5.0 out of 5 stars King's X Are Back To Their Best With "XV"!!
I managed to get this CD a few days ago, a few days before release. I am a massive King's X fan and have been for 20 years now. Anyways, down to the nitty gritty.
Published on 18 May 2008 by Jason Randell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good album, easy listening
Good album, easy listening
Published 18 days ago by Tim

5.0 out of 5 stars King's X Are Back To Their Best With "XV"!!, 18 May 2008
Jason Randell - See all my reviews
This review is from: XV - Ltd Ed (Audio CD)
With XV, Dug, Ty and Jerry have come up with a masterpiece. On first listen you are mesmerized by the impact of first song PRAY.....a song about all things religion, the actual music harks back to the first two albums, Silent Planet and Gretchen. Then if you can catch your breath we have BLUE, which is a little bit mellower but a great song all the same. Third song, REPEATING MYSELF is the first song of XV to feature Ty on vocals, just beautiful lyrics to a beautiful song. Then we get back to the ferocious ROCKET SHIP, which is a major highlight of XV, this reminds me of the Dogman album, quite dark and very heavy, I love it! JULIE has Jerry singing, and this is a major surprise in the sense that it holds itself up with the other songs on the album, definitely not a filler by any accounts! This is a song Lennon would have been proud to have written! Next up is ALRIGHT, the first single, and we're back to King's X of old, catchy lyrics and great harmonies. If the label got the right marketing with this single this would put King's X at the top where they belong! BROKE is just a great song, Dugs singing is fantastic, bluesy and soulful at the same time, the na na na's are just one of the standouts of the song, it has just everything, a great surprise! I JUST WANT TO LIVE has Ty back in the helm on vocals, this song wouldn't be out of place on Tys solo albums. This song just gets you thinking about life and how lucky we are compared to alot of people in the world. MOVE to me is, if there was a favorite on the album this would be it...you just hear a song that kind of plods quite happily along with Dugs singing in the verse and then explodes with the chorus and riffage! Fantastic! I DON'T KNOW has Ty singing his heart out, the break right after the halfway point is a major highlight that you don't see coming, Tys vocals are harrowing, it really sets the mood of the song. STUCK is just a balls to the wall rocker, the major highlight with this song is Tys guitar playing, outstanding! GO TELL SOMEBODY (to some people this will be the end of the album if you aint got the digipack version) is so catchy you will be singing it for days! A great song, great music. Brilliant! Next up (and yeh I have the digipack version) is LOVE AND ROCKETS (HELL'S SCREAMING) is a very dark rocker, Dug sounds pretty menacing. Then we have the closer, NO LIE..is a bit of a tongue in cheek song, it seems like the guys had a fun time recording this!
So..to some it up, a great mix of songs, some great rockers and some, very thought provoking, but hey this is King's X we are talking about here. King's X best album in a long time!! Go buy now, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebratory return to form..!, 28 Jun 2008
Lexx (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XV - Ltd Ed (Audio CD)
Yeah, I'm like a lot of the other reviewers and long-time fans of this band: Great classic run of albums on Atlantic, until the limp Ear Candy and then the departure to Metal Blade and indie-metal obscurity.
Then last year, the word got out that King's X were working with production-god Michael Wagener, and I started to get quietly hopeful that this LP would be the one to return them to the status they held at the end of the uber-Grunge 'Dogman'-era, where they totally destroyed the competition at the Woodstock revival festival. Indeed, anticipation increased when I saw the promo photographs that preceded this release - the band, clad in leather and denim, looking like they KNOW this LP is going to rock.
Now, for the first time in ages, we have a King's X LP that is cohesive, focussed, and succinct. Many of the previous albums felt too noodly and experimental, despite having numerous moments of potential. Perhaps sometimes a band just needs time off to experiment, before they can come back with a bang, and I think that's what's happened here.
'Pray For Me' starts the LP off with a barnstorming Doug opener, that sounds like a gospel tune in some monumentally rocking evangelical prayer meeting. Next up is a couple of Ty tunes - beautiful and well-composed, but without sucking the air out of the album, and then back to some Doug-heaviosity with 'Rocket Ship', and the album pretty much alternates from Doug to Ty, as usual.
For me, the standout track is the seismic 'Move'. Another grooving Doug track, with a stratospheric chorus accompanied by a monstrous grunge riff: it contains the kind of Doug-style passion I haven't heard since maybe the first LP. Listen to the last 30 seconds - I would bet that Wagener made the band sit down and study their early albums to recapture the vibe. Awesome and spine-tingling.
The album rounds off with the pounding 'Go Tell Somebody', another rocking gospel-type tune. This leaves you with no other conclusion than that the band have FINALLY re-located their mojo. About time..!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done KX, 5 Jun 2008
S. Roxburgh (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XV - Ltd Ed (Audio CD)
I held off buying this 'till a few weeks on from release; I am a long-time KX fan, and was not happy with (OT)Ogre tones, their last effort.Somehow it didn't fit together as an album, even though some songs were great.

