on 7 November 2010
Having looked for a print server for an ancient, but reliable, LaserJet 5L printer I finally decided to go for the TP-Link. I'd read reviews of other devices saying that they only supported one printer at a time, kept dropping off the network, were complex to setup, so I was a little nervous. I also have a very mixed set of machines, 2 XP, 1 Win 7 and 1 Mac, which also ruled out a number of other models. However, it all turned out to be pretty easy with this piece of kit. You will need a Windows machine (and yes, it supports Windows 7, which was good news). I simply plugged it into the back of the printer, put my network cable in and ran the installation disc. It does say for you to have the IP address of your router handy (it's usually 192.168.x.x and if you don't know it go into the router setup page, or look at the manufacturers website) and it then suggests an IP address for the printer on the network. It sounds complex, but it's really straight-forward. If you already had the printer installed on the machine, it detects it and that is pretty much it. If not (and I didn't), you install it using the 'Add Printer' menu (it says to install it as a local printer and to use LPT1, which works fine).

Setting up the Mac was even easier. The server has AppleTalk built into it, so just hitting the '+' button in 'Printer & Fax' menu brings it up as a printer to add, click on it, job done!

The XP machines were a little more involved, having to add the printer manually. You won't see it under 'network printers', instead you have to configure a port and type in the printer's IP address. Again, it's in the instructions (if a little buried in the manual), but it's simple to do when you know how.

Multiple machines can be on and all access the printer at the same time. There is a web interface where you can access reports such as what jobs were sent to the printer and when and set up detailed and complex parameters if that's your thing.

Print servers can be a little temperamental if you loose your internet connection, or re-boot your modem or router. It survived both.

All in all, simple, effective, cheaper than a lot of other models - what's not to like!
on 31 January 2011
I wanted to make an old parallel port laser printer available to all the PCs in the office. Server was easy to install and worked well with both XP and Windows 7 machines. So far it has been a case of fit and forget.
on 9 October 2012
Well the time finally came to decommission my trusty NEC Pentium 3 Windows 2000 file and print server in my home's office in favour of a quiet SFF machine that can do all that iPlayer, DLNA streaming stuff as well and park it under the TV in the lounge. Problem is that my workhorse HP Laserjet 6MP printer that was connected and shared via the NEC needs to stay where it is and I am never getting rid of that as it's just too good.

So what to do? Answer: Get one of these! I bought a Used-Like-New one from a Z shop for half the new price and so far I am delighted. Its size is roughly the same as the plug on the old printer cable and so still fits nicely within the printer's connector space under the flap. The device comes with a small 3.3v power supply, so you do also need an extra socket near by. There is also no network cable in the box.

Setup was very easy using the CD supplied in the box and having RTFM. The main task of the utilities is just to allow you to set an IP address for the device for your network. But having done this, configuration changes can then be achieved just as well without the CD from a browser and then for printer clients using the Windows Add printer wizard, the manual and nothing more. I'm always reluctant to install the next piece of bloatware on my PC unless absolutely necessary.

Because my printer is usually switched off, my HTPCs print to the TP-Link print server and I share the printer on the HTPCs and client machines spool to the HTPC's. The printer can then be switched on when I remember and out comes my print jobs.

