5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely magical!
Published on 29 May 2008 by Ehlovere

3.0 out of 5 stars good to watch at the cinima
I did like the film but the water hores should of been a bit bigger then it would bemore exiting.I saw it at my freinds house after I went to the cinima to watch it aswell.It is good from age 7 to 20 is you are older it might be boring.If you are not yet it might be comfusing.
Published on 15 Jun 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely magical!, 29 May 2008
I saw this wonderful movie at the cinema and loved it - I will definitely be grabbing a copy when it comes out on dvd. Set in the time of WW2 it's the tale of a young boy who finds an egg which hatches into a strange little beast known as a water horse - the boy then has to find ways to hide the endearing and curious creature from not only his family but the army who are using their house as a temporary base. The relationship between the boy and his rapidly growing nautical friend is heart warming, and the uncertainty of the beast's future will have you biting your nails. The waterhorse is so realistically animated you do forget that he's not real. And the climax of the film almost had me in tears. This is perfect family viewing that can be watched again and again, I would highly recommend it to both adults and children - a really lovely tale of friendship between man and beast that you can become completely absorbed in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for kids, parents and big softies!, 24 Jun 2008
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The Water Horse is based in Scotland, and more specifically, the area around Loch Ness. One day, lonely little boy Angus is searching for shells and things by the shore of the Loch, when he discovers what looks like a big egg-shaped rock. On closer investigation, he finds it is in fact an egg. Called away suddenly, he leaves the egg in his father's workshop, and races off. The next time he comes back, he discovers the egg has hatched. On hunting high and low for what came out of the egg, Angus is confronted by a strange little creature. They quickly become friends. But as the creature grows enormously each time it eats, Angus finds it very difficult to keep his not-so-little friend a secret. Soon other people are enlisted to help keep Angus' secret and protect the well-being of the creature, which they've now identified as what they believed was a fictional creature. However, as the water horse, Crusoe, grows and grows... so does the amount of trouble he causes!

I don't want to say too much because I'll give the game away, but this is a lovely film. I haven't read the book, but it's now on my hit list. It's a very touching story about a lonely little boy refusing to acknowledge his father has been killed in military service during World War II, and he throws himself into other pursuits to forget his loss. He's a sad little boy missing his daddy. His friendship with Crusoe is the perfect distraction, and the interaction between the two brought a tear to my eye more than once.

Overall, this is a fantastic, and somewhat underappreciated film. It didn't make much of a splash (pardon the pun) at cinemas from what I gather, but I think it may do better on DVD as word gets out. This is a perfect family film, as parents will love it as much as kids, and also you'll love it if you're a big softie like me!! Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 May 2009
S. Morris (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is one of those heart warming wonderful films that can be enjoyed by both children and adults alike.

I will not go into the synopsis of the movie as you will find it on this page. However, if you are someone who is thinking of purchasing this title and have a Blu ray player then this transfer is superb. In fact, this was one of the first Blu ray titles I bought shortly after receiving my Blu ray player. The opening scenes depicting the Scottish countryside are absolutely crystal clear. We even noticed that during a scene where we see the hands of a fisherman we could see the hairs on them!

Audio is also fantastic, with amazing depth and clarity and deliver punchy performance during action sequences. The CGI work in this movie is also first rate and is shown off to great effect in this Blu ray transfer.

I can recommend this title without reservation and for the price it's a must-buy for your Blu ray collection.

Simply wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best films of 2008, 9 July 2008
Chantal Lyons (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It's such a shame that this film didn't receive the recognition and media attention it deserves. It's a film that caters for all ages, at the same time amusing, heart-lifting and sombre. The special effects are absolutely fantastic, and that's saying something given all the special effects floating around the film industry nowadays. Crusoe the Water Horse looks more life-like than any other CGI creature I've seen on screen. This is a film with great re-watchability, and I recommend it to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars DELIGHTFUL NESSIE TALE., 16 Aug 2009
what a fantastic film for children or anybody with an interest in the nessie myth , we really enjoyed this film and it even kept my niece quiet and that takes a very decent film to achieve that task.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE WATER HORSE COULD BECOME A LEGEND!!, 26 Jun 2009
Jason Thorne (England / Oxford) - See all my reviews
A top draw film for the young ones in your family and adults come to that it was brillant. My two little girls did not move from start to finish with this loveable monster from the deep. The blu ray version is crystal clear and the scenery has to been seen very very impressive and a must for your collection which I think can be watched over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thumbs up!!!, 11 April 2009
Me and my son have been meaning to watch this film for ages and finally managed to watch it the other day. I can safely conclude that it was worth the wait as we both thoroughly enjoyed it from begining to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Mar 2009
Mr. Nigel Gill (Keynsham nr Bath) - See all my reviews
This in my humble opinion is just about the perfect film for a cold wet Sunday afternoon sat by the fire with the kids. We have watched it 3 times since xmas and enjoyed it just as much each time. It has everything that a good family film should have, plenty of adventure and humour and action.
Can't recomend this film highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful family viewing, 23 Nov 2008
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A lovely, enchanting story. Little Angus MacMorrow is spending an afternoon collecting seashells on the edge of the loch when he finds a strange egg shaped rock which he takes home in his bucket along with his shells. In his fathers workshop the rock hatches into a little water horse, a rare Celtic mythical creature of which there can only be one in the world at any one time.

Set during World War II, Angus lives with his sister and mother who is housekeeper at a grand house that has been taken over by the Artillary who have set up post along the loch guarding against enemy submarines.

The scenery is breathtaking and the story has something for everyone. There's laughs, tears, goodies and baddies - something for all the family.

The perfect DVD for a cold, wet, winters afternoon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loch Ness Monster alive, 28 Feb 2010
A beautiful and moving story about the monster of Loch Ness, set in beautiful Scotland during the war.Amazing computergraphics, not just for children.
It is quite action packed, so I would recommend it for older children.

Mein Freund, der Wasserdrache
Mein Freund, der Wasserdrache by Robert Nelson Jacobs (UMD Mini for PSP)
Used & New from: 14.72