on 16 October 2008
I purchased two of these one white and one black, for me and my partner. The video that this device creates is of standard TV quality so is more than adequate for everyday use. You can upload directly to myspace or youtube and even maintain a vlog with it. The quality is fantastic even in relatively low light conditions.

For on the go, spur of the moment, recording it powers up in an impressive 4 seconds. This allows you to capture any sudden events that happen around you. Carrying a flip mino means that you are unlikely to miss any important family or life events ever again.

The flip mino is the successor to the flip ultra and is both smaller and lighter, not that the ultra was ever bulky! It keeps the simple controls of the ultra and introduces touch sensitive buttons, including a rewind and fast forward button. This would make a fantastic present for anyone and the one button record and stop is so easy to learn that even a technophobe granny can do it (just remember to show her how to charge it back up again).

That leads me neatly on to what I see as the only down side. The old ultra model took AA batteries and these were good usually for 5 hours as well as being easy to change on the go. The new mino has a lithium ion intern
33 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2008
Wow...what an amazing piece of kit! My criteria was that I wanted something small enough to fit easily into my handbag, unobstrusive enough not to make people nervous and fun enough to make me want to play with it! Five stars in all three categories! And because of the integral USB port, it makes loading videos up my computer really easy. I'm a great lover of simplicity and this wicked little gizmo completely fits the bill.
on 19 October 2008
Was anticipating a bit of a toy. What a pleasant surprise.

The picture quality when on a TV is superb, and not just for the price. For ease of use must be 10/10 if I can use it without reading the instructions till after the event anticipate anyone can.

What seem to be initial limitations in no memory card usage, and no normal battery usage must be traded off with the small size and price?

The weight's just enough to aid holding the digicam steady and no more.

Purchased a Belkin USB lead from Amazon to avoid damaging the flip's USB when inserting straight into my laptop's port.

The buttons are very user friendly and very pleased with the results to date.

Flip's web page has what seems to sort out any problems with their FAQs.

For the price wouldn't knock it. The editing software could be a tad better, but here again at the price and ease of use no major moans. At least you don't have to load anything on the PC it's all in the Flip.

Will make a great Christmas present.
on 14 December 2008
I bought a Flip Mino a couple of months ago. It's beautiful to own and dead simple to operate. The picture quality is perfectly acceptable if you accept that it's not a high-end camcorder. The sound is okay, but could be better. However, I had a BIG problem, in that mine locked-up three times in the first few weeks. First and third time it was the Pause/Record button that froze. The second thime it was the Power On/Off button. In fact, the third failure occured on the very day I got it back from the seond repair. I followed all the instruction about how to re-set it, but nothing worked and it had to go back to the supplier three times. The third time I asked them for a refund,which they gave me (though I'm still out-of-pocket on the postal costs). Such a shame - I loved owning the camera, but it just wasn't reliable. Hence only two stars.
on 21 November 2008
After a very poor experience with the similar Kodak Zi6 product (not purchased from Amazon) the store suggested I give the Flip Mino a go. I'd seen a lot about Flip in the press so I was intrigued if it would live up to all the hype. What can I say, wow, it does more than live up to the hype - its fantastic! Its just so simple to use and the picture and sound quality is brilliant (It comes with the correct cable to plug into your TV). I then plugged into my PC and the very intuitive software is a real dream...its so easy. You can email your clips, 'one-touch' up-load to all your favorite sites like You Tube, My space etc, and if you really want to add a touch of professionalism to your clips you can even edit and mix your clips and add your own MP3's stored on your PC. Quite simply put this is a fantastic bit of kit that I'd whole heartedly recommend to anyone.
on 25 September 2008
Positives - its small, about the same size as a mobile phone. It is dead easy to use, literally pull it out, turn it on, press the red button and you're recording! Picture quality is good, the USB "flip" is a nifty bit of design and it is simple simple simple. 1 hour of recording time is good, it copes well with both movement and lower light, the sound capture is excellent and for a put in bag point and capture, it is excellent.

