4.0 out of 5 stars A very random selection of "hits"
I thought the fact it had 5 cds was a bargain. This is a very random selection of hits. It is great for a long journey, but however I found myself skipping a lot of the fillers especially on cd's 3 and 4
Published on 23 April 2008 by hot potatos

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss
Occasionally I go through a lull where I'm not really "into" any particular music. During these times I tend to buy these sorts of compilation albums where the music is varied, where maybe I might discover some songs, or maybe even genres, I've not heard much of before.
I have a 1 hour round trip commute every weekday by car, so this one looked a decent buy...
Published on 2 Oct 2010 by E. Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars A very random selection of "hits", 23 April 2008
hot potatos (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss, 2 Oct 2010
E. Clarke "Ed Clarke" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 101 Driving Songs (Audio CD)

Disc 1 starts up in lively fashion, gearing up with Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now". Minus the odd track, this disc is generally excellent. Disc 2 isn't so bad either, with some nice choices in Blondie's "One Way or Another" and the theme from Saxondale.

But unfortunately it's all downhill from there. Disc 3 is absolutely the worst. It is, bar the odd exceptions, 25 consecutive tracks of oldies. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the oldies, in fact I quite enjoy them, but in moderation. It's the way they dedicated the entire CD to it that just seems so lacking in creativity. Why not spread them out over a few discs?

Now, what I consider a good driving song may well differ from what you, or in this case, the CD compilers, consider a good driving song. But it just seems to me as though, particularly in Disc 3, they have just Googled songs with "car" or "drive" or "highway" etc in them, and randomly selected the ones that have been thrown up. That doesn't necessarily make them good driving songs: Disc 3 is enough to send you to sleep - not a good idea when you're driving.

Fortunately, Disc 4 is on hand to pick up the speed again. "My Sharona" followed by "Turning Japanese" gets the heart rate going again, and by the time you reach Roxette's "Joyride" you can't help but put your foot down. In fact, it all coasts along quite nicely into Disc 5. There's an inspired choice in Alabama 3's "Woke up this Morning" and a surprise or two along the way (whoever thought "You Can Leave Your Hat On" would make such a great driving song?).

So you know you're on the home stretch now, and The Motors' "Airport" flashes by, followed by the Lightning Seeds' "Life Of Riley". Things are looking up...but then it all ends with a bit of an anti-climax. It ends with the baffling choice of "Year Of The Cat". A good song in it's own right, but a fitting end to an album of driving songs? Hardly. I was hoping for the sort of end that would make you feel like you'd been in a high-speed crash. Instead it feels like rolling slowly to a stop with a flat tyre.

So overall it's a mediocre affair. There are some really good tracks, but these are few and far between, due to too much "songs with 'Road' in the title" filler. It's like a bad journey to work. You start off fine, hit traffic, spend a few minutes going nowhere, finally start picking up speed, and then run out of petrol.

I've run out driving analogies now, you'll be glad to hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Tunes, 31 May 2008
This review is from: 101 Driving Songs (Audio CD)
I was very surprised to see the previous negative reviews for this album.

This is a fantastic collection of tracks, from the 60s to present day, with some gems that I'd forgotten how fantastic they are.

Pay no attention to the previous reviewers - musical taste is very personal. Look at the track lists and make up your own mind. If you like what you see, buy it - you won't regret it. If you don't, well then - keep your money and stay happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars 101 Driving Songs, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: 101 Driving Songs (Audio CD)
Some songs I have not heard in a while. Some were not my taste at all - but overall, happy with the collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: 101 Driving Songs (Audio CD)
Good discs for that long journey. Not new, but that does not matter with a CD.
Worth the money. thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars You've never heard most tracks? Well change your radio station!, 19 July 2008
This review is from: 101 Driving Songs (Audio CD)
these 5 discs, yes 5!!, have a great selection of eclectic tracks. I can't believe people who say they've not heard of most of the tracks...er it gives a track listing, if you don't like it then don't buy. For those people who don't just listen to local commercial "Braindead Radio" then there's a real interesting mix of music from several decades. I'm a heavy rock fan & my other half likes softer rock & pop stylings and we both found great tracks! Go on widen your musical tastes and take a punt on this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best driving Compilation for memory lane!, 22 Jun 2008
This review is from: 101 Driving Songs (Audio CD)
If you've grown up being trapped in the car with your parents music selection... plus also enjoy music with a good rock beat and decent lyrics, this will be for you!
I was very impressed by the range of years, actually decades, covered here.
There are some fillers, as others have mentioned, but all tracks have enough rhythm and beats to keep you awake on long journeys.
For those who are skipping some of the tracks, maybe you've just become accustomed to your own varied listening threshold - fortunately mine has built up over many years and memories of times, people (especially my family's favourites) and places came flooding back. A Great All-Rounder - I'd recommend for around the house cleaning, tidying up as well as in the car! Have been looking for a compilation like this for years!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Would definitely recommend it!, 16 April 2008
A. Patel (UK) - See all my reviews
This 5 CD set is excellent value for money and features classic and
current hits.
Would definitely recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice, 27 Aug 2008
101 Driving Songs
I have to agree with the more recent comments about this compilation. It is a great mix of stuff, certainly will keep you bouncing about while driving, and also while doing housework etc! Very good value for money and only one or two tracks that I would really call fillers. I had an excellent cassette of driving hits which was stolen and this is a terrific replacement.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor, 17 May 2008
This review is from: 101 Driving Songs (Audio CD)
In my opinion not really a collection of driving songs! More like throwing together whatever they had lying around and put it on a CD (with the odd familiar tune thrown in for good measure)!

101 Driving Songs
101 Driving Songs by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2008)