5.0 out of 5 stars A great router, simple to use yet highly configurable.
Published on 18 Oct. 2008 by John Nunn

1.0 out of 5 stars WAG160N wireless does not work
Published on 29 Nov. 2008 by Chris B

1.0 out of 5 stars WAG160N wireless does not work, 29 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Linksys by Cisco WAG160N Wireless-N Modem Router - 300 mbps (for ADSL / telephone line connections i.e BT Broadband) (Electronics)
This is a great looking router and its wired functions works very well indeed. However, it is a wireless router, and that is the bit that does not work. All the following comments refer to wireless clients only. The DHCP server will frequently fail to allocate an IP address when the client restarts. Result - no network connection until a router reboot. Secondly, if you allocate a fixed IP address to get round that problem, file and printer sharing does not work - clients cannot see each other.
The Linksys forums have lots of comments on this but Linksys has been totally silent on indicating whether they intend to fix the problem. What is more, as users become more frustrated and criticise the product, they delete the forum posts.
If you do not need wireless, then save some money and get a wired-only router. If you want wireless, this router will let you down.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this router - read this before buying!, 26 July 2009
I saw this router came top in the Which? review and despite some bad reviews on Amazon I decided to go ahead and buy it. This was a bad move. Initially the router was easy to set up and worked well initially.

About 3 months after purchase it started losing connection to the Internet which was resolved by unplugging and plugging back in the telephone line or re-booting the router. This problem became more and more frequent and then to top it all I had problems connecting wirelessly. Although my desktop PC could connect to the Internet OK the laptops in the house could only 'see' a local connection. Even when I was able to connect wirelessly, the router also started to drop wireless connections regularly. I installed the latest firmware on the Linksys site (V1.00.12) to no avail.

I used the Linksys online agent facility to try and resolve the issue. They told me I needed to carry out a 'full reset' on the router.
1. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
2. Then, unplug the power keep holding down the reset button for another 30 Seconds.
3. Plug back the power back in, and keep holding down the reset button for 30 Seconds.
4. Release the reset button.

This seemed to work for a while but then the problem came back. I seemed to be able to persuade it to let laptops connect wirelessly with no encryption, but as soon as I introduced encryption it failed.
I used the Linksys online agent facility again. This time they asked me to upgrade the firmware to "the most stable firmware for the router." This turned out to (V1.00.10) which surprisingly was the firmware that the router was delivered with! I aired my surprise and concern but did as I was asked. They told me that if this did not cure the problem that they would send me a new one if it was still under warranty. I said it was as I only bought it in January 2009 - although the conversation was very worrying and went like this:

Dave: Serial Number: SSH00H405937
Model WAG160N-UK
Description WAG160N-UK, Wireless-N ADSL2+ Gateway
Orig. Manufactured: Apr 01 2008
HW Warranty Expiration (est.) Oct 23 2009 [09:50:21 AM]
Ian: I'm really not sure what you are saying - are you suggesting that the warranty starts from the date you manufacture an item rather than the date I buy it? [09:47:11 AM]
Dave: I am afraid Yes. [09:51:38 AM]

I'm sure this would stand up under UK consumer law but disturbing all the same.

Anyway the 'firmware downgrade' still did not cure the issue and I contacted them again.

This time the agent promised me that I would get an e-mail 'tomorrow' telling me how to return the router. No e-mail arrived so I e-mailed them again but I got no reply.

In exasperation and two months after starting this 'quest' eventually I got them to give me a returns code via another agent. But do note: Under the warranty agreement you as a customer have to pay the postage costs to the Netherlands to return the item. You also only get a refurbished router in return.

I haven't received my replacement yet, but I think the experience so far is worth posting a review. Just Google 'WAG160N problem' to see how many people are experiencing issues.

In essence Linksys (Cisco) have got something VERY wrong with this router - and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I will not be buying another Linksys router!

In case you are wondering if I am a bit of a nupmty and don't know one end of a router from another - I am an IT Consultant and have worked in the industry for 25 years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Router - Not Apple Mac compatible, 23 July 2009
Finlay Murray "Fin" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great little router and looks really good too. On internet speed / performance it does very well and I can't fault it on that.

