on 14 August 2008
This is an excellent printer, with one important proviso.

Currently (August 14 2008) the HP Datasheet for this machine shows a maximum custom print capability of 330 x 2540mm. However, the supplied printer driver only permits a maximum of 330 x 482mm. Please note that the displayed maximum print length of 2540mm is incorrect. This is not the fault of Amazon.co.uk , who are reliant on information provided by manufacturers.
VINE VOICEon 1 October 2009
I gave up on Epson printers because of the cost of replacing entire colour cartridges when all that had run out was the cyan. I should've known better to try an HP. Everything else about Epson printers is rock and roll. Almost everything about the K8600 is like sitting in the front row of a Manilow concert in comparison. (Apologies to Manilow fans out there...)

So where do I start? The printer 9 times out of 10 sets itself to print to the banner setting by default, there by insisting that paper is loaded from the rear, not from the tray. (More on the tray later.) This is fine if you only EVER print banners, but naff-all use if, like 99% of the known world, you like to print on A4 or Letter a lot. So it tells you there's no paper. Took me a day to sort that one out by double checking that the page setup wasn't set to banner. This has to be done with EVERY print as it ignores the default paper setting in the Mac OS X preferences box.

Next, it can't print straight for toffee. I know it's not a photo printer but so what? Why can't it print straight on 6 x 4 and 7 x 5 paper? I don't know, it just can't.

And on we go. It can't even print solid colours very well, leaving a speckled band about half an inch from the bottom of EVERY print.

Nearly there. The paper tray is flimsier than Colin Powell's justification for war in Iraq.

We're on the final straight now! Stay with me! When it is actually printing, it is so heavy and violent that the carriage motion wobbles the desk. I kid you not.

Finally (phew), there's the interminable ages it spends talking to itself before condescending to print. Churning away, on and on and on (Bit like this review I know, but I had to vent somewhere!)

So are there any good bits? It has separate ink cartridges and take HP's extra large ones. Great. It looks alright. Whoopee. I thnk that's everything?... Yep, that's it.

Let's cut to the chase. Can I recommend this printer? Absolutely not. Would I buy HP again? Absolutely not. Do I think HP will take any notice of this review? Absolutely not.
on 28 April 2008
My well-loved HP cp1700 is no longer supported by HP (Vista problems) so I bought the K8600 in the expectation that it would be as good. It isn't. It's clever yes, and fast; but don't be fooled by HP's claim that the cartridges will print an average of 850 sheets - I have had to replace 4 cartridges and the 5th is low and I have managed a mere 157 prints, which makes it very expensive on ink.

Update: I am have now printed 232 sheets ( a mix of A4 and A3) and my SECOND yellow cartridge has just run out.
on 4 March 2011
a really bad buy. drinks the ink - we do not print out a lot of material preferring to save/read electronic copies but have been through three sets of very expensive cartridges since october 2010 - definitely more than previous printer. ink runs when you use a highlighter over it. misaligned headings for documents which subsequently print off very easily on other printers. multiple sheets of paper come through for no apparent reason. duplicate sets of documents come through - i'm blaming the printer - this didn't happen with the previous printer - and, yes, i did cancel printing for previous non-productive 'orders' when they didnt come through the first time. Now, when i go to print, my first thought is 'and what problem will i encounter this time?' I seem to spend more time trying to work out what is going wrong when all i want is a single pg printed out. honestly thinking of packaging it up and sending it back as a basically defective product. v disappointed - i would have regarded HP as a high quality manufacturer but this is printer does not do a good job.
on 18 May 2011
This printer allows long runs at economical costs, quality of printer excellent this comes from a person who isuse to Designjets at the top end for repro proofs to client. The machine is built for a price and the quality is as good as you need. There are excellent colour transfer to print from this machine IF YOUR MONITOR is set up right. There are too many people writing reviews with poor understanding of how colour works or expect the earth for next to nothing