5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic equipment

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak microphone jack - and uses batteries very quickly
Published on 10 July 2011 by SussexBirder

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic equipment, 8 Dec 2009
S. KIRKWOOD (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edirol R-09HR 24bit 96kHz Wave/MP3 Recorder with 1x4gb SDHC Cards (Office Product)
Needing something to replace a mini-disc, I have found this equipment to be perfect. I use it to record tunes and songs I want to learn - using MP3. I can then just use the card to transfer to PC. Using other software I can then edit out the bits I do not need (e.g. false starts) and then transfer the renamed MP3 file back again to carry to the next event. I recommend it. The quality is excellent for my purposes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Edirol RO9 HR, 2 April 2009
Peter Wintle (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a crackin' piece of kit. I have some much more expensive recording equipment but this gives the best results of any solid state recording device I've used. Clarity and reproduction is superb and microphone sensitivity is just right for recording interviews and general speech. There's good separation between channels, too. I was concerned that I couldn't add mics with XLR connections directly to the unit but as it happens this simply hasn't been necessary, with recorded results from the built-in mics being good perfectly good enough without using external ones. My only criticism of the unit is that the display can't be switched to say lit all the time, although a simple press of the Menu button will turn on the backlight at any time. A high quality, functional piece of kit with a rather sexy feel to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, easy to use, sounds great!, 28 Mar 2009
Captain Spaulding (Carlisle, Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
I've found this perfect for two things:

A songwriting tool;
A live recorder (rehearsals, gigs).

The sound quality is excellent, the manual great (lots of examples of how to use it in different scenarios) and it looks pretty nifty too.

A good buy, no doubt.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak microphone jack - and uses batteries very quickly, 10 July 2011
I've owned three Edirol R-09 recorders. Two of the older models and this new one. I use them for recording bird voices in the field. Overall they could be great machines for this purpose, BUT the input jack for the microphone has now stopped functioning on two of my three machines. The first worked for about a year before malfunctioning, and the second (the latest model) for only three months. I have tested all the equipment and it is definately the jack that is the problem. The machines still record but with a horrible continuous buzz (if this happens to you you can record through the headphone jack instead...) And this also happened to one of my friends who owns the R-09. So they are perhaps not as hardy as they could be and I'm very disappointed. It's not that they are treated roughly, rather that the jack is not solid enough for use whilst moving....designed more for use in the studio or home perhaps...

Another problem is that the plastic casing on two different machines has started to buckle as if it was not stuck down with good adhesive....

The final problem with the R-09 that I can tell you about is that it uses batteries much faster than it should do....perhaps powering the little red light on the top drains the battery when recording (and what is it for anyway?). I was recently in the field with a friend who has the R-05. His machine lasted twice as long as my R-09 on the same batteries.

Also be warned that if you try to record with this machine plugged into a power supply rather than using batteries you may get a quiet buzzing in the background...

good luck - my advice is not to buy this expensive machine but to go for the R-05.