But I've had two major issues with the router which have lead me to return it.

The first was that when I upgraded the firmware to the latest version the router kept rebooting every 3 or so minutes. I tried everything to get it working again and as a last ditch attempt I downgraded the firmware. This solved the rebooting issue but wasn't an ideal solution.

The second issue I had was that after 24ish hours of running the router blocks any Bonjour (Mac Networking) traffic. This meant that all Apple Mac networking would be crippled until you restarted it. Further there is no option to restart it via the web interface you just need to unplug it.

The following things would get blocked: Wireless speakers though my apple airport express / iTunes Library Sharing / iPhone remote for iTunes / wireless printing & scanning / apple file sharing etc.

I contacted Linksys directly and they said they were aware of the problem but had no solution and recommended that I return the item.

Pretty poor considering it states that it's Apple Mac compatible. I'm very disappointed with this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works, 25 Aug. 2009
Traveller (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This router gave me untold problems from day one and was eventually returned which Linksys diagnosed as faulty. The router provided me with a wireless speed of 180mbps from a 10m distance. Router model does not work on WPA2 security settings - continually drops signal - Linksys confirmed this is an ongoing problem with this model - therefore this router doesnt do what it says on the tin. I spent over 6 pounds in calls to Linksys before it was diagnosed as faulty. After reading the various reviews I dont believe the big manufacturers have got a grip on N wireless technology or they are having quality control issues. I am going to stick with wireless G technology for now and keep using our O2 router.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great router, simple to use yet highly configurable., 18 Oct. 2008
John Nunn (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
After having used a number of different ADSL routers over the past few years, I decided to try this model because of the reliability of CISCO in the comercial world. I was not willing to spend several hundred pounds on a cisco model but Linksys are CISCO's consumer brand. I have been very happy with the performance and reliability of this device. The configuration is simple and powerful with very precise control over firewall rules. The wireless settings are versitle and allow for a large number of devices to connect. I have had no problems connecting several laptops and smart devices to this router despite some of the devices being fairly old.

3.0 out of 5 stars Purchased as a replacement router, 14 Sept. 2009
S. Southgate (Dorset) - See all my reviews
Recently purchased a new Sony Vaio, which has a wireless-N radio. My trusty old 3Com Office connect Wireless G router, which has worked perfectly for years was to be retired and replaced with this Cisco WAG160N.

When it arrived, it was plugged in and configured within 15 minutes. There are several wireless devices around the house and they all managed to connect easily. An Xbox 360, an Ipod Touch, a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop and the new Sony Vaio NS30. the internet did not drop out at all, but neither did the internet on the 3Com.

I had initially enabled DHCP on the router for ease of use, this worked fine for about two days, then the Sony would not connect, neither would the Dell, the Xbox and Itouch were still fine. I had to play around enabling/disabling the wireless card in the laptops to get them to work. This was becoming a bit of a pain, as normally you just want to switch on the laptop and automatically be connected to the internet.

Because I had no real desire to be able to see the other devices around the house from the Sony, I fixed a static IP address. I repeated this for the Dell laptop as well, from then on all has been fine with automatic connection, however the ability to share files across the internal network between devices does not work if DHCP is not being used.

I bought this router based on price and company reputation, Cisco being the world leaders in routing, you would think could get a simple thing such as DHCP working! If you read other reviews you start to see a pattern with regards to DHCP.

Another downside to this product is that it gets extremely hot underneath. I have this sitting on a wooden side cabinet, but have had to put two glass coasters underneath it so as not to scorch the wood. I also flashed the firmware to the latest version (easily downloadable from Linksys website) as it was not the latest straight out of the box.

All in all not a bad product other than the fact DHCP does not work (properly), coverage is very good throughout the house eliminating dead spots that the 3Com experienced.

For the money and the fact it is Wireless-N this represents good value for money. If you want to share files and media around the house, don't bother choose a different product as this will rely on DHCP working for all devices, which could be problematic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a budget router, 30 Mar. 2009
Tea Tango (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Linksys by Cisco WAG160N Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Router

I tried this budget router at my apartment.
It has a descent signal range, but not that much better than my older router.

its pretty light, and does run quite HOT.
It has very 90's green lighting, which is something I personally dislike.

