4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall
I've had two pairs of these bars for a couple of years now; two 14 inch and two 16 inch.

Published on 3 Jun. 2011 by consumer

3.0 out of 5 stars Covered in industrial anti-rust oil...
I had to put these into a bucket of hot soapy water to get rid of the horrible smelling oil that this product is coated with. It really stinks, gets on your hands and leaves you smelling a little like a mechanic. I assume the oil is there to protect against corrosion, a sealed polythene bag and some silica gel would have been far better.

As a dumbbell bar,...
Published on 20 Dec. 2010 by Dr. D. M. Hunt

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, 3 Jun. 2011
This review is from: York Spinlock Dumbbell Bar (Sports)

For the 14 inch, the length of the part you put the weights onto is 4.2 inches/ 10.5 cm. For the 16 inch, this length is 5 inches/ 12.7cm (the spinlock bit takes up about 2cm of this space). I guess these measurements might vary slightly, but it gives you an idea of how many weights you can fit on. The diameter of all the bars is around 1 inch.

They are pretty strong. I am not sure what the maximum weight they can hold is, but on the 16 inch I have used 40kg per dumbbell a number of times and they are yet to break.

The 14 inch pair had some loose metal filings attached to the part that the weights are put on, which can get stuck in your skin like splinters - not very pleasant! However, there were only a few of these, and the 16 inch pair didn't have this problem; also other reviewers don't seem to mention this problem, so it might have just been my bad luck.

The handles can be a little rough on the hands; you could use some gloves if you can't bear it, but after a few uses my hands got used to it.

Overall a good product. If I hadn't had to deal with sharp metal filings on the 14 inch pair I would've given 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and safe, 20 Mar. 2009
A friend of mine donated me some old weights so i needed some dumbbell bars to go with them.

I chose the 16" spinlock for 2 reasons:
-1: The spinlocks provide a very safe locking mechanism
-2: You can get more weights on the 16" than the 14" (obvious I know)

The weights I was given are old school cement filled york weights that are quite bulky for their weight. With these 16" bars you can get 2 on either side, a 14" would only fit 1. If you have cast iron or chrome weights you could probably get 3 or 4 per side (so 6 or 8 per bar).

The handles are quite rough but they've not caused me any bother (and I have soft hands)

So overall it's a good solid product that does exactly what it is supposed to. Oh and don't forget that the price is per bar (not for a pair)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best price for really great product, 11 July 2011
Darchaeg (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Spinlock Dumbbell Bar (Sports)
Looked everywhere for spinlock bars. I work out 3x weekly and needed a way to change weights quickly for a supersetting workout, which means I don't get any time to change my weights on a single set of dumbbell bars before going to the next set of reps. I have to move between the exercises smoothly, with no time wasted. I also did not want to spend crazy amounts of money on weights. I have a quantity of old used Weider discs and a set of spinlock dumb bells, so I bought four of these so I have three sets in total. It's easy to set the dumb bells at my preferred weights before getting started, and then get through my supersetting workout. They pack away very tidily too. I'm happy with everything about them. Solid construction, and great quality. For reference, I'm a female under 30, and these are so much better value than the cheesy purple/pink vinyl sets. I can vary my weights as I progress in my fitness levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dumbbell Bar I've Bought, 29 Dec. 2009
This review is from: York Spinlock Dumbbell Bar (Sports)
Some exercises require only one dumbbell and I was very pleased to be able to buy a single bar, rather than a pair.

The handle is a bit rough, but far from causing a problem, it simply gives a better grip than the other bars which I use.

Usually, these bars seem to come with one, relatively hard, plastic washer embedded in the nut. These have a washer in the nut and another one on the bar itself. These washers are considerably softer than normal. The result is that they grip the weights much more securely than is usual, and you don't have the weight furthest from the nut spinning around during use.

I would certainly buy this product again, in preference to the other, more expensive, dumbbell bars that I have bought in the past.

3.0 out of 5 stars Covered in industrial anti-rust oil..., 20 Dec. 2010

As a dumbbell bar, these are OK, about 1kg a piece, nice and solid, however, you have to wind the collars really tight for the 30/45kg to stay put, 10/15kg seems not to be a problem.

The knurled grip soon takes a few layers of skin off your hands on heavy weights, unfortunately, there is no way to fit a grip guard, a pair of gardening gloves does the trick :)

This is a single bar with two collars, just to make that clear, some people seem to be expecting two bars.

Loses one star for hellish smell, another for the grip/self undoing collars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kit of kit, 22 Jan. 2010
Mr. Will Pearson (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Spinlock Dumbbell Bar (Sports)
I already own several sets of York bars I've accumulated over the years, but the ones in bundle packs have plastic sleeves, which cause the bar to spin when curled. This gets really annoying, especially with heavier loads.

These get around that problem quite nicely, they definately need to be used with gloves initally, but they're a lot easier to control, especially on negatives.

Only gripe is the spinlocks coming loose after each set, and the hassle of unscrewing to change weight, but that's always going to be the case with that mechanism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should - simple as that, 25 Feb. 2012
This dumbbell bar simply does what it should do. It doesn't weigh too much, it has very good grips, and has lots of rubber grips to ensure the weight plates are locked on properly, using the spinlock. You won't have any regrets in buying this make of dumbbell bar.

Unless you either, already have this make of bar, or only need the one bar, then I would suggest buying the pair of bars instead. Value wise, the pair is better, and also, the weight of dumbbell bars seem to vary by probably up to 500g which could make a big difference in your arm sizes, although I use this lighter dumbbell in my right hand so that my left hand can catch up, though it might now be stronger.

Most dumbbells are 14" which is fine for the normal person, but as soon as you start getting to 20-30kg+ weights on the bars, then a 16" bar would be much better, as it means you can safely put on more than 3 plates, and some of the heavier weight plates can be quite large.

5* out of 5*

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality of product, 5 Feb. 2011
On arrival appeared a very good product for the price and indeed it does the job, so far. Unfortunately the thread cutting is very poor and the lock nuts feel as though they are about to fly across the threads as you run them down the rods. They wobble about with far too much play in the threads however they do lock up when tightened so as mentioned before it does the job. Just a shame the quality of workmanship was not slightly more focussed when cutting the threads in the nuts. I hope the ability to tighten does not decline as more use is made of them. I may have been unlucky and got a Friday batch ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Dumbbell Bar, 1 May 2014
Will Smith "Biker Man" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Buy two of these and then add some weights from your existing set and jump from one routine to next, without having to stop to change over the weights. Well made and no grease or rough finish like some earlier reviewers mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dumbell Bars, 31 Jan. 2011
Recently I decided to dig my old York weight set out but found that a few items had gone missing including the dumbell bars.

Although certainly not the cheapest of dumbell options, these are good sturdy bars which would handle any weight plate that you decided to put on them. Good solid spinlocks secure the plates in place and rubber seals ensure that these locks do not easily unscrew.

Definately worth buying if you want durability.

York Spinlock Dumbbell Bar