5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 26 Sep 2010
I. M. J. Mair - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Heart Alone - Favourite Operetta Arias (Audio CD)
This recording has an intriguing selection of Arias and Duets, sung by two superb artistes, a mezzo-soprano and a baritone. The male vocal is a rather refreshing change from the common reliability of a tenor representing opera and operetta. There is an appropriate choice encompassing some lesser-known operettas in addition to some more popular songs, although it is perhaps surprising how often the melody rings a bell of faint familiarity.
This is a balanced selection worthy of repeated listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy listening, 6 Feb 2009
C. Palfrey "Cherry Palfrey" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Heart Alone - Favourite Operetta Arias (Audio CD)
Two famous opera singers have adapted brilliantly to the operetta genre. Simon Keenlyside is an outstanding baritone/actor, always bringing an extra dimension to his roles. He can sing anything from Monteverdi to Thomas Ades, taking in Mozart, Ambroise Thomas and Richard Strauss on the way. Now he becomes every woman's favourite romantic serenader.
Angelika Kirchschlager is a more recent arrival on the scene but has already established herself as a top-rank mezzo. I saw her recently at the Royal Opera House as Hansel in "Hansel and Gretel" and am sure she enjoyed the chance to be the beloved on this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect escapism and romanticism, 3 Dec 2010
This review is from: My Heart Alone - Favourite Operetta Arias (Audio CD)
I bought this absolutely delightful CD because over the last 12 months I have become a devoted fan of Simon Keenlyside. I can't get enough of his voice - it's true, melodic, resonant... I could go on and on. These songs are beautifully delivered by two highly accomplished singers - both Simon Keenlyside and Angelika Kirschshlager are excellent, adding just the right touch of romance and humour. You will be whisked away to the wonderfully nostalgic world of operetta and you may even find yourself waltzing around your sitting room to this CD - with a firm grip on your partner and (with any luck) your glass of champagne!

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated operetta favourites for a more sober modern age, 8 Mar 2013
Ralph Moore "Ralph operaphile" (Bishop's Stortford, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Heart Alone - Favourite Operetta Arias (Audio CD)
Simon Keenlyside has one of the most sheerly beautiful baritones on the circuit today and his versatility is a marvel: he can sing most anything from Baroque to heavy Verdi roles such as "Macbeth". Here he lightens his tone and exploits his striking upper extension to partner Austrian mezzo-soprano in his wholly idiomatic German.

Kirchschlager has a warm, attractive voice which matches Keenlyside's well - as long as you can accept the downward transpositions which inevitably rob the music of a certain sparkle. My feeling is that these lovely songs lack something of the Schwung I hear in the myriad EMI operetta recordings from the 50's and 60's; the whole charm thing sounds a tad applied rather than effortlessly and exuberantly idiomatic - there just isn't the release that I hear in Wunderlich and Gueden's versions.

The selection is a judicious compilation of favourites and slightly more obscure numbers. The result tends to be soothing and soporific; we are not entirely safe from the Classic FM ideal of "Music to Chillax you" but it's churlish to cavil. I just wish there were a pinch of chilli in the mix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 31 July 2011
This review is from: My Heart Alone - Favourite Operetta Arias (Audio CD)
This cd is wonderful, I can't listen to it often enough, it gives me a warm glow and sets me humming. The voices (mezzo soprano and baritone, a beautiful combination) are lovely, blended to perfection like a champagne cocktail and Simon Keenlyside's German is beautifully pronounced. Angelika Kirschlager would, of course, not have to think about this. She is a delight to listen to, as is he. It's quite rare to find a cd like this one where you can understand every word they sing yet they do this without sounding like a vocal exercise but give each aria its individual mood. Perfection indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 19 Sep 2013
John S. Shaw (Heysham Lancs England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Heart Alone (MP3 Download)
Enjoyable duets and solo memories of operetta. Simon Keenlyside makes the collection just perfect with such a wonderful voice.Just had to buy the whole collection. More please.

My Heart Alone - Favourite Operetta Arias
My Heart Alone - Favourite Operetta Arias by Angelika Kirchschlager (Audio CD - 2008)