Connecting the desktops via LAN wires worked well. Laptops were fine if I used the wireless feature.
I did have some dead spots, but far less than my older router (which was a free router provided by BT).

A lot of users have had problems, but I recommend that they UPDATE THEIR FIRMWARE from the support website. There is a few firmware update that solves some issues.

If your really looking into a budget router this is the one, if you want something better then you need to spend a bit more :)

The LELA software is nice and all, but firmware updates still need to be done via the 192.168.1.1 webpage thing, so you still have to use that webpage to do most things, but i guess the everyday stuff like changing the router password or adding new devices can all be done via the new LELA software.

UPDATE: i, along with a number of other users are now having problems with the router due to drop outs in signals, this problem is partly the router and partly microsoft! So if you do buy this product and run into problems, i recommend to send it back and get something from NETGEAR. These issues will evenually be solved, but not for a while im guessing :(

UPDATE2: a new firmware is out that seems to have solved most the compliants! so start buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal router! Edit: Warning: Apple compatibility issues, 29 Sept. 2008
I rarely review items on Amazon, but felt compelled to write a short review of this product to counter the other rather negative reviews.

I bought this, after reading high praise on various websites such as pc pro, to replace an aging BT voyager router.

This is not a router for the technically timid. Setup involves an awkward looking web-based config - however, once you obtain the right settings from your broadband provider the fields are easy to fill - in fact, for me the default settings "just worked". There is a CD based config package which is PC only. As a Mac user I couldn't use it. Perhaps this makes the config easier.

One further potential problem for the wifi newbie. The unit is provided without wireless security enabled by default - a pretty bad practice, which encourages poor security in the uninitiated.

Still, for the technically competent, however, this router is a dream. Once set up the performance is astonishing - I had not imagined how much my old router was holding me back! Even webbrowsing is faster now. Wireless transfers of large files are very fast and smooth.

Very very impressed. I strongly recommend this router.

Oh yeah, and it looks very cool too. ;-)

Edit: Oh dear. One week later and I am returning the unit to Amazon. Why? The unit has a very annoying bug - after it has been running for 48hours or so all apple Bonjour services are blocked - this means that Apple to Apple networking stops working. Very frustrating, as otherwise the unit is brill.

Bottom line: 1 star for Apple users 4.5 stars for everyone else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish if you have any Apple Mac/ Apple TV or Apple itouch, 6 Oct. 2009
After having this installed, it connected and established a connection with my DSL provider BE about 2mb more than my previous Netgear. So I was happy with the ease at getting it up and running. Problems started when we started using any Apple products, it would block all Bonjour networking, but only after around 24 hours. If you reset, all would start up again.

Looking on the net, there was 3 firmweare releases from Cisco to address this issue, but it in practicality has not been fixed. There are numerous posts, which I should have checked 1st as I reccomended this to a friend and they are now also having the same issues.

Avoid if you have anything that uses Bonjour networking protocol..

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK router when it feels like doing it's job, 9 April 2009
I purchased this router thinking it would be the bees knees for a home network and future proof i.e. windows vista compliant. How wrong I was, the router is fine for doing a wired/ethernet connection to a vista computer; but has a seizure when trying to connect a vista computer/notebook to it wirelessly. I have tried every solution in the book on the linksys support forum, but no can do. The fact is that linksys haven't even bothered to make this "Brand New" router windows vista compliant and the only solution is a recall of the product or a firmware update by linksys. The router is an insult to Cisco's name and they should be ashamed for failing to create an exceptional router. However, for windows xp this is one of the best routers available and is a vast improvement on what BT has to offer with their Voyagers. I owned a BT Voyager 2110 turbo previously which is rated highly but in fact kept having seizures and crashing all the time forcing a reboot.
So if you just have windows xp computers/notebooks then this will do the job no problems. However, if you have windows vista avoid this thing like the plague and buy a Netgear N router instead.