4.0 out of 5 stars York 5Kg Cast Iron Discs
Just received the 4x5kg cast iron discs to replace my vinyl stock of the same weight category, at first glance I was impressed as they are exactly as described and are suitable for the 1 inch diametre, 14inch long spinlock York dumbell bars I had already.
Published on 11 Dec 2009 by Dave J.

2.0 out of 5 stars The coating is an issue
As far as the description is concerned the item is OK. It feels like it weighs what it is rated at, and it is quite slim, so can pack lots on the bar.

Published 17 months ago by Gus

4.0 out of 5 stars York 5Kg Cast Iron Discs, 11 Dec 2009
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
They come in a box of four 5kg discs which gave the local postman a slight shock as he went to lift them out of the van and apart from this each is cast with the weight and York logo clearly visible on each side of the disc.
Being thinner than my vinyl weights allows you to stack more weight on each dumbell bar which is an obvious advantage and the reason for the purchase.
I've deducted one star as the black paint is slightly powdery and rubs off on the hands when first using the discs, however a good rub of a damp cloth and this problem is easily solved. Overall very good quality product but make sure your aware your bars diameter size prior to ordering, i.e. standard=1inch olympic=2inches!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 29 Dec 2010
Dave (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
I bought the 4 x 5kg weights to add to my 20kg York dumbell set bought from Amazon. Just before paying £30 for them on Amazon, however, I checked Argos and found they were available for just under £25. Turns out they've both gone out of stock today so I'm made up I took the plunge and bought them!

It's worth pointing out that the discs do look different to the product picture here (not sure if it's just the lighting though). They are identical in finish to the discs in the afforementioned 20kg York dumbell set. Basically matte black with a slightly rough surface. A small amount of powder-esque substance rubs off at first but a damp cloth will sort this. "York" and "5kg" are cast onto both sides. In my opinion they look pretty tidy as they compliment the chrome dumbell bars I use.

The thickness of the discs is the same as that of the 2.5kg variants: ~ 27mm. I can fit 3 x 5kg discs onto each end of the dumbell with the spinlocks secured. In case you want to know, the diameter of the discs is roughly 190mm. Seems they've manufactured them with a good balance between thickness and diameter. Considering they're made of cast iron, you can slap on a hefty amount of weight without them being overly massive like an equivalent sand-filled disc.

Mine came in a deceptively small cardboard box, which gave the guy at the counter in Argos a shock as he nearly keeled over right in front of me!

Think that covers it; any questions feel free to ask.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 4 Sep 2009
I wanted 4x 5kg lumps of metal to go on my dumbells and thats exactly what I got. Fab stuff.

2.0 out of 5 stars The coating is an issue, 24 April 2013

However! and this is something that I have experienced with an other pack of york weights (2x10kg): the discs are coated with some sort of blackish oil that smells terrible. After loading a bar with weights my hands smell like I came from a garage cleaning the insides of diesel engines with my bare fingers all day. It takes about 2-3 washes to get rid of the smell.

I believe that if I washed this off the weights they would start to corrode, but at one point I will not care anymore and just let rust do its job.

Also there are black enamel like chips falling off of the weights after every use. I thought that this will stop after some use but no, even after having the discs for 3 months now the floor is full of black dust after a workout.

too bad

4.0 out of 5 stars What did you expect from 5kg discs?, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
I read a lot of people complaining about the quality of the discs and would understand if they came with a hole that was too small or at an angle but mine are fine. Yes the paint comes off and yes they could have been separated in the box so they hadn't rubbed, but seriously they're weightlifting discs! All my discs are rubbed and chipped away, that's because I use them regularly and change the weights as I'm working out.

Overall I'm very pleased with them and they are doing the job, not sure if more expensive and perhaps shiny weights would make any difference other than in my pocket. Need heavier weights for your workout? Buy these!

4.0 out of 5 stars Postman got a hernia!, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
Four Chinese made, cast iron, black, powder coated 7.5kg weights, one inch bar diameter.

I bought these to replace a horrid concrete/vinyl York dumbbell set, plus a gain a useful bar weight increase from 17kg to 30kg.

The weights needed a wipe over to shift the residual black, a month on and no sign of any rust.

Poor postman, a 30kg box, looks deceptively light! He was ever so happy that I was working from home that day :)

Loses a star as the price has increased significantly since I purchased this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great plates, 21 April 2009
P. Chandler "P" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
Great plates and free delivery(by SuperSaver) as previously stated.
They are usefull for adding more weight as you progress to the 20kg dumbbells.

5.0 out of 5 stars York Weights - Perfect, 8 Mar 2013
M. Oakley (EU) - See all my reviews
They are York weights and they weigh 5kg each.
They fit my York bars perfectly.
I am pleased with these weighty weights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 6 Jan 2013
They're metal, heavy, round and fit a 1" bar.

If these are not your requirements then you will be entirely disappointed with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 3 Aug 2009
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
Received the weights, they were left down at my mail box, which was not a problem but the box was split and the plastic strip to hold them all together and tight was broke, so in other words could be more securely packaged. Like another reviewer said they do have a strange smell but I am sure that will go in time, well woth the money though compared to what Gold's gym discs cost! YORK is an old trusted name as far as I am concerened, every weight lifting disc, bench etc I had growing up were YORK (cement filled!!!!!)

York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4