A very neat nice functioning device.
on 8 November 2012
I had replaced a PC which had a parallel port with a new one which did not. I also wanted to keep a tried and trusted HP LaserJet 1100 printer. Although I could have gone for the (relatively) simple option of using a USB to Centronics adaptor cable, I felt it would be useful not to have the PC to which the printer is connected powered on just for other PCs on my network to be able to print.
This device seemed the ideal for my first attempt at using a network printer, but there was one problem. The HP 1100 has a female Micro-Centronics connector whereas this device has a (full-size) male Centronics connector. Fortunately, Amazon sell a two-part "USB to 36-pin Male Micro-Centronics Adaptor". Using the Centronics to Micro-Centronics part solved the problem of physical connectivity.
I did not find the manual to be particularly helpful, but after several attempts at installing and de-installing the software, I achieved my goal and now have a Windows XP machine, a Windows Vista machine and a Windows 7 machine all happily printing to my good old HP 1100.
End result, a useful device at an attractive price doing an efficient job. Early days yet, but initial impressions are good. I would have given it 5 stars but I feel it is let down by the User Manual.
on 20 March 2011
TYhis device worked with Windows 7 64 bit when others failed. HP provided a driver for my 13 year old printer HP Laser Jet 4P, and aLL WORKED WELL.
on 5 January 2012
Can't fault this at all. It enables a parallel printer to be used on a network: it plugs directly into the printer (Centronics interface) and a standard Ethernet cable connects it to a network port on your PC, Mac, hub/switch or router. It works on both Windows and Mac, and works on my MacBook Pro, whereas two different parallel-USB cables didn't work, on two different printers. So this is recommended as the best method of getting a parallel printer working on a Mac or a Windows laptop with no parallel port. It also enables use of the printer from any other computer on the network.
Windows instructions & mini-CD are included with the product; Mac instructions are on their website ([...]) & need no CD. The print server comes configured as 192.168.0.10: as usual with servers, to change this (eg if that address is already used, or your network is 192.168.1.x instead of 192.168.0.x), you connect it directly to the PC/Mac and follow the detailed instructions to change it.
If you haven't got a free network port, instead of this cabled print server use a wireless print server.
You can connect as many of these as you like (up to about 240!); just configure each one to have a different IP address.
Note that drivers for many older printers (including HP 6P and HP ColorLaser4550) are already on a Mac; don't download a driver unless you have to. Also note that Gutenprint drivers seem not to support colour.
on 26 April 2012
I've just realised that I should have reviewed this item long ago.
I bought this Print Server so that I could access my (parellel port) HP 6L printer from my two PCs upstairs and from my laptop downstairs. After connecting it to my router and printer, installing the software, and following the instructions it worked straightaway.
I've now been using it for well over 12 months and it has performed faultlessly, with no glitches whatsoever.
A brilliant bit of kit that I would wholeheartedly recommend. Five stars!!!
on 12 March 2014
Like many of the other reviewers I bought this to network an old (19 years) laserJet 5P printer that was just too good to throw away.

There are 2 parts to the installation the first being the connection of the server to your router and the second the connection of your computers, smart phones etc to the printer over the network.

I used the wizard as it seemed the easiest and quickest way whilst I had no problems setting up the server and router connection it failed miserably setting up the printer on my windows 7 PC.

The problem was solved by deleting the printer and setting it up manually by adding a printer in Control Panel / hardware etc / printers. you need to add a "standard TC/IP port" and just follow the prompts adding the addresses used with the wizard remember to enable LPR byte counting. In the case of the laserJet 5P you will most likely not find a 5P driver as Windows 7 does not support the 5P so you need to use universal driver "PL5 version 5.7.0 16448 10Sep13."

Once I had done the manual set up the printer worked fine it even worked with android printshare on my Galaxy tab2.

I would have given the server 5 stars if the wizard had worked.
on 16 October 2012
I bought this to replace a D-Link equivalent that had given up the ghost after years of sterling service connecting my HP Laserjet 6P to my network, which has a mix of various shades of Windows and Linux. Heeding the reviews found for this product, I carried out the initial setup from a Windows XP machine using the supplied CD. I used the CD to change the network settings to match my network and also to install the printer to the XP machine. Once this was done, pointing a browser at the print server's IP address brought up the configuration pages; so any future admin can be done from any computer on the network. Installing the printer to the other machines on my network was a doddle. Although the default driver Ubuntu offered didn't work, I suspect that was down to Ubuntu rather than the print server and an alternative CUPS driver for the printer was fine. On the whole, I'm delighted with this although only time will tell whether it has the longevity of the D-Link server it replaced.
on 15 July 2012
I bought this in the hope it would solve a printer problem I was experiencing. My macbook pro running OS 10.7 (Lion) was connected to my old, indestructible HP Laserjet 5000 printer via a USB to Parallel cable. I could print one document and then the mac would promptly lose the printer, claiming it was "not connected". With the TL-PS110P attached to my router via an ethernet cable and plugged into my printer's parallel port, the problem is solved and everything works fine. There's nothing for mac on the supplied disc (it's one of those 3 inch mini discs so don't even think about trying it in your macbook's CD drive - you'll never get it out again!) and the instructions on the manufacturer's site (when you find them) are a bit out of date, but with a bit of application it's possible to make it work. I wish TP-Link had included up-to-date mac guidance in the supplied booklet, but apart from that I would say this is a good product.

See one answered question