4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but allow 1-3 days for assembly
Published 4 days ago by Wayne A.

3.0 out of 5 stars hedstrom wavy slide
I have just purchased the hedstrom wavy slide for £57.99, for my daughters first birthday, i found this slide to be of best value.

Published on 7 July 2011 by Kerri

3.0 out of 5 stars hedstrom wavy slide, 7 July 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Hedstrom Wavy Slide (Toy)

My husband is a joiner by trade and is very compatent at putting things together, but he was nearly beaten by this slide, the instuctions are not very clear, and the screws all look the same but there is a 3ml difference in them so be warned. only buy this slide if you have a lot of patients. it took my husband nearly 5 hours to put together.

Having said that after finally putting it together it is one sturdy strong slide, It's just ashame they put a wave in them,it would be far better if it was just straight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but allow 1-3 days for assembly, 21 Nov 2014
This review is from: Hedstrom Wavy Slide (Toy)
Needed a slide for my toddler's birthday and this looked exactly the thing. After reading the reviews I had scoffed at how difficult a slide could be to put together. After all, I was a seasoned veteran of kids bikes, swings and trampolines, not to mention the various years of assembling IKEA and flat pack furniture as part of a secret Government funded Black Ops team - a mere slide would offer no resistance!

All started well, the parts were checked off and seemed of good quality:
Large very bright orange plastic slide parts - check
Assorted metal and plastic parts that look vaguely similar to the photo - check
Large bag of assorted nuts/bolts/screws/etc. - check
Instruction leaflet - check

As per the previous reviews I had made sure to examine and separate the assorted bag of bolts/screws/etc. carefully to their sizes to avoid similar pitfalls as others. I then spent the first half an hour learning both Sumerian and Egyptian hieroglyphics in order to try to understand the instructions, consisting of purely drawings with no text - no doubt to make them easily and universally readable by anyone, with the exception of anybody that bothered to live on planet Earth.

After about another hour just to get the 2 main pieces of the slide together properly, my loving partner appeared and tried to assist with helpful comments such as 'Are you still not done yet?' and 'Can you stop swearing so loudly as the kids can hear you'. I politely refused her offers of help, I had a job to do and come hell and high water I was going to finish it.

The remainder of the metal supports and steps came together slowly during an A-Team 1980's style montage of checking, then re-checking the instructions, trying what I thought was right, cursing, then re-checking the instructions again. It eventually began to take shape and look similar to the photo, and as the montage music came to an end I tightened the final bolt and stood back to admire the results of what had been the most difficult and infuriating self-assembly project I had ever tackled, my fingers scratched and numb from the herculean effort, but I had emerged victorious...

The slide is good and sturdy for my toddler, and has weathered well so far being outside all the time. It's bright orange colour helps scare off wildlife from the garden, and should you lose your children during deep snowfalls am sure it can be used as a beacon to help guide themselves to safety.

Update:
After a few weeks of nightmares reliving the horror of assembling this and eventually seeking professional help, I now only suffer the occasional flashback to that terrible, dark and helpless time - but I find that it's nothing that curling up in the corner and crying for an hour or so can't sort out, so I'm taking that as a positive sign that things are on the up.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm giving this 5 stars as it's such a great value item, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Hedstrom Wavy Slide (Toy)
I'm giving this 5 stars as it's such a great value item. I got it for £32 with free delivery and for that price it's an absolutely excellent item. As other reviewers suggest it is quite difficult to put together and you really do need to sort the screws, bolts, etc out first and keep them in a clear order as you work, even though that requires going through the whole book as there is no index of these parts at the beginning of the instructions. The instructions could also do with being a bit more detailed as small omissions such as the direction to put in a nut and bolt can mean having to re-do some sections. Lastly, if possible, use a proper, long-handled, allen key and spanner, I can't imagine how frustrating it would have been to assemble using the provided tools.

But all that aside, once it's assembled it's well worth the money. My 21 month old loves it and should get several years of enjoyment out of it. The slide actually looks much bigger in real life than it does in the above photograph. The chute is 6ft long and compared to similarly priced toddler slides, this is just so much more enjoyable and we will get much more mileage from it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I ignored the earlier reviews about how difficult this was ..., 22 July 2014
This review is from: Hedstrom Wavy Slide (Toy)
I ignored the earlier reviews about how difficult this was to put together, and learned the hard way that it was true!! Absolute nightmare, instructions not clear enough, had to disassemble and reassemble several times in order to get some sections correct, and the room for using tools is severely restricted. Having said all that, now that it is finally put together correctly, our 3 year old Grandaughter loves it, so worth the effort snd frustrations!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Slide, 10 Sep 2011
This review is from: Hedstrom Wavy Slide (Toy)
I bought this slide for my granddaughter's 4th birthday and she loves it. Strangley enough so does our pet rabbit!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, eventually., 17 May 2012
This review is from: Hedstrom Wavy Slide (Toy)
To build this slide you need:
4 arms
2 midget hands
2 giant hands
a back of steel
the patience of a saint
and of course the ability to read the designers mind...

5.0 out of 5 stars Should last for years, 2 Oct 2014
This review is from: Hedstrom Wavy Slide (Toy)
This is a great sturdy slide and has so far survived a summer of children (ages 2-7) and 1 Grandad(!) playing on it.
The metal 'frame' is navy blue in colour, and the 'T' shaped base is not as thin as it looks on the photo (about 2cm). The rest of the metal work is thicker about 2.5cm.
It did take a good while to put up as there are some very tricky nuts and bolts to tighten underneath the slide, but it's so sturdy compared to some it's well worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 13 July 2014
Mr. Michael Merreywether (Weston super Mare) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hedstrom Wavy Slide (Toy)
The instructions were not clear and assembly was a nightmare. It took me nearly four hours to complete

2.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare to build, 28 Oct 2014
This review is from: Hedstrom Wavy Slide (Toy)
Slide itself is great! However the instructions were awful and putting it together was a nightmare took hours,we are experts at building flat packed furniture etc, but this design waa awful. The bolts needed tightening in the smallest gap took about 30 mins to do up each bolt as you only had space to turn it quarter of a turn eat time.Shame as slide is good wouldn't recommend to friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars I got this slide at an absolute bargain price and ..., 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Hedstrom Wavy Slide (Toy)
I got this slide at an absolute bargain price and unfortunately didn't read the reviews about how difficult assembly would be. This has taken 2 of us over 4 hours. The instructions are far from clear, the difference in bolt size is minimal. Wish I'd paid a little bit more for one that didn't take half the time to assemble

Hedstrom Wavy Slide