4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Bar.
I purchased this bar for use in conjunction with a squat rack. This is because my current 152cm (5') was not quite long enough to fit on the squat rack, since the distance between the weight plates was not long enough.

Published on 15 Feb 2010 by Joe Bloggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh
Published 18 months ago by Wilf

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Bar., 15 Feb 2010
This review is from: York Spinlock Bar (Sports)

So I have decided to provide everyone with suitable dimensions so that they can see if the bar is the length they require for their particular application.

The bar is 105cm (41") from the inside of the lip for the weight plates to the inside lip on the alternate side; i.e. this is where you put your hands. The length of each end where you put your weights is 37.5cm (15"). The remaining 2.5cm (1") making up both lips. So will safely fit on any rack/bench with holders less than 100cm (39").

I have noticed the bar does bend a little when you put a bit of weight on it. I know it is rated up to 150kg (330lb), but when you load 80kg (176lb) on the bar, there is a slight bend. When I loaded 115kg (254lb) on it, it didn't seem to bend any more than it did for the 80kg (176lb). So I would say that it is certainly capable of holding 150kg (330lb).

People are talking about this bar hurting their hands, and wearing gloves. I can tell you that all bars will `hurt' your hands. The knurled sections are designed to provide grip, and grip means friction. Your nice soft hands are not used to handling large amounts of friction, so they `hurt' in response to this. Over time, your hands build up a thicker layer of skin to cope with the friction - calluses. This is why builders have rough skin on their hands, to better cope with friction.

Now, I do wear gloves when I work out. Mainly because I don't want calluses. But they are fingerless, like most weight training gloves, which means that your fingers will still get calluses on them. Which means they will get sore - sorry lads, there is no way around it unless you wear full gloves.

I would also like to say that the spinlocks do not come loose on my bar. The rubber ring on the inside of the spinlock prevents this from happening if you tighten the spinlock enough.

I have also weighed the bar and can confirm that it is roughly 7kg (15lb).

I hope this review was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a dumbbell, only longer, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: York Spinlock Bar (Sports)
I had very exacting requirements for this item:
1. Straight
2. Made of something strong
3. Able to hold weights
4. Metally looking

I cannot state how pleased i am to report that the item not only matches my specification but exceeds it. It is very straight. Its is made of steel, which means it is strong. You can put weights on it. As it is made of steel it looks very metally. Finally as an added bonus it is cold to the touch which feels nice when you are too hot. Not as nice as an ice cream or cold beer mind you. But they make you fat which is kind of against the point of buying a barbell. In conclusion: its like a dumbbell, only longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars chin up bar..., 18 Jun 2010
This review is from: York Spinlock Bar (Sports)
i needed a long chin up bar to use in the garage. All the actual ones i could see were not long enough for what i needed, so i tried this so far it works. I am 13st and it has no problems so far with my weight.....i know its not supposed to be used like that but it copes oh and i can use it as a barbell.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's long, it's round in profile and it's made of metal., 23 April 2012
This review is from: York Spinlock Bar (Sports)
What can be said of a weights bar?

It's a 1" diameter bar, 5 feet long. It's a spinlock, which may not appeal to some but it's more than good enough for my needs. And the threaded ends are very generous - Unless you're stuck with a load of ridiculous little weights, fitting them on the ends shouldn't be much of a drama. I have 3 x 10Kg and 1 x 5Kg weights at each and and there is plenty of room for expansion should I ever feel the need to give myself a hernia.

A couple of my buddies say the grips are a bit rough. They are clearly pansies and should get mittens, possibly decorated with pictures of flowers, or smiley faces - the big girls blouses :o) Better too rough than no grip, right?

Anyhoo, I'm happy with the bar.

And I don't feel the need for mittens...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid bar, 22 May 2009
This review is from: York Spinlock Bar (Sports)
Does exactly what its designed for. Spin lock design can be tedious if you're changing plates a lot but will work your wrists!
NOT suitable for Olympic size plates as I found out, only 1 inch diameter, don't make the same mistake I did through ignorance! I've now ordered an Olympic bar.

5.0 out of 5 stars I ordred a six foot bar and thats what i got, 10 Mar 2010
This review is from: York Spinlock Bar (Sports)
What can you say about this product? It doest exactly what it is supposed to do no frills attached. Dont get the previous comments regarding sore hands as a negative towards the bar. If your lifting anything thats heavy then it will have an impact on the hands. A good pair of gloves does the trick. All in all if your looking for a 6ft barbell for 1" discs then buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 26 Feb 2010
This review is from: York Spinlock Bar (Sports)
I have had the Spinlock bar for about a month now. I think it is an awesome product, it is extremely sturdy and heavy duty.

I would suggest you purchase this if you are new to weight training (as I was), because it is cheap and can take a large enough amount of weight that I would need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy., 15 Sep 2009
This review is from: York Spinlock Bar (Sports)
Used the bar for the first time tonight and I liked it.

I have just started to lift weights again and coming from using a set of 20kg dumbbells to using this is such a huge difference.

The bar promotes confidence when lifting and there is a lot of room for additional weights to be added, the spinlock system is fantastic. I remember my fathers weight sets having metal collars that had a screw feature to keep attached to the bar, slightly dangerous I thought, the spinlock might come loose after continued lifting but because of its nature you are not going to have weights falling off the bar in a hurry.

The grip is intended to be used with gloves, someone did complain that it is a bit abrasive and it is. I currently use BMX fingerless gloves which have padding on the palms which provides perfect grip and cushioning.

I am not at all disappointed with my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: York Spinlock Bar (Sports)
It's a 6ft long metal bar, not much to was lyrical about. Major issue is around the length of the spinlock bar-ends. They are huge. Compared to the 5ft bar used previously, the extra width on the grip is minimal and the ends are daft. Maybe useful for vinyl plates, or if you use lots of small weights but it's a waste of length which would be better used widening the grip section of the bar.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 Small Problems, 15 May 2013
This review is from: York Spinlock Bar (Sports)
Number 1: The hand grip areas are a little wider than I'd like (ref, I'm 6ft tall). Just about ok for bicep curls, no good for tricep exercises that require a narrower grip though. Bit gutted.
Number 2: I also bought 1" spring clamps to avoid using spin locks as they're annoying/time wasting and unfortunately this bar itself is 1", but the threaded ends are just less than 1" rendering the spring clamps useless. But my smaller curl bar that I bought from Tesco is 1" even on the threads (so I'm now using the clamps on those instead, annoying though).

Apart from that this bar is fine. It's heavy and weighted unlike those naff hollow ones you get from Argos. Comes with spin locks for each end of the bar as well as rubber grips for them. If the chrome effect starts to peel in the near future I'll update this review. 4 Stars.

York Spinlock Bar