a number of different, shoulder, rucksack, messenger and sling bags, all of which are great in their own way. The only bag I have which is capable of easily carrying 2 bodies with lenses attached and load or other gear, is a huge Lowepro Commercial...my wedding bag. I wanted something much smaller, lighter and handier, but with real versatility. After much deliberating I settled on the Nova and chose the 200 as that size gave the versatility.

Having configured the bag the way I like it I think it is simply one of the best shoulder/general purpose bags there is:

2 bodies with decent sized lenses can be accommodated with room for 5 extra lenses and a couple of flashguns or other accessories.

A divider can easily be pulled out to accommodate a large lens on its side, while still retaining the ability to take the 2 camera bodies.

The bag has a simple design without all the clutter of buckles and pockets that can bulk-up some types, add weight and reduce capacity.

Padding makes the bag quite rigid and should offer some decent impact protection.

The front pocket, lid flap pocket and 2 gusseted mesh pockets at each end are useful and practical, while not detracting from capacity of the main compartment. The mesh pockets stretch out nicely so you can actually get something in them!

The bag is not a tight squeeze for quite large cameras and lenses. A D700 will fit face down, across the width at one end with a lens mounted. 2 pro-level bodies will fit just fine.

The lid has a nice overlap zipper, flap and clip buckle, which really makes the bag secure against weather and wandering hands.

It is surprisingly light and has a small profile for carrying through busy or narrow areas, considering its capacity.

It feels robust and well made.

I like the weather cover, which doesn't take up much room in the bag and is easy and effective to deploy.

It is an ideal bag for someone who travels relatively light to a wedding but who still wants a backup body and flash. Its ideal for other event photography indoors or out and as a day bag for a trip out, when it could be packed with one camera, a couple of lenses and some non-photographic gear.

Its hard to find any fault with the design. Perhaps they could have fitted some rubber pads to the base, but that's about it. I slightly prefer this design to the Rezo bags, for its overlap zipper, depth, better mesh pockets and somewhat more rigid, robust feel.

This is a star of a bag and a real bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera bag, 20 Jan. 2011
Amazon Addict (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Lowepro keep on turning out great bags -and this is another of them. Mine has been used heavily for over three years and still looks as good as new. The usual thoughtul Lowepro touches are there in abundance -the rain hood that pulls out from a hidden lower compartment and very rapidly encases the whole bag to protect it from heavy rain, the gussets which stop things falling out of the front zip compartment, and so on. The feel of it is sturdy and secure, and the padding excellent. It is easy to open and close and I feel very confident that my treasured kit is safe inside.

You simply cannot go wrong with this bag. I use it for a Fuji Finepix s100 which is stored inside with the lens hood on and downward-facing -it's a perfect fit and there's plenty of room to get my wallet inside as well as a glasses case, and filters, spare batteries and other bits and pieces. I don't worry about shock when slinging the bag into the back of my car or on the floor more casually than carefully.

Great bag and very highly recommended.

Update January 2012

This bag continues to serve me well. It has proved itself to be tough as well as good-looking. It has been thrown around a lot over the last year and still looks as good as new. It has protected its contents perfectly. I can't expect more than this and am very happy with it. The bag is now over four years old.

Update March 2012

Now housing a Fujifilm HS 20 EXR and it is as happy in this case as the s100 ever was. Still a brilliant case and I cannot see any need to change it even though I love new things like gadgets and their bags. This is one that is set to stay.