4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall
I've had two pairs of these bars for a couple of years now; two 14 inch and two 16 inch.

Published on 3 Jun 2011 by consumer

3.0 out of 5 stars Covered in industrial anti-rust oil...
I had to put these into a bucket of hot soapy water to get rid of the horrible smelling oil that this product is coated with. It really stinks, gets on your hands and leaves you smelling a little like a mechanic. I assume the oil is there to protect against corrosion, a sealed polythene bag and some silica gel would have been far better.

As a dumbbell bar,...
Published on 20 Dec 2010 by Dr. D. M. Hunt

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: York Spinlock Dumbbell Bar (Sports)

For the 14 inch, the length of the part you put the weights onto is 4.2 inches/ 10.5 cm. For the 16 inch, this length is 5 inches/ 12.7cm (the spinlock bit takes up about 2cm of this space). I guess these measurements might vary slightly, but it gives you an idea of how many weights you can fit on. The diameter of all the bars is around 1 inch.

They are pretty strong. I am not sure what the maximum weight they can hold is, but on the 16 inch I have used 40kg per dumbbell a number of times and they are yet to break.

The 14 inch pair had some loose metal filings attached to the part that the weights are put on, which can get stuck in your skin like splinters - not very pleasant! However, there were only a few of these, and the 16 inch pair didn't have this problem; also other reviewers don't seem to mention this problem, so it might have just been my bad luck.

The handles can be a little rough on the hands; you could use some gloves if you can't bear it, but after a few uses my hands got used to it.

Overall a good product. If I hadn't had to deal with sharp metal filings on the 14 inch pair I would've given 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and safe, 20 Mar 2009
A friend of mine donated me some old weights so i needed some dumbbell bars to go with them.

I chose the 16" spinlock for 2 reasons:
-1: The spinlocks provide a very safe locking mechanism
-2: You can get more weights on the 16" than the 14" (obvious I know)

The weights I was given are old school cement filled york weights that are quite bulky for their weight. With these 16" bars you can get 2 on either side, a 14" would only fit 1. If you have cast iron or chrome weights you could probably get 3 or 4 per side (so 6 or 8 per bar).

The handles are quite rough but they've not caused me any bother (and I have soft hands)

So overall it's a good solid product that does exactly what it is supposed to. Oh and don't forget that the price is per bar (not for a pair)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kit of kit, 22 Jan 2010
Mr. Will Pearson (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Spinlock Dumbbell Bar (Sports)
I already own several sets of York bars I've accumulated over the years, but the ones in bundle packs have plastic sleeves, which cause the bar to spin when curled. This gets really annoying, especially with heavier loads.

These get around that problem quite nicely, they definately need to be used with gloves initally, but they're a lot easier to control, especially on negatives.

Only gripe is the spinlocks coming loose after each set, and the hassle of unscrewing to change weight, but that's always going to be the case with that mechanism.

3.0 out of 5 stars Covered in industrial anti-rust oil..., 20 Dec 2010

As a dumbbell bar, these are OK, about 1kg a piece, nice and solid, however, you have to wind the collars really tight for the 30/45kg to stay put, 10/15kg seems not to be a problem.

The knurled grip soon takes a few layers of skin off your hands on heavy weights, unfortunately, there is no way to fit a grip guard, a pair of gardening gloves does the trick :)

This is a single bar with two collars, just to make that clear, some people seem to be expecting two bars.

Loses one star for hellish smell, another for the grip/self undoing collars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best price for really great product, 11 July 2011
Darchaeg (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Spinlock Dumbbell Bar (Sports)
Looked everywhere for spinlock bars. I work out 3x weekly and needed a way to change weights quickly for a supersetting workout, which means I don't get any time to change my weights on a single set of dumbbell bars before going to the next set of reps. I have to move between the exercises smoothly, with no time wasted. I also did not want to spend crazy amounts of money on weights. I have a quantity of old used Weider discs and a set of spinlock dumb bells, so I bought four of these so I have three sets in total. It's easy to set the dumb bells at my preferred weights before getting started, and then get through my supersetting workout. They pack away very tidily too. I'm happy with everything about them. Solid construction, and great quality. For reference, I'm a female under 30, and these are so much better value than the cheesy purple/pink vinyl sets. I can vary my weights as I progress in my fitness levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dumbbell Bar I've Bought, 29 Dec 2009
This review is from: York Spinlock Dumbbell Bar (Sports)
Some exercises require only one dumbbell and I was very pleased to be able to buy a single bar, rather than a pair.

The handle is a bit rough, but far from causing a problem, it simply gives a better grip than the other bars which I use.

Usually, these bars seem to come with one, relatively hard, plastic washer embedded in the nut. These have a washer in the nut and another one on the bar itself. These washers are considerably softer than normal. The result is that they grip the weights much more securely than is usual, and you don't have the weight furthest from the nut spinning around during use.

I would certainly buy this product again, in preference to the other, more expensive, dumbbell bars that I have bought in the past.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 20 May 2014
First off it's a single bar and not a pair this is mentioned in a few reviews and it does say that you are buying a bar so don't make the same mistake as me.

A solid bar, I bought the 16 " so it has plenty of room for extra weights. The spin lock is good and has rubber washers to help keep the weights in place.

The delivery was very fast only a couple of days. The only down side was that the packing was not good, it was only the packing note and some plastic wrapped round the knurled handle. I realise its a metal bar and it is sturdy but all it takes is for screw thread to become damaged to make it difficulty to tighten up the spin lock, as one reviewer found.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ha !, 25 April 2012
This review is from: York Spinlock Dumbbell Bar (Sports)
It does what is says on the box, a "York Spinlock Dumbbell BAR" please note "BAR" singular, lmao, I didnt notice, so now have to order another one, Ha!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality spinlock bars, 20 April 2011
I had two sets of dumbbells and I was tired of swapping weights so two of these were perfect to make three static dumbbell sizes. They are great quality and have the rubber grommets on both sides of the weight to stop the locks coming loose. I ordered these on Saturday morning and they were on my desk at work first thing Monday morning and that was with free delivery. Very impressed indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality of product, 5 Feb 2011
On arrival appeared a very good product for the price and indeed it does the job, so far. Unfortunately the thread cutting is very poor and the lock nuts feel as though they are about to fly across the threads as you run them down the rods. They wobble about with far too much play in the threads however they do lock up when tightened so as mentioned before it does the job. Just a shame the quality of workmanship was not slightly more focussed when cutting the threads in the nuts. I hope the ability to tighten does not decline as more use is made of them. I may have been unlucky and got a Friday batch ....

York Spinlock Dumbbell Bar