This time they have delivered a really quality package.The biggest change to me is that the order of the songs, the album as a whole, works so well. The songs themselves vary greatly but it all fits together.The way in which the songs run into each other a bit keeps the confident pace up through the album.It is way better produced than OT as well.

Fave' tracks? 'Blue' and 'Free'.So very Kings'x yet (and I know this is controversial) so much more listener- friendly than previous efforts.I am proud to be a fan of the band after hearing this right through 3 or 4 times (not jumping around the cd).

This is a very fine piece of work and a pleasure to listen to.Well done Doug, Ty and Jerry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kings Reign Supreme, 23 Jun 2008
gingerguru "gingerguru" (Billericay, Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: XV (Audio CD)
I think it's important to start the review by putting this latest release from King's X into context. This is, I'm fairly sure, the band's 12th studio album, their debut record being released all of 20 years ago. This shows just how durable the band have been and the vastness of their musical creativity over that period.
The album sort of carries on in the same vein as Ogre Tones, although I would suggest the band sound even fresher on XV than they did on the last release. Michael Wagener has produced again and this time round he's done a better job, as if he's now got a better grasp on the band's vibe.
What we have is a fairly mixed bag of songs. Pray, Alright, Go Tell Somebody & Rocket Ship are all pretty up tempo and straight ahead rockers. Alright is particularly catchy and does remind me of the band's earlier and, perhaps, more exuberant days circa Gretchen & Faith Hope Love.
We also get the usual Ty Tabor led tracks of which there are three - Repeating Myself, I Just Want To Live & I Don't Know. These are typical Ty tracks of the ballad variety and stack up well against his best songs with the band and from his solo albums. Repeating Myself is a quite stunning song with some beautiful vocal harmony lines - a real highlight on the album. As a first, we also get a track with Jerry (the drummer) taking lead vocals on Julie. This is another very strong track with a heavy Beetles hue. It's also very reminiscent of the material on Jerry's solo album which is surprisingly good by the way.
If you get the extended version of the album, you'll get 2 bonus tracks, Love & Rockets which has a great chorus and No Lie which is bluesy and great fun. These make a total of 14 tracks which provides a pretty generous and varied offering.
Of the other tracks not mentioned above, I particularly like Stuck which is pretty original with some surprising dissonance in the chordal guitar work in the verse. This is a well developed track and really grows on you with repeated listens. Blue is another highlight for me with its laid back groove and rich harmonic structure.
Overall, this is another very rewarding album from this critically acclaimed yet little known Texan band. If you're already a fan of the band, you've probably already made your purchase. If not, do so immediately and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
I've given the album 5 stars. In fairness, 4.5 stars would probably be more accurate if the Amazon rating system allowed it. The half point is accounted for by 1 or perhaps 2 slightly weaker tracks on an otherwise consistently high quality offering. Long may this supreme band continue making music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly a return to form!, 30 May 2008
This review is from: XV - Ltd Ed (Audio CD)
Just been listening to this album - it's good. I parted ways with Kings X a few years back after Ear Candy - which was a good but not great affair. Please Come Home Mr Bulbous was awful, I don't know what happened to them there.....
This seems to contain a little more passion & warfare. The lyrics and vocals have more depth & the playing has a lot more fire. It's not Dogman but it's more than I myself expected.
A terrible review but I do think that if you liked early Kings X them you won't be disappointed with this

