5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than you probably remember.
It's odd but I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who thought Season 2 of Torchwood was a big disappointment. It was an often shameful dilution of something really original and quite remarkable

I've just re-watched this Season 1 boxset (blu-ray version) and it really is truly astounding with only a couple of weak stories.
Episodes like "They keep...
Published on 7 Nov 2008 by G. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, inconsistent, entertaining
I came late and backwards to Torchwood; I watched the first episode before I'd ever watched any of the relaunch Doctor Who episodes. I quite liked it but mainly I wanted to watch what they'd done to Doctor Who. The revamped Who was so great that it kept me busy until I saw all of it, then I went back to watch Torchwood.

It's a great idea for a series but...
Published on 3 July 2008 by lexo1941

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer joy!, 18 Mar 2008
P. Maslin "Cush" (UK) - See all my reviews
I missed most of the first series so buying and viewing these were pure pleasure. I savoured each episode slowly getting to know each enigmatic member of Torchwood. Owen is so hot! Excellent stuff and thats from a 52 year old womans point of view.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting spin off..., 17 Feb 2008
..it is almost a shame it spins out of doctot who as the feel is far far darker and I think the whole is weakened because of the campness of doctot who. Speaking of campness and all things gay, the biggest downside was all the needless gay scenes included, okay Captain Jack was established as Bi in doctor who but it is gratuiuous. Now I probably sound like a homophobe but I would be equally critical of needles hetero scenes. they are all well and good if they further the plot of add a touch of humour but, mostly they didn't. It seems that Russel T davies wants to thrust his sexuaity in our faces, so to speak. That aside it is good british sci fi, hopefully it will go from strength to strength.

4.0 out of 5 stars The 21st Century is when everything change..., 7 Jan 2008
Sam H3 (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Torchwood, A more darker, Gorier, Sexier series than Doctor Who. That's how torchwood is stated, Much more wilder than it's sister series, Doctor Who
Now, Torchwood to me is like a love/hate relationship, it has some brilliant episode's like `They keep killing Suzie' or `Greek's bearing gift's' and some bad episodes like `Cyberwoman' or `Day One' which to me are totally awful and not RTD's best.
Torchwood was penned has the dark side of Doctor Who, which mean's the writer's could step out of the kid friendly world of DW and focus on the more adult world, the Darker world and in most episode's you can see that it is nothing like DW In a good way.
Now, TW ain't like the version described in DW S2 - AOG/Doomsday, where There deemed has Bad and sadistic, The new version isn't like that, they ain't trying to open The void or anything, they are following the Primary Rule, Defending Great Britain.
There are in total 5 member's of TW, Captain Jack who is from the DW series, Gwen, Tosh, Owen and lanto, who work in a underground base in the middle of Cardiff, using alien technology to find the alien's.
Episode's - Everything Changes, Day One, Ghost Machine, Cyberwoman, Small Worlds, Countrycide, Greeks Bearing gifts, They keep killing Suzie, Random Shoes, Out Of Time, Combat, Captain Jack Harkness, End Of Days
Torchwood isn't a `Kid friendly' series which mean's there are no DW monster's in TW like, The Dalek's though there is a stupid version of the cyberman = Cyberwoman which is a stupid idea and another way they thought they could sex up TW.

