Format: Audio CDChange

on 27 October 2008
Somehow although the likes of Justice and MGMT have brought the world of electronica into the mainstream, Midnight Juggernauts have currently not received the same media adulation. However musically this album is every bit as accomplished as the above acts, with several magnificent tracks and no filler.

In its epic sweep, pounding beats and smooth vocals it has more than a little in common with Justice's Cross, but whereas that veers between various guest vocalists and collaborations, Dystopia is all their own work, producing a consistent sound that Rolling Stone summed up as "David Bowie if his Berlin Trilogy was a collaboration with Kraftwerk and Faust."

This is alternately haunting and thrilling music and one of the standout albums of the year.
on 29 May 2008
This is the album that the Klaxons should have made/wanted to make. Think Justice, Daft Punk, and some 70s rock. Swishing swooshing synths, crashing drums, and loads of epic goodness and your about there. About to crack the UK, catch them at Glasto et al.
on 9 July 2008
This a really enjoyable journey into space, rock-inspired electronic music. The Midnight Juggernauts seem to pick very questful chord progressions which make each track a memorable experience.
on 3 July 2014
I'm not a great music critic, so my review will be a much more 'uneducated' one.

I first heard this album after an Australian friend of mine played 'Into the Galaxy' to me. I rather enjoyed it, but never went on to listen to the rest of the album. About a year later I finally bought it, and boy am I glad I did! Dystopia is an amazing set of tracks. I wouldn't know what genre to classify it as, as the first half of the album has quite a different tone to the second half. But it's all definitely dystopian, yet composed such that a great positive atmosphere is maintained throughout; you'll very much enjoy listening to this whole album if you are a fan of synthesised music. A spacey theme is carried through the album and it is opened and closed wonderfully.

As you can tell I'm not adept at writing music reviews. But yeah, if you're in a position of 'To buy or not to buy?', I can assure you that this is definitely worth buying.
on 11 April 2015
Australian 3-piece first came to my attention when I found a brand new copy of "UV" in a local indie record store, and risked it after hearing some samples. They have recorded 3 albums so far and each has a different take on electro-pop/rock combination - which shows they are still developing (but may slightly frustrate those who prefer one album's style to the others).

This debut is quite sparse, and a few tracks do sound like demos, but after a few listens I am now hooked. "Shadows", "So Many Frequencies" and "Worlds Converged" are some of my personal favourites, but the whole album works very well, with the Dystopian theme present throughout. Quite trippy in places, with a variety of vocal delivery styles and some interesting harmonies/key-changes, this album is a real find.
on 9 May 2010
There's quite a few bits and pieces combined to describe Dystopia. There's a little indie, a little rock, some electronica and even a little Daft Punk-esque dance.

Either way this is a fantastic album. Each track seems catchier than the next, a really funky, exciting, vibrant collection of great tunes.

I've run out of cliches now, but I can strongly advise you buy this CD- it's absolutely fantastic. A five star album, no question.
on 13 February 2013
As other reviewers have mentioned, this is very Bowie-esque and a wonderful slice of synth-pop with a rock feel. I have never had the privilege of seeing them live but I certainly wouldn't mind.

They reign from Melbourne Australia and what a wonderful export they are. Certainly deserve higher acclaim over here in the UK - perhaps many people just don't know a good thing when they hear it.
on 8 May 2010
I wasn't sure when I first played it, but it's really grown on me. Good to play when you want something a bit more mellow to chill to. A band I'll be keeping an eye on.
on 25 July 2008

This one's a sleeper folks, and if there's any justice in the music world, these guys are going to hit the big time when people at large catch on to how amazingly good these guys really are.

As for their style, nothing I say here could possibly do it justice, though clearly electropop groups such as Daft Punk are their main influences, though they're not averse to throwing in a little acoustic indie in there as well. They have truly made their individual stamp on the music they make, and the space age quality of tracks like "Into the Galaxy" and "Scorpius" makes me want to hop into a rocket and go into orbit every time I listen to it!

I have it on good authority that they are at their most awesome during live festival gigs (I'm seeing them at Get Loaded in the Park, a London gig, next August), so if you find out they're in town, my equitable advice is to beg, borrow or steal (should your ethics stoop so low) to see them.

Without doubt, this is for me the best album of the year so far.
on 5 June 2008
The 'juggers blow me away EVERYTIME. I had this lp on import from last year, and it still raises the hairs on the back of my neck. Think ELO meets Daft Punk at a INXS concert.