4.0 out of 5 stars Finally - comfort!
Published on 26 Nov 2008 by lucy

1.0 out of 5 stars dont bother
arrived in time but poorly packed like it was an afterthought item barely size and shape advertised also not even close to 3 inches thick actually measured 2 and 5/8ths inches thick even after 48 hrs alowed for expansion
Published on 15 Oct 2010 by P. Lucas

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally - comfort!, 26 Nov 2008
lucy (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double 3" Deep Memory Foam Mattress Topper With A Washable Removable Cover
After putting up with a terrible mattress (springs poking up all over the place, lumpy, moves every time someone turns over) for months on end, we decided enough was enough! We didn't want a new mattress, because a) we couldn't afford it and b) we'll only be using the bed for another 6 months, so we decided to get a mattres topper. Based on the reviews seen on Amazon, we purchased this 3-inch memory foam topper, and we definitely made the right choice.

It was delivered tightly rolled up in a box (left outside our door for us to find when we got back from work, despite bad weather, which was a bit dodgy, although luckily he'd hidden it behind the flowers (!)), and so when you open it and roll it out it looks squashed, flat and ridged in all the wrong places. It was also smaller than our double bed. We were worried we'd wasted our money, but of course we flattened it out and left it to expand to it's normal shape. Come bedtime, it was perfect. There's a strange, almost chemically, smell about it, but hopefully that will go with time. However, the extra comfort we've gained after just one night's use is enough to make me add my first Amazon review! We were persuaded to buy it because of the reviews on this page, so I hope this will also encourage you to go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lower back and hip ache gone, 7 July 2009
Roe Deer (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
Prior to having this mattress topper I had nagging lower-back ache and aching hips from sleeping on a mattress that was too firm and wiry in rented accomodation. My chiropractor recommended these toppers as they have had good feedback from patients with lower back pain. If you are sleeping on a mattress that is too firm, the pelvis is pushed up too high and the base of the spine is uncomfortably arched lying on both your back and side. I doubt it would improve a broken/sagging/too soft mattress.

Within two nights of sleeping on the (heavenly!) topper, the pain had gone completely. Getting into bed is such a pleasure and the topper will not be difficult to roll up and take with me to my next house as it has a carrying bag.

Some people have mentioned that it is uncomfortably warm during summer. It is warm, but sleeping with just a sheet over you or a summer duvet, it is not too hot. In winter it will be very cosy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would definitely recommend for back pain, 18 Jan 2010
Kate Doherty (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I suffer from severe lower back pain and hesitated to buy any new mattress in case it made it worse. Finally decided to get the thicker mattress topper and can only say it's the best thing I've done.

One thing that put me off before was the smell according to other reviews, but I can honestly say there was no odour at all from either the mattress or the 2 pillows I got with it (except a faint new smell as you would get from any bedding but certainly not unpleasant).

Although I've only used the topper for a few nights now, it has definitely made a huge improvement to my bed - I couldn't sleep on it at all before due to a hard ortho mattress. I left the memory foam for 3 days to expand and it nearly reached the advertised 3 inches, but is thick enough to not even feel the main mattress underneath. It doesn't look as if it'll be soft but it is when you lie on it, your body just moulds into it. Oh and don't worry if it looks like it has a big dent/fold when you first open it out, that disappears after the first day.

Another reason I know it works is that I've had to lie flat with a pillow under my knees, so my heels dig into the bed, and I wake up with pain from the pressure it causes. In the few nights I've used the topper I haven't had any pain in my heels at all. I need to give it more time before fully singing its praises but so far I can't recommend the memory foam topper enough, especially for anyone who has joint pain.

The pillows look like huge boulders when they first expand and appear as if they'd be uncomfortable, but like the topper they mould into you and are really comfortable (up to now I've been using 2 ordinary pillows on top of a big cushion, AND a lumbar cushion underneath my back). I feel as if I'm lying in bed properly again.

It's not often I buy something that I truly feel is worthy of such a good review but I feel that so far this deserves 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars comfort plus!, 23 Nov 2008
I was advised to get a topper by my physio, as she felt that my orthopaedic mattress was too firm for a current hip problem. I went for the best depth possible for the money and have not been disappointed. It is the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on, but you do need a decent firm mattress underneath it, it won't revive an old knackered one! It also has the added advantage of providing winter warmth without feeling oppressive, so I can save on my electric blanket bills as well! One top tip...make sure you take into account the extra depth it creates on your bed and make sure you have generous sheets, I have found flat sheets better than fitted.My only problem now is forcing myself to leave bed in a morning. Well worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars dont bother, 15 Oct 2010
P. Lucas "GRUNT 1" (OLDHAM ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
this item is lowest possible density to qualify as memory foam well short of the normally accepted density as for the cover it is neither fitted or realistically washable as its basically a polyethylene sheet flocked on one side with a flimsy gauze side curtain to fit over your combined mattress-in short steer well clear of this item .

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant at the start, but........., 29 Sep 2009
When i first purchased this, it was absolutely fantastic. It did everything they said it would. Supported beautifully. Great, no more sore shoulders and hips. After 7 months it has lost its memory and support properties and is now just like a cheap piece of foam. No where near as comfortable. Disappointed. Don't want to have to spend 60-70 every 7 months to have a good comfortable sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! I love sleeping on memory foam!, 14 Aug 2008
I bought this product because I have a bad back and I thought this might help. I now find that I love sleeping on memory foam! I just wish I'd spalshed out sooner!

I wanted the full 3in depth, but I'd have been happy with slightly less depth (which would've been cheaper) because my bed is really hard and so I am well supported anyway.

What I'm saying is that I was hung up on not having less than 3in, but really that's not such a big deal - so long as your bed is firm.

It does take a bit of getting used to, in terms of sleeping, but I love it more each night. Besides, I'd made up my mind I wanted memory foam, and this was the best deal that I could find on the internet (especially for 3in depth). Take the plunge, but if you have a bad back then you MUST have a firm mattress or futon beneath or else you're wasting your time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars memory foam topper, 24 Feb 2009
G. Davis "Remote Hogger" (wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
Research suggests that most people with a back problem do not need a hard bed. Hard beds allow the spine to sag. I have lived with acute back pain for twenty years and have tried many types of bed with varying degrees of hardness. Three years ago I bought a 6cm thick memory foam topper which I have on a medium pocket sprung mattress. It is by far the most comfortable combination for me. I would recommend a foam topper to anyone wishing a good nights sleep, but would add that on a hot summer night toppers can make you uncomfortably warm. "Hot summer night, what's that?" I hear you ask. Well, we can all dream, can't we?

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a new bed!, 8 Nov 2008
M. Peapell - See all my reviews
We bought one of these because our matress was showing it's age (although it's only five years old!).

Now it's like a new bed! It's wonderful and so comfy and severely reduces movement in the bed when one or the other moves (assuming two in the bed). Which is a positive!

It does take a little getting used to... but it's very comfortable, and seems to hold the warmth too.

You have to get one! Stick with superior products though!

3.0 out of 5 stars This is one hot item, 2 Mar 2009
I am not joking. This item really is too hot at night times. You will need to seriously reduce the tog count on your quilt if you want to feel comfortable. I have already had to move down from 13 to 10.5 and its still too hot. I hate to imagine what it will be like in the summer.

Another problem is that it does have a tendency to overhang the underlying mattress after a night or two. And finally as far as the comfort goes, its not all that. I was expecting memory foam to be amazing given all the rave reviews but if you are heavy like me (14st 7lb) then even 3 inches doesn't quite cut it.