5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, does what it says on the tin

1.0 out of 5 stars Expected better
Published on 3 Dec. 2008 by Mark G

1.0 out of 5 stars Expected better, 3 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
I have now had 2 pairs of these earphones and both have developed the same fault. The left earphone has lost most of its sound. I bought the first pair in July and by the end of August they had broken, Amazon to their credit, sent me a new pair and by the end of Nov they had also broken. My advice is to stay away from these and buy a different pair. They don't actually stay in the ear much better than normal earphones anyway and the sound isn't any better either, therefore there must be better options out there for the money.

Stay clear. I expected better from a company like Sony.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, does what it says on the tin, 20 Oct. 2009
T. R. Z. Hall - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
Got these about a fortnight ago, listen to them everyday. Sound quality excellent, bass rich. I find these phones very comfortable in the ear. When im not listening to them they are sitting around my neck, they are so light i often forget they are there. Definitely sport headphones, i have not had them fall out once! Like the fact that you can adjust where the wire comes off the loop, they come by default on the left side, but i far prefer it at the rear of the loop meaning the wire goes down my back and into my pockets, meaning no snagging.

All in all very good, the carry case they come with is a bit bulky and pointless as the headphones are rugged enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
Good quality sound and comfortable. Only one problem: the right speaker suddenly failed - just five minutes into use listening to the radio. Then worked intermittently, probably something to do with a faulty cable but not satisfactory with a brand new product.

4.0 out of 5 stars top kit, 14 Nov. 2008
Mr. David Vardy (norfolk uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
these are brilliant I've had them a good while now and go running on average twice a week. they've never slipped out or become uncomfortable and the sound quality is very good, they also block out a fair amount of other noise too which means the music doesnt need to be too loud.
all in all a great pair of headphones for exercising in and good value for money in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for running, 21 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
I purchased these headphones as I often go running and find it irritating when the headphones fall out. I previously purchased the Sennheiser running headphones with the same design of a band connecting the two ear peicesSennheiser/Adidas PMX 680 High-Performance Rugged Stereo Neckband Headphone for Sports. These were very good but the sound quality you get from them is vastly over-shadowed by the quality given by the in-ear design of the Sony MDR-AS50G headphones.

The wire is very cleverly designed. It comes initially very short; just enough to get to your elbow if you hold it straight. This is the perfect length if you carry your phone/mp3 player on an arm-band or clip it to your shirt. The wire can be repositioned to come out of either side of the connector so it doesn't matter which arm you wear your arm-band on. There is also an extension cable for if you carry your music player in your pocket too. The connector of the two ear-pieces is made out of a flexible plastic to fit anyones headsize.

Excellent sound quality and really good design for running. Good quality product

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for small heads and ears!, 15 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
I have a small head and ears, so earphones are always a problem for me. I can never get ones that dont fall off/out when doing any type of exercise, including walking down the street! These are the only ones I have found to stay in even while jogging.

They way they go on seems wrong and they dont tuck neatly behind your ears, so you think they wont work, but they do - they just do!

The first pair I had got lost, so I ordered another, and the sound wasn't working on one side, but Amazon refunded without problems and I ordered another pair, which are great.

Only downside is carrying them is not tidy. The case they come with isn't all that useful, and doesn't allow you to leave them attached to you mp3 player while carrying. However, I can live with that for the joy of earphones that keep pumping the sound into my brain!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
I have to say, I was skeptical, because on pretty much every pair of headphones I have looked at, there have been positive reviews, and negative reviews - so I was expecting the worst when I finally settled on a pair.
However. These things are great.

They come with sets of different sized earphone, which is great for someone with weird ears like me, the sound quality is amazing, and the design is just cool! The only downsides? They can be a pain to put in the little case thing you get (but that's soo minor, they're mostly in my ears anyway!) and when you first put them in they can feel uncomfortable, but that feeling fades soon.....fantastic point about them: they can drown out the sound of the outside world pretty easily!

Brilliant headphones I say. Well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought they'd be, 16 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
If I'd written this review a week ago, I'd have given these headphones a much lower star rating than I have. The reason I changed my mind? I finally started using them with the correct earbuds.

Like a lot of other reviewers I wanted some reasonably good headphones that I could use for working out in the gym. When I got my first iPod a couple of years ago, I splashed out on some Ultimate Ears SuperFi Pros which are just fantastic, but had a habit of falling out of my ears when I was doing bench presses, sit-ups etc - i.e. anything that involves you in not being vertical. I therefore looked for some 'sport' headphones, and having read the reviews on Amazon plumped for the Sennheiser PMX80s.

I didn't expect the Sennheiser sound quality to be anywhere near that of the SuperFis (it isn't), but what was most annoying was that (again like a lot of other people) within 15-20 minutes of starting to exercise my ears were full of sweat and the sound from the headphones was virtually inaudible. I came to the conclusion that their design actually encourages sweat to run down into your ears. I therefore looked for something with a similar type of neckband to the Sennheisers but with earbuds like the SuperFis, and ended up purchasing the Sonys.

If you haven't used this type of headphone before, the bass quality depends a lot on how well the earbuds fit your ear, and I started with the medium pair. Sound quality was similar to the Sennheisers, although overall a little bit 'brighter' and with a much broader soundstage. Again though, the moment I started exercising, the earbuds would loosen in my ear, bass would drop off, and external noise became far more intrusive. I thought they just weren't 'right' for me, but before ditching them and starting again I decided to try the bigger ear buds and the improvement has been dramatic. Bass is much better, external noise has much less of an impact, and best of all I haven't had a single issue with sweaty ears so I've decided to stick with them.

Having said that, if any of the manufacturers could come up with a pair of sport headphones that were comfortable, didn't have any sweat problems, and had something more approaching the sound quality of the SuperFis for around £40-50 they'd absolutely clean up, because from what I can see there's nothing on the market that does that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tinny sound and unreliable, however they do stay in your ears for hours, 1 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
I bought these earphones for the same reason that most people would consider buying them - for sports workout. The wrap-around cable enticed me as I find simple earplugs slip out when my ears get sweaty, the ear-clip phones don't allow the plugs to actually sit in your ear properly and the full sized earphones are simply too bulky to run with.

THE POSITIVE is that, with it's slightly unorthodox design, no matter how far I run, they stay in. A small clip attached to the cable also fastens it to your shirt so the motion of running does not swing the cable and cause additional annoyance.

THE NEGATIVE, however, rather outweighs the positive:

The sound quality, no matter what Joe Public writes on these reviews, is sub par. Slightly tinny, definitely lacking in base and maxing out the volume at a far lower level than even standard iPod earplugs, absolutely do not buy these earphones if you plan on them being your standard pair. If you think these produce sound of average quality, you simply do not know what quality of sound is.

The reliability. I am on my third pair now, and all developed the same fault. One of the sides stops playing audio. It will stop dead and never return, and with no obvious way to take it apart you can write the entire pair off. Amazon never got back to me.

All in all, I personally use these, and will continue to, as nothing else fits so well into my ear (like an earplug - blocks out most sound before even switched on thanks to the universal rubber plugs) and subsequently stays in after an hour or two of running.

However, you will have to continue to replace them as sooner or later they will break. And you will also have to own a second pair, otherwise your £200 iPod might as well be a £15 Sony Walkman.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 17 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
Bought for fitness use and general wear. Sound was the worst I had ever heard through earphones. Really tinny no bass no depth. Simple sound. Not rich or engaging. Very disappointed for a Sony product.