4.0 out of 5 stars York 5Kg Cast Iron Discs
Just received the 4x5kg cast iron discs to replace my vinyl stock of the same weight category, at first glance I was impressed as they are exactly as described and are suitable for the 1 inch diametre, 14inch long spinlock York dumbell bars I had already.
Published on 11 Dec 2009 by Dave J.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but start to look worn pretty quickly
I've brought these in 5, 7.5. 10 and 20kg sizes and they all have had the same problem. The paint starts to wear away after the first use. Got some 7.5's recently and after 3 workouts they look like i've had them years. For the price they charge you, you would think they could use paint that would stay on a bit longer. Other than that had no problems with warping or rust...
Published on 23 Jun 2012 by And01

4.0 out of 5 stars York 5Kg Cast Iron Discs, 11 Dec 2009
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
They come in a box of four 5kg discs which gave the local postman a slight shock as he went to lift them out of the van and apart from this each is cast with the weight and York logo clearly visible on each side of the disc.
Being thinner than my vinyl weights allows you to stack more weight on each dumbell bar which is an obvious advantage and the reason for the purchase.
I've deducted one star as the black paint is slightly powdery and rubs off on the hands when first using the discs, however a good rub of a damp cloth and this problem is easily solved. Overall very good quality product but make sure your aware your bars diameter size prior to ordering, i.e. standard=1inch olympic=2inches!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 29 Dec 2010
Dave (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
I bought the 4 x 5kg weights to add to my 20kg York dumbell set bought from Amazon. Just before paying 30 for them on Amazon, however, I checked Argos and found they were available for just under 25. Turns out they've both gone out of stock today so I'm made up I took the plunge and bought them!

It's worth pointing out that the discs do look different to the product picture here (not sure if it's just the lighting though). They are identical in finish to the discs in the afforementioned 20kg York dumbell set. Basically matte black with a slightly rough surface. A small amount of powder-esque substance rubs off at first but a damp cloth will sort this. "York" and "5kg" are cast onto both sides. In my opinion they look pretty tidy as they compliment the chrome dumbell bars I use.

The thickness of the discs is the same as that of the 2.5kg variants: ~ 27mm. I can fit 3 x 5kg discs onto each end of the dumbell with the spinlocks secured. In case you want to know, the diameter of the discs is roughly 190mm. Seems they've manufactured them with a good balance between thickness and diameter. Considering they're made of cast iron, you can slap on a hefty amount of weight without them being overly massive like an equivalent sand-filled disc.

Mine came in a deceptively small cardboard box, which gave the guy at the counter in Argos a shock as he nearly keeled over right in front of me!

Think that covers it; any questions feel free to ask.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 4 Sep 2009
I wanted 4x 5kg lumps of metal to go on my dumbells and thats exactly what I got. Fab stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars What did you expect from 5kg discs?, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
I read a lot of people complaining about the quality of the discs and would understand if they came with a hole that was too small or at an angle but mine are fine. Yes the paint comes off and yes they could have been separated in the box so they hadn't rubbed, but seriously they're weightlifting discs! All my discs are rubbed and chipped away, that's because I use them regularly and change the weights as I'm working out.

Overall I'm very pleased with them and they are doing the job, not sure if more expensive and perhaps shiny weights would make any difference other than in my pocket. Need heavier weights for your workout? Buy these!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great plates, 21 April 2009
P. Chandler "P" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
Great plates and free delivery(by SuperSaver) as previously stated.
They are usefull for adding more weight as you progress to the 20kg dumbbells.

4.0 out of 5 stars Postman got a hernia!, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
Four Chinese made, cast iron, black, powder coated 7.5kg weights, one inch bar diameter.

I bought these to replace a horrid concrete/vinyl York dumbbell set, plus a gain a useful bar weight increase from 17kg to 30kg.

The weights needed a wipe over to shift the residual black, a month on and no sign of any rust.

Poor postman, a 30kg box, looks deceptively light! He was ever so happy that I was working from home that day :)

Loses a star as the price has increased significantly since I purchased this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars York Weights - Perfect, 8 Mar 2013
M. Oakley (EU) - See all my reviews
They are York weights and they weigh 5kg each.
They fit my York bars perfectly.
I am pleased with these weighty weights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 6 Jan 2013
They're metal, heavy, round and fit a 1" bar.

If these are not your requirements then you will be entirely disappointed with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars What you expect, 15 Dec 2011
I originally wanted 2 10kg plates, however the price for those is ridiculous - 40.

With these you get the same weight, but half the price. This is because 4 5kg plates take up more space on the bar than 2 10kg plates.

I have a big bar so it doesn't make a difference to me...it would be a waste of money getting 2 10's.

Regarding the actual weights, they're what you expect.

There are small scratches on 2 out of the 4 plates but they don't affect anything apart from looks, which don't matter.

I accurately weighed each plate, the average is 4.9925 kg per plate which is basically 5.

Delivery was excellent. I chose the free super saver option and the weights were delivered within 2 days.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5kg plates, 3 Jan 2011
This review is from: York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 (Sports)
I have brought these, and must say they do the job pretty well.

Firstly: They don't look the best plates. However, if you are working out at home, in your garage or whatever, does that really matter?

Secondly: The finish. It chips. This is a simple annoyance, but worth being aware of.

Essentially, I like these, and will probably buy more, or the 7.5 kilo ones :D. I am not really bothered about apperance, as its only me using them.

York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4