5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than you probably remember.
It's odd but I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who thought Season 2 of Torchwood was a big disappointment. It was an often shameful dilution of something really original and quite remarkable

I've just re-watched this Season 1 boxset (blu-ray version) and it really is truly astounding with only a couple of weak stories.
Episodes like "They keep...
Published on 7 Nov. 2008 by G. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in Parts
The first series of Torchwood is like the preverbiable curates egg - Good in parts. Torchwood is allowed to go places where it's parent Dr Who could never go, and for the first series that is part of the problem. There are times especially in the first few episodes when the writing and production team seem like a group of kids who suddenly have freedom to do things they...
Published on 2 July 2010 by Colin Hayes

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 24 Aug. 2011
B. Pennant "old skool booklover" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was reviewing some recent purchases and noticed I hadn't a reviewed Torchwood series 1 dvd so here goes:

I didn't love Torchwood until I saw Cyberwoman my main issue is that the whole Gwen and Jack thing for me was done with the subtlety of a sledge hammer I also found it really hard to like Gwen she was just too much but what caught my interest was Cyberwoman I had been wondering why Ianto was in the Torchwood after that I gave it more time and then Countrycide and They Keep Killing Suzie kept me in.

Overall there is a lack of coherence and the characters are a little odd at times I love the originality and of the first series I will say I do hate Eve Myles fringe in this first series but her hair gets better.

Although I mellowed towards Gwen during Combat utimately Gwen and Jack and even a good storyline aren't enough to keep in interested in Torchwood.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great spin-off...THE CAPTAIN JACK SHOW!!!, 17 July 2008
S. J. Pinder "scifihorror fan" (Cornwall,UK) - See all my reviews
i thought that this was a great debut series and much prefered it to Doctor Who(as only the first two seeries had aired)when it was on BBC3 for the first time,and series 2 maintained its pace...but this series had lots of originality and won TV awards here in the uk including best genre actor(JOHN BARROWMAN)best actress(EVE MYLES)and best drama.
now for the episodes-
Everything Chances-5/5-a great introduction to the show and it really lures you into what the characters are like...and it has a stable storyline for it to stick to,and my god it is a very dark and gritty show,fab performances all around.

Day One-5/5-a very raunchy episode of the show,and again very violent carrying on from where the previous episode finished.

Ghost in the Machine-5/5-a dark and brutal episode that gets viewers into the head of Gwen Cooper,and it is a very good storyline for her character.

Cyberwoman-4/5-weak in some places but nevertheless it is very enjoyable and there is action,but mainly a character driven episode that doesn't require the imagination whatsoever,what it is is what you get.

Small Worlds-5/5-a fantastic episode and very entertaining...and those faeries are horrific...certainly not for lil' kiddies.

Countrycide-5/5-a very eerie episode and very,very intense...who or what is killing the residents of a local village?it feels like a slasher flick...and is certainly more fun than the recent The Cottage.

Greeks Bearing Gifts-5+/5-finally we get a great Tosh episode that gets inside her character and the episode is still one of the shows best.

They Keep on Killing Suzie-5+/5-possibly out of the two series this is my all time favourite episode,basically because the acting,scenes and plot is just incredible and it not only gets us in the mind of mr Harkness it shows us just what he is capable of and how dark and gritty this show can be...without the use of CGI monsters but relies on character and witty dialogue to make it a triumphunt episode and why it stands out as being my favourite,the pace is plain intense that it really does push you to the edge of your seat...and i love that 45 minutes of great television has the power to do that.

Random Shoes-4.5/5-a light episode that by now we have understood what the characters are like we now are introduced to Eugene...and the episode is almost a direct focus on him and the viewer sees right through his eyes it isnt a perfect episode but it is still very good.

Out of Time-4/5-a character episode that doesnt require any monster nor does it need to it develops characters without the need of brutality or cgi monsters...it isnt anything like 'They keep on...' nor does it come close...but it is character driven which is what i love...it is nevertheless a good episode.

Combat-3/5-possibly the weakest episode of this series but it is still enjoyable...it focuses mainly on Owen and pushes the plotline on further for series 2.

I'm Captain Jack Harkness-5+/5-my second favourite episode of the show and well what can i say...its brilliant all the way through to the kiss and then it ends on a great cliffhanger of sorts,but this episode really shines and develops Capt.Jack as a character...god John Barrowman is a fabulous actor...the action is little and far between but it is a genuine classic episode and why the show had beaten its daddy (doctor who)series...series three of doctor who founds the shows feet...but this is the only time i have found a spin-off to be superior to its parent series and this episode shows off why it is.