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album You Prayed For, 12 May 2008
Barto (EU) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: XV - Ltd Ed (Audio CD)
Ah, sure - King's X hardly ever disappoints. However, their new album is something we all wanted to get from the band for a very long time: not just a collection of decent songs with several brilliant moments, but a thoroughly mesmerizing piece of work that grabs your attention with the super-energetic opener "Pray" and doesn't let go until the last sounds of the catchy "Go Tell Somebody". (If you're lucky to get the limited version of the CD, the new album will control your mind for the duration of two more songs: "Love and Rockets (Hell's Screaming)" and "No Lie"; and they're as good as the rest of the material.) Play "Julie" if you're in a romantic mood; go for "Rocket Ship" or "Alright" if you want to feel a sudden surge of optimism; choose "I Don't Know" for something a bit weirder - "XV" is an album that captures any emotion you can think of. Go buy it - and then make sure you tell somebody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spread the word!!!!, 30 May 2008
John Mcconnel "oldgothrocker" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XV - Ltd Ed (Audio CD)
Similar to other reviewers, I too have been following King's X for the past 20yrs, with each new pending release theres always the anticipation of awaiting another solid set of new material alongside a slight tinge of frustration in that this a band which has been criminally ignored & underated. Anyway enough of that, what we have here is arguably the finest work from the texan trio to date!! Personally I am bit mistified as to why people are saying this & Ogre Tones are a welcome return to form, personally I don't think they ever lost it, never a band to shy away from experimentation, King's X have delivered yet another excellent album. Personally I think it's about time people look beyond Gretchen & Dogman, & start looking at the rich catalogue of work the band have compiled since. Hopefully XV will be the album that gains the band the long overdue recognition they so richly deserve, SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine return, 11 Sep 2008
Rev. S. Cutmore (nomansland - hemel hempstead UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XV - Ltd Ed (Audio CD)
Having been blown away all those years ago by "Out of the Silent Planet' I have stuck by these guys since, up until 'Please Come Home Mr Bulbous' which I took ages to 'get' (but I now absoloutely love!) I didn't bother with 'Manic Moonlight' after the soundclips. It was only later that I bought the waste of space that is 'Black Like Sunday.' Ogre Tones was, as a whole, an incomplete and bitty work... Was the band beginning to reach their creative end...

I ordered XV with trepidation. I have to say that on 2nd listen, whilst I hear a band trying some old hooks, it is definitely a MASSIVE return to creative form.

I would love to see the guys in the UK as I suspect this stuff will transfer live amazingly well...

Welcome back King's X - I am loving what I am hearing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album this year, 1 Jun 2008
so far!

This is their best one yet, actually better than 'Gretchen goes to Nebraska'. Every song is just the right length, short punchy, with energetic grooved rockers interspersed with beatle-esque softer songs with some very tasty guitar licks. Everyone has a go on lead vocals-and they can all sing! The production is great - immediate but also bears well with repeated listening. This band is criminally underated artistically and commercially-they should have loads of hits to their name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stormin high standard heavy rock return from cult legends, 27 Jun 2009
This review is from: XV - Ltd Ed (Audio CD)
They have returned after three years with a very impressive fully well rounded album that has many sides, many shades. it has sing-along rock songs, very heavy dark tunes, sweet emotional tunes, funky rock, many catchy infectious hooks. This is ones of thier very best, and that is saying a lot. If you like your Metallica, but also like a little Beatles, the heavy with the soft, you'll love this perfect album.

XV - Ltd Ed
XV - Ltd Ed by King's X (Audio CD - 2008)