Published 2 months ago by Ryan Parker

1.0 out of 5 stars The worse plates I have ever seen.
Please do not follow the reviews from most of these people that have given them 5 stars, they clearly have never lifted a weight in there lives!!!

The iron is brittle and breaks! If you want to see photos, just copy and paste this...

York Fitness (NOT York Barbell) olympic barbell plates review

...without the ' ' into google and you will...
Published on 23 July 2012 by Andy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars The worse plates I have ever seen., 23 July 2012

York Fitness (NOT York Barbell) olympic barbell plates review

...without the ' ' into google and you will find my full review.

Below is a cut n paste of an email which details most of the defects I found on mine (yorks customer service in my opinion is a joke).

Reference York Fitness Olympic Weights.

I have bought approximatly 500kgs worth of York olympic weight plates. I bought them based on Yorks good reputation, and the fact that I have had York standard weights from my early teens through to my 30s. On arrival I have been very dissapointed with the drop in quality, and lack of QC. Apart from the design and colour of the plates, I have nothing good that I can say about them.

The difference in weights of the 20s are well beyond normal tolerance levels.
The paint is so weak that the slightest knock or contact causes it to chip. (My whole gym is covered in high quality rubber matting, and even that is not enough to protect them).
The paint used on the weights appears to have been done in a very contaminated environment, as all of my 20s look like they have been sprayed over rust/dust/or flakes of metal from other parts of the manufacturing process.
The castings are so bad that in all my years as a gym user, and gym instructor, I have never seen worse. They are pitted, have sharp edges, some have bulges out of the side, and some have dips in them. Some look like they have been attacked with an angle grinder.
The outside of the plates have a camber that never allows them to sit flat on the floor when set up for deadlifts or similar. This combined with a sharp edge means that the metal on some of my plates has already chipped after minimal use of which all is on rubber mats within my home gym.
One of my plates arrived completly snapped in half. I had this refunded at the time by Watsons Gym Equipment, but it showed me just how weak the plates were and I have babied them ever since.
One of my 20kg plates is almost curved. -When it is stacked on top of another plate, you can see a big gap all the way through to the bar.
The holes are all so big that they don't sit well even on a York bar. I have 3 olympic bars from other manufacturers, aswell as a high quality Texas Power Bar, and they all have up to 5mm slack at the bottom which causes the weights to rattle all over the place even with bulldog collars.
For all the reasons above, it is my opinion that these weights are not fit for purpose.

For my full review go here: [...]

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible quality, don't waste your money., 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: York Hammertone Cast Iron Olympic Plate (Single) (Sports)
Within 2 months of purchasing 2x25kg plates, the plates started to chip away. I now have a 2 inch diameter chip out of 1 and the other is cracked. I have rubber flooring on my gym so they're not being slammed down on concrete. An incredible waste of money, would never purchase York Fitness products again.

3.0 out of 5 stars YORK 20KG OLYMPIC PLATES.. HMMM, 11 Jan. 2013
This review is from: York Hammertone Cast Iron Olympic Plate (Single) (Sports)
I ordered two of these plates to add to part of my gym equipment, being reasonably priced and york branded. I gave them a chance.

The workmanship of this product is really quite poor, although in pictures they look great the finish is far from smooth. Paint is crappy and they do not fit flush next to each other.The loading holes are slightly to wide which means you have to use clips to keep the weights from moving.

Having said this they weigh pretty close to 20kg and both plates have the same weight reading.

Although there are some issues with this product it's still fit for purpose.

1.0 out of 5 stars POOR PRODUCT, 12 Dec. 2012
Weight plates chipped, in no way do they look like the photographs displayed. The name York is not displayed on any part of the plate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid Avoid Avoid, 13 Nov. 2012
This review is from: York Hammertone Cast Iron Olympic Plate (Single) (Sports)
Hole is far to wide, the quality of the plates is aweful, pay more and get better plates.
I will be buying different ones straight away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Honestly cannot understand why these plates have gotten such bad reviews, I have the plates in various weights ..., 22 Jan. 2015
This review is from: York Hammertone Cast Iron Olympic Plate (Single) (Sports)
Honestly cannot understand why these plates have gotten such bad reviews, I have the plates in various weights and I have never had a problem with them, how other reviewers managed to crack them is beyond me as I've used them for about 4 months and have certainly not always been kind to them and I don't have any chips whatsoever. Another thing is they cost a fraction of what higher end plates do so other reviewers comparing them to plates which would cost well over twice as much is completely unfair.

I cannot recommend them if you're going to be using them for oly lifts unless using as bumpers, however for anything else they're absolutely fine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fair quality but could be better, 15 Aug. 2013
Martin Forbes (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Hammertone Cast Iron Olympic Plate (Single) (Sports)
The quality if the weight plate itself is off fair quality but the main fail that I found was that the central hole for the barbell is 3.5' in diameter whereas my barbell is just under 1". My work-around for this is by using a locking collar tight against the end of the spindle thread, inserting the weight plate then attaching ANOTHER locking collar to secure it to the bar itself! This maybe a small problem for some but there is a way around it however. The packaging was all smashed and dented, however with 10Kg weight inside what do you expect, the seal was intact and thankfully the box hadn't ripped at the edges or things might've been different.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible quality. Purchased 8 x 20kg plates, 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: York Hammertone Cast Iron Olympic Plate (Single) (Sports)
Terrible quality. Purchased 8 x 20kg plates. Weighed on multiple accurate scales and not a single one actually weighs 20kg; the highest around 19.7kg and the lowest 18.3kg so more like they're made with a tolerance around 19kg making what should be 180kg just over 170kg instead. Other than that they are just poorly manufactured with lumps of what appears to be the cast material falling off in places and paint too. Would not recommend to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 11 July 2014
Tony Ross - See all my reviews
Ordered 1.25kg and 5kg plates. Appearance is pitted and rough, coating is good but doesn't cover imperfections. If the quality is the same for the 20kg I wouldn't trust them, they look like they'd chip and crack if contacting the floor during a deadlift. But they're cheap, and as these light weights aren't going to hit anything I think they'll do just fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Item image incorrect!!, 22 July 2013
This review is from: York Hammertone Cast Iron Olympic Plate (Single) (Sports)
I've used the York plates as pictured in the item description in commercial gyms which is why a brought them, but when they arrived they were not as pictured and were poorly manufactured!! Very disappointed!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

York Hammertone Cast Iron Olympic Plate (Single)
£4.99 - £43.80