4.0 out of 5 stars Great value with superb looks and pictrue, 6 Oct 2008
R. Dawson "bluemanc" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips 42PFL7603D - 42" Widescreen 1080p Full HD LCD TV - With Ambilight & Freeview (Electronics)
Bought this TV and have been using it over a month now. Firstly it looks great in the living room which is an underestimated aspect of picking a TV these days!
Secondly the picture is excellent once setup correctly (see online help threads for setup guides) and in particular SKY HD and PS3 are amazing. The sound is also surprisingly good for a TV and the ambilight is an added bonus which you soon can't do without.
Downsides are too many picture setup options mean findging the right one for you can be a pain. Secondly when using SKY HD and changing channels the TV seems to struggle sometimes- it detects a change in signal and pauses- saying 'video format not supported' before adjusting and finally displaying the channel after say 2-3 seconds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 24 April 2009
Simon Hughes (Chester, England) - See all my reviews
I read the reviews and checked out a few TV's in different shops. Somehow I was always drawn to the Philips TVs - picture clarity I suppose. Took the plunge and haven't regretted it. The TV was a doddle to set up and even I worked out how to cable it to the DVD and BT Vision box - oh, and the Wii. Picture superb and sound surprisingly good. Star attraction is the ambilight which seems a bit gimmicky, but when I switch the ambilight off, the viewing experience is now all wrong. Ambilight does seems to make it a more easy viewing experience for your eyes and you find yourself drawn into a programme. Strange but brilliant.

Glad I waited and very glad I bought this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing tv :), 21 Jun 2008
R. Mann (suffolk) - See all my reviews
Bought this tv after alot of searching, I ordered it on a wednesday at 5pm it arrived friday morning. Just set it up today, really simple to set up, literally plug in and quickly go through some preferences which are very good, and your ready. I dont currently have sky, freeview or freesat so im only watching analogue channels atm, which are ok, I think our signal is abit naff as we live in the sticks. I've watched a few DVD's, again they wernt blu ray or HD but still very good quality. I also hooked it up to my xbox 360 and it looks stunning, the ambilight works brilliantly, no dead pixels and the full HD is just perfect, I looked at alot of tvs before goin for this one and im glad i bought this.
The tv itself looks amazing, very shiney strong and stilish. The stand is good quality too. Also the sound is really good quality, although I will be getting surround sound soon I hope.
I will update this review when I get freesat hd next month [I hope] and I'll soon be getting a blu ray player too. But for now xbox and standard tv will do nicely, hope this review is helpful, :) I highly recommend this tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 Feb 2009
D. Squires (UK) - See all my reviews
After an extensive search and a lot of research I purchased this TV and it is truely stunning.

My 50" 720p DLP tv, was on its way out so needed to be replaced. This had been an awesome peice of kit especially since HD input (PS3) became avaiable. I do take my AV needs very seriously.

If i was to stay at 50" there are only 2 choices - Panasonic or Pioneer and quite frankly i don't have the spare cash to get the model i would want - besides, my wife wanted a smaller set as my current tv dominated the room.

So once decided on 42" a great deal of reading began and the choices were in essence Sony, panasonic or Samsung......OR Philips?? This one came out of left field and was a big suprise.

Sonys aren't big enough for my liking and the Pannys that look amazing cost too much and are a bit ugly. It became apparent that the picture quality of the big few are very similar and especially after tweaking to your liking. So there needed to be something to grab me. Enter 'Ambilight'. What used to be seen (by me) as a gimmick, is actually brilliant. It really does help immerse you in what ever you watch and having a 'backlight' seems to increase the already impressive contrast ratio.

So in short it has an amazing picture which does make you say wow! (but no better than a sony or panny) but the 'ambilight' adds so much to your viewing experience that it raises this above all of its rivals. Oh it is also worth mentioning that the sound quality is best i've heard on any new TV and is possibly the best looking out there. I can't recommend this more highly.