End of Days-5+/5-a perfect finale that balances everything the show is about...with a great terrifying beastie for the team to face...the son of Satan...a perfect finale for the first series to bow out on...series 2 may be less effective but it is a great follow on and has James Marsters for 3 episodes,so make sure you purchase both of these series immediately!!!and then buy series 3 and 4 of Doctor Who which(in my opinion)bettered this show,nevertheless this first series beat dr who's first two series because of its power and its fabulous acting...luckily Doctor Who writers used this as a lesson and improved the parent series for its future seasons.
worth your time and a great spin-off,watch for John Barrowman.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant! even better then Doctor Who!, 18 Sept. 2011
if you ever watched doctor who loved it but wished it was a bit more darker,mature like other sci-fi shows such as the x files and buffy the vampire slayer e.g you now shows that are dark and not for kids then Torchwood's for you I would recommend it to all older fans of doctor who but even to any one who isn't who likes that sort of dark sci-fi show like the ones I listed above or in that sort of category.it's brilliant and I've found it better then doctor who,that's not a criticism of doctor who I absolutely love Dr who, definitely in top 3 of my Favourite TV shows, I just like Torchwood better so any show that can top doctor who is got to be a brilliant programme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Torchwood Series One, 16 Mar. 2010
C. Laminack "Red Rose" (Atlanta, Ga) - See all my reviews
I loved the show before I bought it, but I'm glad I have it to add to my collection. It is an excellent series and no sci-fi fan is complete without this! The characters are wonderfully developed and the plots are captivating. And to all the actors and crew that worked hard on this, it really shows through to the audience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Had its bad moments, but a very good series, 23 Jun. 2012
Like all TV shows Torchwood did have its bad episodes and cringe-worthy moments (such as the legendary Gwen crying over pizza episode), but otherwise it is a good series.

It was good how we got a little background into the lives of the characters, although Ianto could have been given a little more background. We don't get to see his house :'(

Some episodes I have to skip, and others I watch over and over again, but Torchwood definitely is (or rather was...) well-worth the buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Content and actual product are great, 13 April 2012
As a fan of Doctor Who and Jack Barrowman's character IN Doctor Who, watching Torchwood was a natural step after finishing the new Doctor Who series (As far as is available anyway)

I enjoy the show and LOVE seeing the little cross-overs from Doctor Who.

The product itself is acceptable. It is a bit frustrating that there are only 2 episodes per disk, but the disks are stored so that they are easily accessible, not between cardboard but in a proper plastic disk compartment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Oct. 2011
A must have for any doctor who fans and Torchwood fans. Full of action, thrills and spills with great special effects. Highly recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, funny, sometimes trashy, but mostly in a good way, 17 Feb. 2009
Christian Klass (Berlin, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood - Series 1 Box Set [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I've enjoyed watching the first season of Torchwood - I seem to enjoy most of BBCs series and can hardly wait for the second season of Torchwood. This show has nice characters, though one of the female main characters in the show quickly got on my nerves. I like the mixture of sexual tension, gruesome enemys, death and love, and comedy elements. Some of the effects are a bit too trashy, but mostly they are okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... this when it was first on television and am glad that it has not only dated very well but ..., 14 Mar. 2015
I saw this when it was first on television and am glad that it has not only dated very well but is actually better than I remember. I admit I am bias when it comes to this as I have known some of the people in it and am from South Wales myself, but it is still a hugely enjoyable series and I can not really fault it. Brilliant mix of humour, adventure, tension, suspense, sci-fi, human drama and a sense of wonder.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE GREATEST SHOWS EVER!!!, 11 Mar. 2008
When I first watched Torchwood it was for one reason; it was a spin-off of Doctor Who. However, after watching just one episode I was hooked. Torchwood is an amazing show on its own without needing the reputation of Doctor Who to make it good. The cast and crew are all truly talented (And in the case of Gareth David Lloyd -Ianto Jones- very very cute as well!) and I am really enjoying Series 2 at the moment, which is even better than the first series!

As an obvious fan of the show, I am really pleased with this Torchwood Boxset. Spread over 7 discs, it features all thirteen episodes of the first series as well as brilliant special features, which in my opinion are an absolute must for DVDs!

EPISODES:
'Everything Changes', 'Day One', 'Ghost Machine', 'Cyberwoman', 'Small Worlds', 'Countrycide', 'Greeks Bearing Gifts', 'They Keep Killing Suzie', 'Random Shoes', 'Out of Time', 'Combat', 'Captain Jack Harkness' and 'End of Days'.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
-Torchwood on the Scene featurette
-Torchwood: On Time featurette
-Torchwood: Sex, Violence, Blood & Gore featurette
-Torchwood: On The Road featurette

This boxset is definitely worth getting. A triumph for BBC Wales.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›