Negatives - really just minor gripes that could be improved in the next version - the screen is a little small (although totally adequate), the buttons are limited (no fast forwarding or rewinding your watched videos) and some of the associated software is a little "clunky". But again - minor quibbles for what is a pretty good bit of kit all round.
on 15 February 2009
I was sceptical at first when I ordered my Mino as I was used to carting around an all-singing, all-dancing semi-professional video camera to record my precious children's memories. How I underestimated the ease, quality and sheer convenience of the machine until I got to use it fully.

Unlikely my video camera I rarely use the 60 minute duration or have to worry about changing tapes because filming is now in more manageable smaller blocks which I transfer at the end of the day and in turn charge the machine up again (although battery life has also never been a worry). As a result it has inpsired me in turning the filming into small movies thanks at first to the inbuilt software but I am now progressing onto more sophisticated packages. No longer is the actual filming just sitting unwatched in tapes or in .avi files on storage drives.

For sheer convenience the fact it can be held securely in your palm means I can at last can film memories on places where I couldn't take the chunky video camera and it doesn't have all the time-consuming set-up requirements of normal cameras. My point and shoot movies from the front seat of a roller coaster rides are already proving an instant hint.

Oh, by the way the video camera has been forlornly gathering dust on the shelf ever since.
on 20 November 2008
I purchased a black mino flip to take with me on recent trip to florida, I wanted a camera I could easily slip into a pocket while walking round the parks and this was perfect for that. having never used one before I could'nt belive how easy it was to pick up and start filming. once home I simply plugged the mino directly into my lap top and was amazed at both the picture and sound quailty. I will definatly be buying another mino - this time as a christmas present for my girlfriend.
on 14 June 2010
I loved my Flip Mino when it first arrived - it was a brilliant little gadget. Perfect for keeping in my handbag to capture short videos of my baby son as he grew up. However, one year and one day after I bough my Flip Mino (and one week after I had last turnd it on - so technically it might have broken under warrantee) it wouldn't turn on. I emailed Flip convinced by all the glossy branding that had convinced me to buy one in the first place that I would get some useful support - either an offer to fix the Flip (even if I had to pay for it) or support with retrieving precious video clips that were stuck on the hard drive. I initially received an email within 12 hours (so I know that someone works in their customer services department) outlining instructions for a re-set which unfortunately didn't work. After that nothing at all in spite of numerous emails from me to follow that matter up. I feel deeply disappointed with Flip and sad about those videos. The key lesson from my experience - upload your videos all the time and don't expect much in the way of after sales support if something goes wrong. Flip is by far and away the worst and most frustrating customer service experience I have ever had and other companies who are much more responsive and helpful. My Flip has ended up being a rather expensive and disposable luxury.
I have a mino HD, which I've already reviewed, and I had the opportunity to compare it to the standard mino.
Unfortunately I've had to compress the video to upload to Amazon so the quality has suffered a little but it does show some of the differences. Both have excellent low light performance, so ideal for parties etc.

The mino and mino HD look virtually identical, just a discreet "HD" on the mino HD.
Operation is identical although you can zoom the mino before pressing the record button, the mino HD only zooms during recording. The TV out on the mino also works well, it's poor on the mino HD.
As you can see the mino picture format is 4:3, 640 x 480 pixels (VGA) and the raw camcorder output is a .avi file. 15 seconds of video from the mino is approx. 8.41MB
The mino HD picture format is widescreen, 1280 x 720 pixels, and raw format is .mp4. 15 seconds of video from the mino HD is approx. 19.4MB

Most laptops will play a .avi file, I've found that not everyone can play a .mp4 file (I can't upload them to Amazon for example, hence the conversion!)
Flipshare software is on the camcorder, plug it in to a Windows machine and it will install it and also update if you are connected to the internet. Very simple and easy to use; easy to edit and produce a video, it even comes with music.
Unfortunately the Flipshare program converts the videos all to .mp4 format; the latest update also exports as .mp4 (previously it exported as .wmv files which are more universal)
You can upload to Youtube etc.

These are brilliant little camcorders, easy to carry and use, and surprisingly good results, either is unlikely to disappoint.