Torchwood had a number of great episode's but had it's share of the worsest, though S1 has a great premise for a more season's and hopefuly with S2 upon us they will hopefully know what they are doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars skul lover - peter pan, 22 April 2008
pure escapism - love all the cast - fascinating stories -
can't wait for series 3!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!!!!!!, 18 Mar 2008
C. A. Lewis "JB mega-fab!" (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
This was all I wanted it to be and more! The addition of a Captain's Log is a brilliant idea, more for the next set please!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Muddled Mix of Crass and Juvenile Writing, 28 Jun 2009
S. Porter (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Torchwood - Series 1 Box Set [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Fans of Doctor Who and Jack Harkness were probably as excited as I was when Torchwood was first announced, and I was among the many who tuned in to see it. Sadly, the series doesn't entirely live up to its promise as an 'adult' addition to the Doctor Who franchise. The cast themselves are interesting, however the characters they portray are an almost abhorrant mixture of the grotesque and dysfuntional and it's very difficult to believe in them as a team. That's not say the series isn't without merit. Although at times the series feels mired by mediocrity and poor judgement, there are some glimpses of its true potential, and particularly towards the end of its run there are some genuinely enjoyable episodes to see. So while it may not be perfect, perseverence will pay off, and in HD, it looks so much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why can I not rate this a Zero., 6 Nov 2008
I have to say that Owen was almost an ok character, Yanto (or something like that I really don't care enough to check), Gwen's kind of man, Tosh (the hyper asian lady in AbFab whom I loved in that series), and Jack's ex where pretty ok done (Jack's ex being the mosty likable).
Other than that the series is the most horrid peice of trash I have ever had the misfortune to download for free...I am so glad I had been downloading Who before buying the DVDs...I liked the actors, but after series one of the new ones it sarted losing something (good plots for one). Well I downloaded this because Jack may have been a bit horridly over played at times but I liked him in the first season because he was a neat change. Well they force the horrid fish eyed gap toothed Gwen on you right away with a voice that could peel paint out of a closed paint tin. As an actor she may be good, but they have her act slow and do these horrid stares at everything under the sun that makes her look a bit genetically disadvantaged. They force her as the main character for no good reason, run horrible plots that I would have been ashamed to write even when I was in the second grade...no really they are that bad. They put items laying around a building to be found in the future 60 years later and the person just happens to walk right up to where they had set them. It is torture to watch as a Who fan, it is horrid to watch as a person wanting to see Sci-Fi, if you want a good show with gay characters in it then watch The Wedding Banquet or V for Vendetta (I am looking at you Fry...darned fine actor). This series could have been great but it is the worst written series I have ever ever ever ever ever seen. And I watched Full House growing up. Do yourself a favor and download the first series...if you still want it then buy a PS3 and get the Blu-ray version...not because the Blu-Ray version is better, but because you are already throwing away your money, so you might as well do it in style.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid like Plague, 28 July 2008
Steer away from this really third class spin-off. It's waste of time and money. It's badly done, terrible actors, some really bad special effects, very thin plot, and above all what happened to the humour? It's a lame attempt to generate some extra cash using a well established name of Dr. Who. Script and dialogues are so very flat and boring that it makes even the dullest of the new Dr. Who series episodes look far more interesting.

3.0 out of 5 stars to much sex, swearing and violence, 28 Dec 2007
mike clarke "bock" (zurich, switzerland) - See all my reviews
I know when they marketed Torchwood they said it would be more adult, dark, gory, violent and scary. However RTD and all the toher writers just went over the top, not all adult post-watershed shows have to contain sex or a swear word per scene. We get the point now can you please focus and write a good epiosde. The higlights were few in this series and its a shame because captain Jack leading a an alien-busting superteam, that sounds awesome and the only awesome things they deleiver is the episode which doesnt feature the crew much (you know with the alien eye) the speical effects, aliens, fighting and the doctor who crossover finale. But other than that its oh lets put more swear words, stop it and focus and then maybe you can make series 2 a wicked cool sci fi show with less oh lets be naughty!

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too unsavoury and dysfunctional, 21 April 2009
W. Beckett (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
So let's go adult with Sci-fi eh? The problem is, Torchwood went too far over the top. F letter words seem to jar and sit uncomfortable within the context of the show, and injections of crass horror didn't gel easily into the mix either... And I'm not being puritanical here, just didn't think the intentions were well executed. Adults themes just done for the sake of it as tack-on's without really adding or saying anything.
However, my biggest problem with the show, has always been the characters. None of them are really likable. And they all seem like such an unsavory dysfunctional bunch with screwed up private lives - that you couldn't possibly believe that they could save themselves, let alone save the Earth or the universe! So, I just about stuck out the first series, but ultmately was left with a very dis-satisfied bad taste in my mouth. It was always just so dour, angst-ridden, bleak and grim. No levity and no pointers to the more positive aspects of human nature to at least balance the drama and occasionally lift it out of it's basement doldrums. I say a bit of sunlight would've helped. So nah, sorry - but I'm not keen on 'Eastender' slagging match style Science Fiction with a stream of expletives thrown in. I like to be entertained, not skirt with clinical depression! Needless to say, I didn't even bother with the second series!

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›