on 2 October 2009
I had a Rowenta iron for many years and was going to buy a new one 8 years ago but inherited one of another make, so "used it up". I have had this for a month and used it a lot on a variety of fabrics, silk, cottons, linens, polyesters... (I sew!) and it does a wonderful job on all of them. It is heavier than my previous two irons and this is took a bit of getting used to. I love the pointed tip for ironing between buttons and other awkward spaces - not had one of those before. I like its very even steam distribution. Highly recommended!
on 14 February 2011
I bought this iron for my son when he joined the Scots Guards as, surprise surprise, irons are compulsory kit in the army. Anyway, he got his first home leave this weekend and brought the iron home to do his kit as it is so much better than his mum's.(How he knows, I'm not sure as he had never used an iron before he joined the army). In fact, it performs so well that all of the trainee guardsmen in his room (12), are queueing up to use the Rowenta whenever possible despite the fact that they all have their own irons. I regard this as praise of the highest order because army kit has to be perfect for inspection and the Rowenta obviously does the job better than most, if not all,others. On the technical side, this iron is light, glides smoothly over the clothes and packs a heavy shot of steam which really smoothes out stubborn creases. It also fills easily and has a fair sized water reservoir. Finally, the design of the front of the iron is very good at getting between buttons and into tight corners, it's a joy to use (so I've been told). It is so good that I will be buying a similar iron for my wife's birthday thus demonstrating my immense love and affection for her. She will be amazed and completely overwhelmed but only the best is good enough for her. (Submitted on Valentine's Day - what a romantic!!)
on 22 May 2009
After my old Rowenta iron went bang (literally) I struggled on with a Bosch steam iron which never seemed to get hot enough or be heavy enough or generate enough steam through its unreliable motor arrangement, until eventually it was taking about 20 minutes to iron a single linen shirt to anything like an acceptable standard.

Finally I could stand it no longer, and bought one of these. What a relief. Heavy enough (though not large or cumbersome), gets plenty hot enough, generates plenty of steam which really penetrates the fabric, and has a thin hotplate for ironing around buttonts etc. As a result, it now takes just a couple of minutes to produce a crisply laundered shirt without minimal effort - this iron just glides over the fabric.

You do have to watch the temperature settting, as 2 on this one may be nearer 3 on other irons. I'm also not sure how long it will take to clog in a hard water area (in theory you can use tap water, and it has a function to de-clog itself.) The steam issues from a large number of quite small holes - but then that's one reason why it's so effective. In practice so far, no reservations at all in recommending this one.
on 18 August 2011
Sunday night is ironing night. A mountain of shirts, all to be worn with suits; all needing to look good. And over the years I have struggled with pretty nearly all the brand names you'd expect, trying to find one that will make this job easier. All have felt too light - and then broken. Many have felt too fragile - and then broken. Some have had poor steaming - and then broken. Some haven't got hot enough - and then broken.

This Rowneta is pleasingly weighty. It's quite a different shape, with quite a rectangular base giving away suddenly to a very pronounced and effective point. It insists on taking tap water, and deals with the scale itself. It gives good steam. It gets very very hot.

The only slight gripe is what I have come to understand over the years is termed 'glidability.' Other irons I have owned have been more 'glidable' - and then broken.

I'm happy to sacrifice the glidability for the altogether more valuable quality of 'de-creasability'. And on that it scores damn highly: it gets things well and truly ironed.

And it hasn't yet broken.
on 12 August 2010
A ROWENTA Iron is a joy to use and this one is no exception. It is heavy so no pressure is needed to iron with it. The pointed end makes the fiddly jobs easy. In short a great product from a great manufacturer.
on 12 June 2010
Great iron, although the original one sprang a leak. I contacted Amazon who told me to contact a Rowenta Service helpline - but on checking there aren't any in the UK. Amazon then sent a replacement on condition that I return the original, which I did. The replacement arrived within days and Amazon also refunded the difference between the original price and the subsequently reduced price.
on 4 June 2010
I am a Rowenta fan and agree with most of the other reviews.
Just want to point out that the point on this iron is like a dolphin's nose and may not be to everyone's taste.
Good for getting in around buttons but I don't like it when ironing along a straight edge like a hem.
on 4 January 2011
Best performing iron I have ever owned. Steams through tough stuff like denim and linen with ease.
Whoever designed it did a lot of research into ironing. Easy to use. Easy to fill with proper, sturdy plastic
receptacle. Turns itself off if left unattended. It is heavier than my last iron (a Bosch) but
that seems to work in its favour as far as performance goes. Very pleased with it - quite like ironing now!
on 15 June 2010
Excellent product - does everything as described. All the features are easily used and it has a large water tank capacity which does not constantly need filling. The iron is not as heavy as described in the review - it is easily handled.
on 20 April 2011
I have had many irons in the past, but this one is second to none. Im so glad we read the reviews on here first, they can be so helpful. Don't hesitate to buy this iron, it just glides over the clothes and the dolphin nose is very useful round shirt buttons etc... I love the stainless steel plate & the fact that it switches itself off when not in use.
Thanks for such a speedy delivery. This is my 1st purchase from Amazon & certainly won't be my last. Great service!

See one answered question