4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for an active lifestyle
Published on 23 May 2009 by S. Clarke

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
These headphones look great, but there is one thing that you can't tell from the photo's is that they have an ear bud on the inside of the pads - I was looking for some headphones that sit over the ear which these look like they do, but in reality they are just 'pads' not the speaker/driver is actually located in this bud.

For some people this may not be an...
Published on 12 Sep 2010 by Adrian J. Kerry

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for an active lifestyle, 23 May 2009
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS30G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
I bought these for use at the gym as I was tired of the in ear headphones falling out and also found them uncomfortable. These look really good, they are lightweight, very comfortable and stay in place even with very active workouts, and can also stand up to a good drenching in sweat! My only small criticism is that the headphones don't block out ambient sound very well so you have to play your music fairly loud. The headphones are very well made and output a pure sound that your ears will love. They come with a compact case and an extension lead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS30G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)

For some people this may not be an issue, but I found that this was very uncomfortable - anyone with experience of "ear bud" headphones will know that they have a soft rubber/plastic surround that you press in to your ears and it holds the bud in place - no so with these headphones. The rubber/plastic is slightly harder (it may feel similar in your hands but in your ears it's completely different) - the problem with this is that the 'bud' is too big, I've got average sized ears and these were really uncomfortable to the point that it actually made my ears physically ache from this design.

It's a real shame as if they had just been over the ear headphones I imagine they'd be very comfortable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most, 6 Oct 2009
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS30G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
Having tried a few pairs of headphones for gym use (most recently, the Sennheiser PMX 70's which i gave up on as they were simply too uncomfortable, even after a few months of trying to wear them in), these have definately been the best so far.

They stay in place solidly enough, have decent sound quality (even when soaked in sweat - something that the PMX 70's seemed to struggle with, often producing an 'underwater' effect) and a shortened cord option to complement an the use of an ipod armband. They also come with a small case to protect the earpieces from damage when not in use.

On the minus side, the first few times of wearing them can be uncomfortable where the hardened rubber bits go in your ears, but persevere and soon enough these start to soften a bit and you get used to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick for me, 23 Nov 2009
P. Griffin (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS30G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
Ideal for non-joggers too! A great choice for use when gardening, painting etc. - with the ear-bud type I got fed up with those stringy wires catching in things as I lent forward & the ear pieces falling out with head movement. In fact I use these indoors & out as first choice. A few things I hesitated over that you can't tell from the photo: the small ear 'tips' have a hollow, rubbery feel - they are not hard plastic or sponge, and for me not at all uncomfortable after continuous use. Also, there's no downward pull on the ears - they are light and a slight but effective inward tension combined with the tips holds them in place. Perfectly adequate sound for the price & the carrying case is a bonus if you can remember which way to put them in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony headphones for the gym, 27 May 2009
A. Lowrie (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS30G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
These headphones stay on your head and don't mind getting hot and sweaty (so far) and they are good enough quality for pumping out fast bass rythms to keep you motivated. They do just what I wanted them for! The short lead is also great as it minimises the amount of slack flapping about to get caught on the machines. For Gym work, these headphones are great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, headphones I can sweat into!, 29 Oct 2009
JLP (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS30G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
As a keen long distance runner I like to listen to music when running. The problem I have always had is that sweat invariably causes my headphones to malfunction (as I sweat quite a bit). I have tried all sorts that claim to be 'sweat-proof' and yet I always end up with music only in one ear or with gradual decreasing volume. Additionally, for a 6'1 bloke, I have very small ears and found it very difficult to find headphones that would stay in my ears comfortably while I ran. 'In your ear' products would fall out while most clip-on/over-ear designs seem to be one size fits all and that one size seems to be Prince Charles or the BFG! So, I wanted headphones that didn't react badly to sweat and fitted my small ears comfortably. I initially tried a Sony clip on type, which actually fitted my ears but despite claiming to be water/sweat resistant often lost sound in one ear in less than 30 minutes. So I tried the MDR-AS30G. They fit quite loosely in the ear and are padded so I found them perfectly comfortable and I have never had sore ears. They were stable due to the neck band and the sound was good. Most importantly, I have never experienced any loss of quality from sweat even when running a half marathon. The only possible down side could be that they drown outside noise a bit too well, making it potentially hazardous if you run on main roads. But all in all they do what I wanted them to for a very good price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for small ears !, 11 Nov 2009
N. Bearne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS30G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
I was looking for some headphones to use down the gym and thought I would give these a go. Personally they are no good for me I have a small head and small ears so they wouldn`t sit properly over my ears and wouldn`t fit in my ear without hurting. However when they do fit snuggly on the right person I would say the sound quality on them is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two very satisfied customers, 22 Jun 2010
Mr. R. J. Thompson (South Yorkshire U K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS30G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
This is the second pair of these headphones I have purchased, the first pair were for my wife who has difficulty finding headphones that she can get along with.
When her daughter called on us and offered to help in the garden, I thought it would help pass the time on the mundane jobs if she used the personal radio which was connected to Sony MDR-AS30G headphones, well she thought they were terrific so we bought her a pair for her birthday and she was delighted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony MDR-AS30G Active Series Headphones, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS30G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
I definitely recommend it, I am using these headphones almost everyday, not only at the gym but to go work too. The bass sound is excellent. It does not drop from you ear when you are exercising. Nice stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony MDR-AS30G Headphones by 'Beckitts', 11 Feb 2009
Mr. A. Shorter "Beckitts" (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-AS30G Active Series Headphones (Electronics)
I have tried several types of earphones & headphones but most were uncomfortable or fell out due to my ear shape. These were bought to try, and are a revelation. They are comfortable and stay were they are put, but most importantly, they sound superb. I am revisiting some of my discs and hearing things I have not heard before.