4.0 out of 5 stars good for the price
Published on 24 Jun. 2011 by SCI-FI

3.0 out of 5 stars Room for improvements
Good product but easy room for improvements!

This is much thicker and better than the cheap £2 one I bought to begin with. The 2 inch thick pad provides support for your back/shoulders when squatting however the red fold around literally just folds around!

Published 9 months ago by Matt1992

4.0 out of 5 stars good for the price, 24 Jun. 2011
This review is from: York 1" Barbell Pad (Sports)
I have been using this Barbell Pad for a few days now and what a difference it makes, when doing squats i was getting fed up with my neck and shoulders aching every time i did a set of squats, it is very comfortable to use and does not allow the bar to move and more importantly it allows me to move onto heavier weights with no added discomfort so i can recommend this product good price and does the job

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Bit of Kit, 15 July 2012
This review is from: York 1" Barbell Pad (Sports)
I needed a bit of padding for one of my barbells as I do Seated Calf Raises and using any reasonable amount of weight meant that the bar was digging into and bruising the tops of my legs just above the knees.
So I bought the 1" Barbell Pad from York. As with all York's gear (well, certainly the stuff I've bought), it's well made and sturdy. It fits snugly on my 5ft, 1" bar and I was able to put 100kg on without having any problems. In that past, I've been using pillows just above my knees but this pad does the job 101% better (and it stops my wife nagging me when I take them from her side of the bed).
The only downside is that I've found that you need to position it just right, with the opening at the top. Otherwise, they barbell has a tendency to roll a bit and slip out. But that's a minor point and as long as you keep the bar steady, it's no problem.
I've not squatted with it (I use an Olympic bar for that and don't have a problem with taking the weight unpadded) but I have also used it for Good Mornings and again found it very comfortable.
All in all, a good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for those sqauts, 26 Jun. 2014
Mookie (Hertford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York 1" Barbell Pad (Sports)
Was not expecting much for the price but this turned out to be a great addition to my bench. I do agree with others about the velcro coming open if placed a certain way on your back but resolved this by using electrical tape around the foam insert then wrapping it in the original outer. Hasn't done it since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the job, 17 Nov. 2011
This review is from: York 1" Barbell Pad (Sports)
Bought this to use with my spare barbell in my home gym and wasn't disappointed. It comes in two parts, the foam middle which is cut to easily place over the barbell and then the outer padding which is wrapped around this and held in place with Velcro. This is great because it means its easy and fast to remove if you are wanting to do dead lifts with your hands close together and then you can easily pop it back on to do squats. The pad is large enough to accommodate those with broad shoulders and is very comfortable. The outer padding is quite robust so it should last a long long time. A great and cheap addition to make squats more bearable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: York 1" Barbell Pad (Sports)
Only thing is the leather cover is not attached to the actual foam. Im considering glueing them together. Every time i take it off the barbell, it seems to fall apart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 8 Mar. 2012
This review is from: York 1" Barbell Pad (Sports)
Brought one of these as the pain on my shoulder blades whilst squatting large weights was becoming unbearable. As pointed out in a previous review, the padding does not fit all the way around the bar, however if you position it so the gap is not directly on your shoulders/upper back then this isn't an issue. Apart from this the pad has been brilliant. I can squat large weights without waking the next day with bruised shoulders and using it doesn't effect technique or unbalance the barbell whilst squatting. If you can't bare the pain invest in one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for light exercises and squats., 26 July 2014
This review is from: York 1" Barbell Pad (Sports)
It takes 5 stars relatively to its job: NO HEAVY LIFTING! but till you have 80-100 kg on your barbell it is totally confortable, resistent and compact. It comes in two parts (Padding and cover), but they perfectly stay together...like glue...so do not worry.
For its price and quality it is definitely the best on the market....still, use it for easy stuff...for heavy squats you can find the same product, from the same brand,but "evolved".

3.0 out of 5 stars Room for improvements, 9 July 2014
This review is from: York 1" Barbell Pad (Sports)
Good product but easy room for improvements!

It is not connected/attached to the pad at all and I find it annoying to fit each time so I just use the black cushion bit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much-needed support, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: York 1" Barbell Pad (Sports)
I was looking for something to give extra support for my neck when doing squats, this pad fits the standard barbell and provides great comfort meaning I could do more leg/back training! The pad wraps around the bar easily and doesn't give too much movement when training. Would definitely recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars ...., 23 May 2009
This review is from: York 1" Barbell Pad (Sports)
i bought this to use when doing squats with a bar and was quite dissapointed with the pad.
Firstly the pad comes in two seperate parts, the foam bit and the lether to hold it on. it would have been much easier if they were attached, however i dont know if others are like this and its not such a big problem. The main problem is that the pad is too small to wrap around a standard barbell. The foam wraps around about 3/4 of the bar which leaves the rest with no padding between you and the bar. You can twist it around a bit to get the foam bit but this is quite awkward to do with all that weight on your back.
Seeing that this pad does not even fit around the standard (not olympic) barbell it brings me to think whats the point of it. i am normally very happy with other york products and dont know why they went so wrong with this one.

York 1" Barbell Pad